PDA

View Full Version : New 22

Scubado
01-07-2001, 02:14 AM
Hello Everyone,

Sure am glad I found this website! I've been reviewing some of your topics and it seems you guys are very knowledgeable about Donzi's and share my enthusiasm for the Donzi line.

I purchased a New 22ZX (2000 model with Merc 350 Mag, Alpha drive 1.61 gear ratio)this spring and have some questions. The dealer in my area is new to the Donzi line and I thought some of you could help where they havn't been able to.

First, any suggestions on break in methods? I have finally been able to take the boat out this month and currently have about 5 hours on it. The book says to vary rpms and not run at any one speed for too long. Others have told me to run it hard. What is best and how long is the break in period? Any suggestions on fuel (octane additives etc.)?

Second, prop selection. The boat came with a Stainless 4 blade Bravo 22. The thing cavitated real bad and rpms were way high (speedo didn't work so unkown speed). Changed to a Bravo 24, I haven't pushed it too much but it seems to run @ about 63 mph (speedometer reading) @ 5000 rpms. The dealer told me it was a 70 mph boat and 63 is a long ways away from that. I don't want to get blown away by a Baja or Scarab.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Jeff

boldts
01-07-2001, 07:19 AM
Welcome to the Donzi Family Scoby! You've found the right place to meet other Donzi owners and get any information you would ever need. The members on this site either have tried it or know someone who has when it comes to the performance of a Donzi. Your a lucky guy to still be riding in your boat, all I can do is go out and sit in her in the garage due to our 20 degree weather. She likes the attention, and it makes me feel pretty good also.

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 07:25 AM
Hi Jeff, your statement is very true, this is an awesome resource for information, and opinions do very which make it even more valuable. My ZX is my first boat as an owner so I am no expert on most things but any comment I do make will be fact based on my own experience. Frank C on here has a 22ZX with the big block package and some engine mods and is very knowledable about many things from what I can tell by reading his posts.
I have a '99 22ZX with the same engine package and love it! I thought the ratio was 1 to 1.5, I will check my book today. As far as break-in, I would go with what your Merc books say and change the oil/filter often. I run '87 octane since that is what my book calls for. As far as how to drive it, I am know expert on breaking it in, but will say we did nothing special and did not baby ours, we like to go fast!!
Prop, we had the same number problems with MPH, tried 3 different set ups before arriving at a 4 blade Merc SS Bravo I 24" pitch. The performance guys at Donzi have all the answers. Our dealer provided us with all the props until the boat hit the advertised numbers (initially we was only getting 62/63. I get consistant 68MPH's and sometimes GPS reads 69/70. Many will argue those numbers are not attainable with the small block, I disagree, weight and water conditions are also a factor, plus the step hull design gives you a couple more MPH versus a straight V. My speedo pick-up clogs allot so I know the feeling, I unhook it just inside the transom and blow it out, the pick up is on the front of the outdrive.
Only one word of advice, be careful turning at high speeds until you get used to the boat. My boat handles turns best about 50MPH with trim tabs up and outdrive trimmed almost to the first notch on my Gaffrig II gauges, I assume you have the same gauges.
Also make sure the dealer gets your Zcare warranty paper work submitted, it is a real life/money saver. Donzi has stood by any problem I have had thus far, I have had several items replaced and now I live a long way away from my dealer so I deal direct with Donzi, they have been great!
Lastly, good luck enjoy the ZX. Maybe you will trailer to the KY get together in May! I am, it is a haul but will be a fun and educating experience for me I am sure.
R/Bryan
Send me a picture of the boat! What options did you get on it? tuvells@intercom.net

Frank Civitano
01-07-2001, 07:32 AM
Jeff,, No matter what you hear from other boaters claims your are in your ball park.. 63 is about right for the combination you have. The dealer claims 70 Because when they run a boat They go by the highest number bigger motor etc.. If you watch a boat test they will run that boat stripped in PERFECT conditions as many times as they have to, To get the number they want. A 454/385 gets 68 in a 22ZX and a 502 gets 72-74.
As far as a Baja. These guys are the biggest laughs, A 25 Outlaw is lucky to see 66 with a 502 and if it has a 454 try mid 50s. I used to eat them up when I had a stock 454 in my 22 Zx at 62mph. Forget a 24 thats even slower yet, Bad hull to bulky.
A Scarab 22 will be faster at 66mph, But they are not that good in rough water, Your hull is! The 22ZX has a great hull, Heavy for her size. She rides like a bigger boat. When a guy in a Baja claims 70 figure he is lucky that he is doing 60. When I won the Radar shoot out it was 97degrees with 90% Humidity and calm water. I went up against a 24 Baja, With a motor built up to 650hp with a blower ( He was my biggest threat) a 22 Donzi that had an Imco drive and a 502 and a few other assorted boats that were pretty much stock. I have 510hp out the prop. I hit 80 one time (Perfect Day) ran the heck out of a 30ft Hustler 2 502s and a 35 Fountain actually 35 boats I came in 3rd. Not Bad. Now Back to the Radar shoot out. I won first place at 72mph. My normal high is at 78mph and thats with all my hp. No one in a Baja or a scarab comes near me. If you have your blade lab finished that will help you pick one are two. The Bravo 1 is a little heavy compared to the alpha so you will loose 1-2 there. But you but you can put more hp thru. You can supercharge but that takes care of your waranty. (I know) ,But I wanted the speed!
Good luck and Welcome aboard
GREAT BOAT
http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
Frank Civitano

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 07:55 AM
Just went out and looked, my OD ratio is
1 to 1.62.
I see Frank has posted, I can't wait to see his boat! I love the look, check it out on the registry.
Good luck Jeff. Bryan

BigGrizzly
01-07-2001, 08:04 AM
Ok boys If you are reading the book for gear ratios STOP. Look on the left mid-section of the lower unit, it is stamped there. My son's 22ZX is totally stock with 454 1.50 ratio and turns a 24 bravo prop at 4800 rpms. If you have a 1.61 with a 24 bravo prop at about 5000 rpms that puts you right about the same speed. You won't believe how many Baha ha ha ha that run " 75 mph" that he beats. This is not to say one isn't going to kick your butt. On this lake we have a wealth of real high performance boats( none of them stock) that really do 75 mph. After one year the hull looks like the home of a spider.
Now WELCOME, glad you are here!!! Everyone on this board is as honest about their boats as they can be with an incessant love affair with their boats. I will have to admit that mine is the best looking one (TO ME).
Break-in-- Don't beat it to death, just drive like you are going to drive it. You have your inital break-in time, Now go out and have fun and love your DONZI.

Randy

Frank Civitano
01-07-2001, 08:27 AM
Randy. Cant wait to see yours in Orlando. Great talking to you

------------------
Frank Civitano

Frank Civitano
01-07-2001, 08:46 AM
Hi Jeff. Here is the best source of the breakdown of speed per rpms slip and prop. speedhttp://www.boatramp.com/prop_applet/PropAnalyzerAppletG.html

------------------
Frank Civitano

Frank Civitano
01-07-2001, 08:52 AM
Sorry the site came up wrong try this.
http://www.boatramp.com/prop_applet/PropAnalyzerAppletG.html

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 09:10 AM
Randy, I got my ratio off the drive unit, thanks, the book did not tell me anything specific, so I took this opportunity to go out, look and record the transom, OD and engine serial numbers in my book for ready reference, I know, geeky but what the hell...
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 09:16 AM
Question, what is % slip???
I used the link
24" 1.62 5000 70 and I got 70.14 MPH and 0 prop slip.
Frank could you give me all that in layman terms, on slip that is.
Thanks in advance.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 09:18 AM
With 68MPH I got 3.0592015 slip, I look forward to the explaination.
Bryan

Tom on Lanier
01-07-2001, 11:34 AM
Welcome aboard Jeff. This group will be valuable to you. You might want to contact Kathy and John Shahbas, also from AZ, who really have their bricks together on Donzi subjects.This can be seen in their three listings under "Boat Registry." Nice folks too.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

[This message has been edited by Tom on Lanier (edited 01-07-2001).]

Frank Civitano
01-07-2001, 12:12 PM
Every prop has slip. Alpha is usally 10-12% and a Bravo is around the same. Rpms, pitch, drive and slip. This will give you the actual speed. Hp doesent mean anything its the pitch and rpms that due.

Drive 1.5 pitch 21 rpms 5200 slip 10%=62.4 mph. A drive at 1.61 would be 57mph
always figure in prop slip at 10% to be fair with your speed. My Boat is 30pitch 4800rpms prop slip at 11%= 80.9mph about right on a good day. No prop even an Arneson has prop slip. Arneson is a lot lower so is any surface drive. But Mercruiser will tell you to factor the slip in at 10%. A 3 blade would be less but take off would be terrible a 23 pitch would be a 3 blade. You always increase the size of the pitch by 1 or 2 for a 3 blade mirage.

------------------
Frank Civitano

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 01:32 PM
Frank, I hate to sound so stupid but what is slip? (I am not to knowledgable on marine stuff.) I still don't get it, I have some idea after your last post but I am still lost? Help me out.
I hope you can explain it better for me, and anyone else who doesn't understand and might not ask.
Thanks for the link to Jackson's Marine, I have been watching their site for a second boat (another Donzi of course), I spent some bucks today on jackets etc while talking to Bob at Jackson's... maybe they will give you kick a back! LOL
Bob said they have numerous ZX's, 22, 26 and 28's. He said their best buy at the moment is a 26ZX with a 454MAG that they can't seem to move for about 60K even...
Thanks again Frank.
Bryan

BigGrizzly
01-07-2001, 01:55 PM
Theory- 24 inch prop will travel 24 inches through th water every rpm. However water isn't a solid, lower unit has drag, and water slide off to the sides. therefore slips through the water. This is a over smplication, get the Idea. also slip is general, some props slip less then others. My revolution 4 slips less than my marage plus. The engine is loades more with thr rev4 and they are the same pitch.
If Chris explanes it to you in his marine engenering lingo you may for get what color your boat is. More to come at lake Cumberland.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 01-07-2001).]

Frank Civitano
01-07-2001, 02:25 PM
Bryan.. Randy explained that very well, Water is not a solid and every blade has slip some more then others. I never got in to the whole thing. I just ask my buddies at Mercury racing what the best% to go by.

------------------
Frank Civitano

Frank Civitano
01-07-2001, 02:30 PM
Bryan.. My next hunny is a 28ZX, I love that boat. Got my eye on 2 of them twin 350s 300hp. One for 68,000 and the other at 72,
The boat shows are here!

------------------
Frank Civitano

BigGrizzly
01-07-2001, 05:03 PM
Lets see, 28 Donzi ZX, two 350 x two suprtchargers x two CMI exhausts, x two Babe Erson/BigGrizzly cams x two Imco shortie drives x megabucks x one New York poker run. Sounds like fun.

Randy
P.S I like spending other people's money. I'm really good at this!!

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Big Grizzly and Frank, I got it now. I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box at some things but I now see the light on what slip is all about. Thanks for the education.
Frank, I for some reason can see you in a 28ZX, charged, and you still beating the dash that you are going to slow (as you go through the 80's...)
Plus I don't know if we here on this site can handle another picture of you in bed with "another" trophy! For some reason I know that is only the first of many to come. OK, enough blowing Franks horn, Sorry guys..... forgive me!
Heat wave here, we hit 50... good enough to wash and wax the boat!
I am getting the new skeg welded on in the a.m. Then of to the glass shop to get some cracks repaired.
Of course the Donzi MUST look awesome going down the highway so the regular boaters here on the eastern shore can drool...
Bryan

RickSE
01-07-2001, 07:25 PM
Scubado,
Contact me if you ever come up north. I have an 18-Classic in Flagstaff and do most of my boating on Powell.

22ZX's come from the factory with a 24" Bravo-1. The dealer must have requested the 22" for higher altitudes. Where are you testing your boat at, Pleasant (1665ft.), Saguaro (1529ft)? Bravo-1's come in 1" pitch increments so you may also want to try a 23" for the Phoenix area lakes, or even a Lab-Finished 24". Your RPM's sound right but you should be able to spin it up to 5200 before hitting the rev limiter. A 23" will probably allow you to pick up another 100-200 RPM's. You also may want to have more than one prop on hand for different elevations. The 24" for Havasu, 22-23" for higher elevations.

You must remember though that the Factory spec. speeds are for boats running at sea level, I do hope the dealer told you that. You will begin to loose horsepower and speed as you come up in elevation, but then so will everyone else. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 01-07-2001).]

GEOO
01-07-2001, 09:30 PM
Frank, Randy, You guys are fast!!!! I didn't have a chance to respond.

Frank, a 28!!! HUM!!!!small blocks??

Jeff, How far are you from Lake Cumberland, southern Kentucky, (not far from Nashville). There's a Donzi rendezvous in April. GEOO

RickSE
01-08-2001, 09:12 AM
Frank,
Have you considered going with twin 6.2L's if you buy a new 28ZX. I "think" it only adds $2000/engine over the 350's. Also let me know if you want to shop around on pricing, we'd really like to sell a 28. I should have pictures next month of our new 22ZX with custom graphics and a 6.2L.

Scubado
01-08-2001, 10:30 AM
Thanks Everyone!

What a great response from you all. I wish my dealer could be so helpful. I'll post a picture of the boat later this week.

RickS, I'd really enjoy a trip to Powell. Is it boatable this time of year? I'm new AZ and haven't figured out the weather patterns yet. There was snow in Flagstaff when I was there in November. I'd love to see your Classic 18. My dad has one that he purchased new around 1967. It is still in showroom condition and has never been restored in any way. I'll post it next time I go home to visit.

Frank, sounds like you know how to get the most out of your 22. Think I'll wait for the warranty to expire on my boat before I do too much with it. My dealer told me that I'd get more speed from the stock 350 than the big bock... I should have known better. I know where there is a new 1998 28ZX (could be 1997) still in the showroom that you might get a deal on. I'm not sure what changes were made since the step hull was introduced. I was also looking at the 26 or 28 but went with the 22 because it was more trailerable and I was not close enough to the ocean to really get some use of the bigger boat. O.K. money was also a big issue.

The party in KY sounds fun. April is a long way away... how about some winter boating @ Lake Havasu?

Thanks again to everyone.

Jeff

RickSE
01-08-2001, 11:16 AM
Scubado,
Powell is boatable at times during the winter, depends on the weather though. I've been there in March, you just don't want to get in the water. If you've never been there and your new to AZ then you have to go, it'll blow you away. It certainly is one of the most beautiful lakes in the country. It's a long haul for you though since it's 4-hours from Phoenix, but a stop at Flag breakes it up. It's also fairly high in elevation, 3700 ft, so you'll loose some power & speed.

Havasu is certainly the best bet during the winter. It gets so VERY VERY hot there in the summer. I usually don't boat down south mainly because of the crowds. There shouldn't be any crowds this time of year, but the lake levels are still down. Pleasant looks like it's finally starting to come up though, down 50ft. last week. Here is a good site for water level info on AZ lakes. http://www.gf.state.az.us/frames/whatsnew/idx_frep.htm

Click on the lake level section.

You also may want to check out the Arizona Hot Boat Site if you haven't already. http://209.235.93.131/home.html

Send me an e-mail some time and we'll get in touch about a trip. lastviking@altavista.com

http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8031L596/18_4.jpg