PDA

View Full Version : 93 - Classic questions

Mark Albers
04-02-2002, 11:50 PM
Donzi Aficionados :rolleyes:

I have a 93 22 Classic with the OMC King Snake
I cant seem to get the check screew for the lower unit oil off

Is a special tool needed ???
(I tried using a large screw driver with a cresent wrench)
It seem to want to strip the head of the screew

Also

I need to replace the engine cover supports
I would like to go with a bigger size
(as to raise the cover higher)

Please advise

Mark :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory & far from a dream)

RickR
04-03-2002, 11:46 AM
Mark
Buy (or borrow) a impact driver for the drain screw. The screw has a rubber grommet. I wouldn't use heat, it might damage the paint.

RedDog
04-03-2002, 12:40 PM
Are you referring to the top screw with level indicator or the bottom fill/drain plug?

If the top, I had a similar problem once. Found/made/improvised a tool that would completely engage the slot. Don't remember exactly what I used - may have been the back side of a large knife blade?

Bad-Tat
04-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Check out a motorcycle shop for a three way large flat screwdriver looking tool. One of the arms fits that screw perfectly!! Normally used to take off some Honda case timing plugs.

Donzified
04-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Fastenings with a rubber type gaskets may require constant pressure over time as opposed to a smart, fast, breaking action as with some metal to metal fasteners.
More than that "the right screwdriver for the right screw"...

MOP
04-03-2002, 06:48 PM
Being the old fart OMC mech, you have to use an impact driver try to get the Snap-On hard blue steel tip it is almost the exact width. Also very important DO NOT FILL THAT DRIVE FROM THE bottom hole it will air lock. They are very specific in the manual fill from the hole by the cav plate just keep checking the top for level. Also on the port side there is a snake sticker(If its still there) under that sticker is what looks like a flush or fill plug. Another NO NO it is just a manufacturing hole that is ment to stay plugged. I my self unscrewed one when we first got the Cobras took an hour or so of hair pulling to get the pieces back in place. If you want to pick up about 75-100 RPM find a Mobil One dealer and get there gear oil. I got a full 100RPM on my 91 16 with a Cobra, they also say its runs alot cooler and I believe them.

RickR
04-03-2002, 07:41 PM
My 90 King Cobra (Cone Clutch) filled from the bottom (Sorry Phil but no hole on the cavitation plate on the late model King Cobra). The King circulates gear lube to the top to keep the upper gear set cool. This requires a large conduit between the top and bottom.

Drive requires 103.1oz.

To fill gearcase I use a modified garden sprayer. I like the opaque type. Draw a line with a majic marker on the resevoir for the amount required to fill the gear case and only fill sprayer with that amount of gear lube.

I only used OMC Hi-VIS on the King.

Mark Albers
04-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Donzi Aficionados :) :)

Thanks for the advise
I guess a drag link socket might work

What about the engine cover struts ???
Is it possible to go to a longer rod ???

Thanks again

Mark :cool: :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory & far from a dream)