PDA

View Full Version : Volvo propeller/shaft question...

Tony
07-18-2000, 07:22 PM
Would my propshaft (being 3 7/8" splined and 1" threaded for a total length of 4 7/8") be considered standard or "long shaft"? The thrust ring is 1/2" and a washer is 3/16".

A 3" splined prop works great with my prop cone and locking tab washer system, but a 3 7/8" hubbed prop only leaves 1" of threads showing and no means of locking since my shaft is not tapped. Currently I can run a prop like that with a standard 5/8" washer/nut socked on snug. Haven't lost it yet! (Famous last words...)

While surfing I found a site with Volvo propshaft drawings and dimensions, and views of the two different types of prop cones & parts (Allen-bolt/tapped shaft, or the lock washer system with no hole in the cone for an allen bolt - this being an earlier method). Of course I didn't bookmark it. Also, the Volvo microfiche site seems to be gone..is that true?

I am still looking for a Volvo Ultra LH 14 x 24, presuming I can make it work on my shaft. Janet Stead of Advantage Propeller says it will not, but I've read the thread here that says it will. Looks like I will drill my shaft and buy a new style cone, from all that I have gathered so far. Am I on the right track? Any sources for the Ultra prop? THANKS!