PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel

Spitfire Dave
07-19-2000, 08:12 AM
I need a new steering for a 1981 18' 2+3. I want to keep the original look of the boat, but can't find one locally. The original is a three spoke with a thick white cover. The auto shops have Grant wheels in black, but the spokes are chrome instead of stainless. I saw a posting awhile back that listed a Canadian supplier, but I did not write any info down. I saw a new Fountain in Powerboat or Hot Boat mag with the same wheel so they must still be being produced. Thanks for any info. Spitfire Dave

Forrest
07-19-2000, 09:07 AM
That white Fountain steering wheel is a little different than the white wheel that Donzi used; however, I think that the Fountain wheel would work great as a replacement on a classic Donzi. I would bet that the Fountain steering wheel is custom built for Fountain. Try giving Fountain's parts dept a call. Let us know what you find out.

------------------
Forrest

Hotboat
07-19-2000, 10:33 AM
Just happen to be holding a brand new white steering wheel in my hand. The OEM wheels were made by Covico and can be purchased thru California Marine. They are in B.C. Canada. The phone number is 604-278-1880 & the fax is 604-278-6040. Ask for Dave. They are not cheap but are correct.

------------------
Hotboat

Forrest
07-19-2000, 01:55 PM
How much is "not cheap"? . . . or should I ask?

------------------
Forrest

oldLenny
07-19-2000, 03:29 PM
The price is $199.00 Canadian (about $130.00 US) for a " covico white foam grip, polished stainless steel 3-spoke wheel,14 1/2" in diameter,less delivery.

There is an adapter available (under the wheel) for the transition from a 3/4" taper to this above part. Early Donzi's (apparently)new's to me as I am getting educated, had a square shaft coming up. There is no adapter for that. The adapter is available in anodized red, blue or gold. Price is $84.00 Canadian (about $53.00 US) There is also a stainless steel "snap plate" or "horn cover" available in stainless steel. That is available for $29.98 Canadian (about $20.00 US) Instead of that there is also a billet aluminum cover , (snap ring) c/w 6 allen keys for fastening, and available in 3 colours of anodizing as well. Price is $88.00 Canadian.(about $58.00 US) These are available from the aforementioned California Marine and again, please ask for Dave. He seems quite informed...

Scott Pearson
07-19-2000, 08:53 PM
Lenny,
Ok...Now I'm lost. What adapter? I have a 1968 18 2+3 with the Teleflex steering and the only adapter that was there was the one that got bolted to the tapered shaft. This has a Key way and four bolts to mount the steering wheel. Does this company have the piece that went on before the steering wheel? It looks like a 2 1/2 inch cover? Dome shaped?

Thanks
(NJ) Scott

oldLenny
07-19-2000, 10:47 PM
I would phone Dave to discuss this. We're three hours behind you people so they open about 11:00 am your time.He seems to have a lot of answers...let me know

Forrest
07-20-2000, 09:05 AM
Lenny, the square-taper steering shaft you mention sounds like an older Quicksilver Ride-Guide steering system, which, by the way, was a great steering system. All Donzis that I've seen either old new, with cable or hydraulic steering, use the now standard "Teleflex" taper with a keyway. The original Donzi wheel used the old three-bolt Grant pattern, which requires an easy to obtain adapter.

------------------
Forrest

Scott Pearson
07-20-2000, 09:22 AM
Forrest,
Where do you think I can get that Grand adapter? let me know if you can...Mine is kind of ratty.

thanks (NJ) Scott

Hornetman
07-20-2000, 10:07 AM
OK, Does thhis wheel have the black dot on the center spoke? Where the foam meets the spoke there should be a black dot molded into the foam????

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

Forrest
07-20-2000, 11:07 AM
If I recall correctly, I saw one in either the Rex Marine (http://www.rex-marine.com/) or CP Performance (http://www.cpperformance.com/) catalog. There is one in the Grant catalog (found at Pep Boys and other auto supply houses)that is an all stainless marine unit, but the center cap on the Grant-brand unit is ugly and is not correct for restoration.

------------------
Forrest

oldLenny
07-20-2000, 02:10 PM
The white wheel ,(Covico) does not have a black dot thru California Marine. There was a time when there was a black foam covered wheel with a white dot but these apparently are long since gone. The 3/4 Grant taper adapter is what is in stock at California Marine. Three bolts. The "snap ring cover" with the regular "horn button" is a piece that bolts on top of the wheel with the three bolts passing through it and tightens to the adapter below the wheel. It has "tabs" that allow for the button to snap on. The other version with the 6 allen bolts, billet aluminum, goes directly on top of the wheel and three bolts pass through it to tighten to the adapter below and three of the allen bolts are dummy's.