PDA

View Full Version : Shameless advertising OT

seano
07-20-2000, 08:12 AM
Shame on you for such a low and unconscionable advertising campaign. An ad which preys on the misfortunes of others is as low as you can possibly go. You must be getting desperate to sell boats to try such a stunt. And by the way, I believe one of your boats did spin out recently--check the APBA message board. Your boats are not as safe as you say. Your name should not even be used in the same sentence as Dick Bertram and Don Aronow(at least spell his name correctly)---they would never stoop as low as you in an attempt to sell boats.

And, to clarify for those considering purchasing a Velocity or any boat with a pad...these boats are inherently unstable at high speeds---with the lack of a V at the back of the boat, the hull "searches" for a place to go and does not track very well.

For those considering a a stepped bottom or ventilated hull, this design is tricky and has been perfected by several builders, but does require a diferent kind of thinking while running the boat. In a traditional, full V bottom, we trim drives in whiel going into a turn...on a Stepped bottom, you must refrain from this, as it brings the bow down and consequently the stern up, causing the boat to spin out.

Opinions welcome.
http://www.velocityboats.com/Press%20Release/URGENT.htm

Moral of thius story---buy a Donzi.

Forrest
07-20-2000, 08:51 AM
I agree Seano, it looks like the Velocity people will do anything to make a sale. Unfortunately, I think that this type of ad campaign will send many potential customers elsewhere. The part of that web-page that really bothers me is:

"Steve Stepp was the first to design the pad bottom and Stepp (or Notched Transom) for offshore boats in 1978. These designs have been copied and used more than Dick Bertram or Don Arronow's so called designs in Hi-Performance offshore boats."

What a bunch of crap. They must think that Steve Stepp is God or something. Velocity boats have a wide flat pad on the bottom of their hulls, which essentially makes them flat-bottom boats. Flat-bottom boats are fast . . . in smooth water that is. But they suck in rough water. Yep, a Velocity boat is not in the same league as a Donzi, Cigarette, Magnum, or Powerplay. But wait, where are the notched transoms and pads on these boats? Couldn't the engineers at these so-called "Aronow" design companies make an even better, faster hull by coping Stepp's designs? They would, only if they wanted to make Don's designs run slower in rough water - which ain't going to happen!

------------------
Forrest

GeneD
07-20-2000, 09:47 AM
Wow!
What a thing to be putting on their website!
They must be having a hell of a time selling their "Steve Stepp" hull design.
What gives?
And on the same note, I was present when the boat in question at the St. Cloud race "stuffed". I don't think the driver was paying close enough attention to water conditions when he wrecked. It was my understanding that they were an observer boat and were in the process of determining who was in what place. I am truely sorry that they were both hurt, but man...that is racing, not hull design that caused that.
Velocity has got some explaining to do to the internet readers and boaters at large for such a slam.
And as far as the "Steve Stepp" design being copied more than the Dick Bertram or Don Aronow designs, well...that is pure BS. I do not think there is a more copied design than the Formula, Donzi, Magnum, Cigarette, Squadron 12 or even Blue Blunder (oops I mean Thunder) boats of Aronow fame.
What really kills me is that this was supposed to be an "Urgent Press Release".
Gee, I don't think that I saw this in any boating publication. It should read "Urgent Fake Press Release".
And as far as their race boats are concerned, I have had tremendous respect for them. They run hard and occasionally win. This is the way to sell boats, Don knew that and capitilized on it. The best way to up your sales is to be World Champion, Don did it many times, and in style. I haven't heard of Don ever slamming other companies designs.
Very poor taste by Velocity.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 07-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 07-20-2000).]

Frank Civitano
07-20-2000, 04:24 PM
I left them my 2Cents on OFFSHORE.com

------------------
Frank Civitano

Varyak
07-20-2000, 10:23 PM
Cheap website, cheap shots, cheap (construction) boats. This is the sound of death...
Mark

GeneD
07-21-2000, 10:58 AM
FrankC,
Where, I didn't see it.
And if anybody doesn't know what we are talking about, we are dicussing the APBA-Offshore.com message board - hopefully!
Frank, I just read all the stuff on there and I have a pit in my stomach and I'm not exaggerating.
I want to post so badly, but I fear retailation from most of the members.
Also, being in my present position, I think it wouldn't bode well for me to start making waves, I may be penalized for wreckless thread postings!!!!!!!
I can hardly believe some of the things they are saying about Jerry G. and Reggie F.
It's out of control and I am really uptight over all the slamming.
Some of the things being said were obviously long standing opinions of people that couldn't be told in the past. Now that everyone is slamming them, everyone that has a negative opinion is opening up. I'm appalled.
As for Mr. Fountain and SBIP, let me say this. Cigarette was taken to court recently and supposedly owes some finance company $600,000. Reggie came to the rescue after Cigarette dropped their sponsorship from both sanctioning bodies due to their financial problems.
We owe him that much.
I don't think we owe him a checkered flag for V-76, and the threat of taking away the sponsorship just has me baffled.
Thing is, and you all know this is true, next year is going to be very different. I for one am a bit frightened for the future of SBIP and APBA.
US Offshore is defunct now, will these other two go the same route without Fountain's support? Reggie has been racing for years, and let me tell you something that everyone knows or should know. Don't talk the talk, unless you can walk the walk. Reggie has proven himself many many times, I am proud to know him.
As for Jerry G., I don't know him. I met him once and I'll bet he don't remember me.
I'll bet he remembers that damn boat of mine though, and I hope to Don none of those guys read The Classic Donzi Registry.
Jerry G. scares me.

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

Forrest
07-21-2000, 03:13 PM
GeneD. I think that FrankC put his 2-cents in at OffshoreOnly.com (http://www.offshoreonly.com).

------------------
Forrest

EricG
07-21-2000, 04:31 PM
Excellent post on Offshoreonly.com Frank, you made your point without needing to put down every other boat on the water - something that most people on that list don't seem to be able to do. I guess thats why I like this list, the flamers all seem to stay away.

BTW - be careful with that thing!!

EG