PDA

View Full Version : Proplems :)

Moody Blu'
04-02-2002, 07:01 PM
I have the volvo 250 drive.

It seems like the prop wont come off the shaft.

I tried bending the retaining rings back with no luck.

I even put the drive in gear and tried to unscrew the cone either way and it wouldnt budge.To give you an example of how much force was used either way, the motor was turning. :o

does the cone have reverse threads?

anyone know a way to get the prop off? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I feel so dumb....

mattyboy
04-02-2002, 07:43 PM
moody, hope this helps
I have the 250 as well but I beleive the shaft on mine has been replaced, I have a spinelli prop with a special tool to remove it( the prop looks like a std merc thru hub exhaust) but i do have the old cone in front of me and has far as I can tell the threads look std righty tighty the cone has a hole horizontally thru it almost at the point and a hole vertically right at the point and at the base the notches for the lock ring. when was the last time the prop was off might have some seisure going on there, they might have a penatrating oil at west marine, like throwing hot water on 2 dogs!!!!
matt

Moody Blu'
04-02-2002, 09:09 PM
:o ya I didnt want to mention the word "seizure" :o
anyone else?
I need suggestions!

big griz?

I know its prolly a volvo only related problem.

Moody Blu'
04-03-2002, 11:16 AM
ya I checked the lock tab, it still wouldnt move.....

I will give it a shot next time I see her, moody that is.....

ill throw some penetrating lube in there and see if that helps.

Steven Cohn
04-03-2002, 12:05 PM
MB,
You might try adding some heat (w/a torch) to the cone/nut. The heated nut will expand and should break the molecular bond.
Steven

BigGrizzly
04-03-2002, 10:58 PM
Moody, The tabs must be all the way down. The spinner is aluninum with a giant monel heili-coil on it and is not hardened. There are three types. One is two piece, with locking tabs, two is a single piece with locking tabs, and three is the first piece of the two piece without locking tabs. All have a hole in the center for a allen lock bolt(except for Scott Bolt who uses a standard bolt instesd) that must be removed. The earlier modles don't have the shaft drilled to accept the screw.

I have a hardened tapered punch about 18 inches long and a 3/4 inches long. I wedg a block of wood to hold the prop then I indrt it in the hole and turn the spinner off. It is not an easy job that spinner gets really tight. If corroded than you heat and squirt some liquid whench or Knock-er-loose in the hole and around the locking tab then let cool to suck the fluid in and then try again.If this doesn't work you may have to saw the spinner off. Be carefull don't saw off the shaft. I did make a giant spanner wrench with two 3/8 hardened pins and a long handle spiciffically for this problem. It dissapeared about 5 summers ago with a big splash.

Randy

Moody Blu'
04-05-2002, 01:05 AM
Thanks guys, Ill apply some heat and put a block of wood by the prop. and ill get a breaker bar.
other wise its hack saw time!

:D

Ralph Savarese
04-05-2002, 07:09 AM
shoot the torch right through the locking bolt hole . you will need a new cone nut when you get it off!!
Ralph