PDA

View Full Version : oil presure high?

Eight_(8)_Ball
07-20-2000, 10:55 PM
hi all i just got this year a 72 classic with a chrysler 318 or 340, not exactly sure i cant make out the #s the previous owner though it was a chevy!any was at idle the guage reads 25psi at wot its 75psi. i ask if this is high because after a wot run not only does oil vapors vent ti the carb from the vent but the dipstick does not seat properly ans oil vapors collect on the exaust manifold and smokes and dirties the bilge .

GeneD
07-21-2000, 12:03 AM
Oil pressure is not going to make the oil come out of the dipstick tube. This is from piston ring blow-by. I fear that the vent tubes are spewing oil from the same malady.
I love oil pressure, it makes me feel that everything is okay in the motor. You know, like you're not going to be spinning bearings at the un-Donly RPM's we run these boats at. I've heard people say things like, "Oh no! You are going to blow the oil seals!" My answer is..."What oil seals?" The rear main crankshaft seals on Chevy's for instance, never see full pressure oiling, nor do the fronts. The only thing that 'may' blow is the rear cam cover, and I personally have never seen that happen.
But what you are describing doesn't sound like it is oil pressure related. Others might disagree and I'm interested in what they think.
Now high OP might make the rockers splash oil around alot and 'might' cause some oil to be blown through the hoses and get sucked up, but the vents should have baffles in them to prevent that. Aftermarket valve covers sometimes do not have these baffles and will cause problems.
I posted too soon without telling you how to check for blow-by. Run the motor and remove the hoses coming from the valve covers. If you see smoke/vapor coming out of them, you got blow-by. You could even remove the oil fill covers and get the same thing.
Let us know what happens.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 07-21-2000).]

AVickers
07-21-2000, 11:10 AM
Blowby!

I just pulled down a motor that appeared to be running fine, but was doing the same danm thing -- pushing the dipstick out and running a lot of vapor through the vent stack into the carb. Turns out that the top area of two cylinders were heavily pitted. The engine sat for a time before I bought the boat -- and my guess is that with the valves open to the exhaust, condensation formed around the tops of the pistons...

Eight_(8)_Ball
07-21-2000, 09:33 PM
i pulled the hoses off and yes smoke like vapor blows . the boat sat for a couple years also before i got it .seems to run fine though? hmmmmm d@m!

Gearhead99
07-22-2000, 09:51 PM
As everyone else has stated. The high oil pressure will not cause the "blowby". Crankcase pressure causes it. If it blows out of the valve covers, there is a problem. Usually it is excessive blowby, which means worn/broke piston rings, sometimes even a broken/cracked piston. But, all engines have blowby. If the piston moves down it has to displace space and cause crankcase pressure. Usually the PCV system handles this or what ever kind of breather system your engine has. First make sure the engine has some sort of crankcase ventilation system. Next, make sure that is operating, sometimes it is clogged. Make sure that you have something to baffle the breathers on the valve covers or it will blow out. If the covers have no baffles buy some of those filler caps that are larger and have a hose fitting on the top to vent to aircleaner or exhaust. Mopar style or early Ford style.

If all that is OK and it still blows oil, it is internal