PDA

View Full Version : SKEG repair question, Alpha I Sec Gen

Bryan Tuvell
12-29-2000, 12:22 PM
Hello to all, I have a question... I have a chip out of my outdrive skeg, a big chip for that matter... anyway, my two options were a stainless skeggard cover ($95) or have a new Merc Skeg ($26.00)welded on. I opted for the new Merc skeg option. It appears a bit bigger from the box but my Merc parts guy swears it is the right one. I have not figured out who to get to weld it on yet. My question is? Is there any special precautions while welding on the new? I will take the boat to some marine place hear on the shore, my options are very limited in the remote area that I live. Eighty miles to the other side the price to install is $112.00. Is that reasonable?
Thanks in advance.
Bryan
PS. see every one in KY!

Donzi Customer Service
12-29-2000, 12:42 PM
Bryan,

If you can get a new skeg welded on for $112.00, I'd jump on it. That's a very reasonable price.

Donnie

[This message has been edited by Donzi Customer Service (edited 12-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Donzi Customer Service (edited 12-29-2000).]

Forrest
12-30-2000, 09:47 AM
. . . just be careful not to let 'em heat the gear case up two much . . . It shouldn't be a problem unless its broken off close to the gear housing, otherwise the lower unit should be dissassembled prior to welding to prevent damage to the O-rings and seals.

------------------
Forrest

Bryan Tuvell
12-30-2000, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the comments. I have spoken to a few places here on the shore, with that in mind I am going to opt to drive to the otherside (va beach) and let the big marina do the wotk just to be safe.
Thanks again.
Bryan

GEOO
12-30-2000, 07:29 PM
Bryan, The Weld job sounds like a bargain!!! GEOO