PDA

View Full Version : Engine trim VS Trim Tabs

AGUESS
07-23-2000, 10:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

My question is, do you think there is enough room in a 1966 classic 18 to use a engine tirm unit. OMC made a trim unit that replaces the front engine mounts, and lifts the engine to trim the stern drive. I am concerned about the room or lack of room for the engine to be raised. This is a single hatch with a hood scoop.

My other option are trim tabs. So, what do you think?

Thanks for the help.

Alex.

Gearhead99
07-23-2000, 02:01 PM
Go with the tabs for sure. I put a set of heavy duty Bennetts on my '71 classic 18' and they are a real plus to handling.

RickR
07-23-2000, 07:25 PM
The OMC engine trim unit requires an HUGE transome mount with a BIG rubber bellows.
Don't even think about using it!!
RickR

Scott Pearson
07-23-2000, 08:17 PM
Trim tabs...the only way to go! as far as the trim tab pump goes...there is plenty of places to mount that. I went with the 12x12 Bennent Sport tabs. They have dual actuators and look pretty cool!

(NJ) Scott

AVickers
07-24-2000, 10:15 AM
If you HAVE to have trim at the drive (and you really don't if you've got a good tab setup) try to find a 280T setup and install it on your boat. This way, you can use your existing drive and you don't have to futz with a system that was stupid in the first place...pivoting the whole engine up and down to trim a prop as a way to get around someone else's patents not as a good engineering solution??????

I was looking at doing this some months ago and had located a Transom Plate to compare w/ my existing 280 plate. They are very similar... My guess is that it would be a fairly straightforward conversion.