PDA

View Full Version : my dream is getting close....please help me on this

Laidback
04-02-2002, 04:23 PM
I have found two boats that I want..

same year...one C22 has a 7.4(310) and the other a 454(385) mag. Both boats equal but the 454 mag boat is 4 grand more.

Will the 7.4 be good enough or put out more dough for the Mag.

Thanks...this board has been great helping me out.

FASTEDDIE
04-02-2002, 04:39 PM
If you can afford it, go for the mag (385 HP). It has TRW pistons and alot of better quality parts than the 310 HP. And after you boat for a year with the 310 HP, what's the first question that comes to mind? How can I make this go faster and how much do I have to spend to pull the engine, change some components and reinstall the engine. I have a 502 and the 454 mags run with me. Offer a little less and I think you can bring the difference down to $2000.00. Then you have to go with it. Good Luck and let me know how you make out. wink wink

cummins
04-02-2002, 05:03 PM
The whole point of the classic is not only to look fast... but to go fast. You can't use the power if you don't have it but you can always throttle down. :D

RickR
04-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Depends on condition of engines. If they are salt water engines(I see your from the Sunshine State) they will need to be replaced when 5 to 10 years old. $4000 will go a LONG way toward a new crate engine like a 454HO or 502.

CDMA
04-02-2002, 08:17 PM
I agree with Rick. Assuming both boats are equal get the 310 run it at WOT till the thing blows to kingdom come then take the 4k and go from there. The 310's are poor hi performance engines but as long as you don't modify it then it should at least be reasonably reliable.

Chris

Stix Magill
04-02-2002, 08:23 PM
Rick has a great point. If the boat has been used in salt water, buy the cheaper one and start saving for your next engine. Neither will feel "too fast" a year later.

But what do I know.

FASTEDDIE
04-02-2002, 08:39 PM
How about"If the boat has been used in salt water, find a fresh water boat". I don't know about you guys, but who wants to buy a boat and from the day you get it, your dream is to blow the engine to get a newer one. That doesn't make any sense to me.

RickR
04-02-2002, 09:10 PM
Fasteddie
I don't know about intentionally blowing one up but alot of us like to turn our own bolts to make our toy perform better than when it was purchased. :D

CDMA
04-02-2002, 09:13 PM
Owned my 18 3 years.... engine in and out 6 times. Third drive combo...on second thought don't listen to me... Nah seriously though yanking an engine is cake. I can have mine in and out in less than about 6 hours.

Chris

Formula Jr
04-02-2002, 09:15 PM
???????????????????
Uhmmmmm...errrrrr...
da uhhhaaa...huuurrrmmmm....
Ahwwwwwww... :confused:

Never mind....
:D :D :D

Laidback
04-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the insight...

The mag is a brand new(one year old) merc remanufactured and the 310 has slight saltwater use( 25 hrs of 50 hrs total in salt). The mag has been sitting for a year after winter damage was fixed and never in salt water (St. Johns River).

RH
04-03-2002, 03:32 AM
Ok, I may step on some toes, but this is my humble opinion, so take it for what it is worth. I like to spend my free time on the water. Are you looking for a project to tinker with or one that you will want to upgrade from the start? If so, then go with the 310. Remember, it only costs a little more to go first class! I would spend the money up front for the Mag. Every time that I bought something for less, I have always regretted it. Later on, the money issue didn't seem as big as it was at the time of purchase. Good luck, it always seems to work out.

Stix Magill
04-03-2002, 08:24 AM
Since the 454 mag is fresh and clean, go for it! You will get many years out of it and it will give you a bigger thrill. We didn't realize that these engines were both so fresh.

CDMA
04-03-2002, 08:55 AM
If the mag is almost new then it is a much harder decision. I think I might even change my thoughts and go with the mag....just can't make up my mind... :confused: :confused:

Laidback
04-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Well fellas,

It looks like I will be going with the Mag. WTF right? The boat is in excellent condition and I offered 2 grand less and it looks like he will take it. I will update the board with pics when everything hopefully is finalized. I never thought when I started that I would get myself in a boat with a 454, I thought the max would be around a 350 5.4. Oh well, time to have fun.

Two things that do concern me are gas and the Bravo one with 150 hours. Maybe one of those plutonium engines will come out soon and help me on gas. The Bravo one has been sitting for some time so I will bring a mechanic friend to look over. Anything I should be looking for on the Bravo one?

Once again...thanks for all the insight and opinions.

BigGrizzly
04-03-2002, 11:28 PM
Either choice would have been good. I like your choice. The other one would have been good too. Don't look for trouble in the Bravo if it is there it will find you. Just change the gear lube before you run it, don't wait. It has been sitting for a year and may never have been changed.

Randy

Stix Magill
04-03-2002, 11:39 PM
Laidback,

Grease and oil everything and have some fun! If gas is a concern (it always is) cruise 80% of the time and open it up when you get the urge. You will see huge difference in the fuel burned between cruise and WOT. The 454 will probably cruise nicely at 40 to 50 mph at half the gas consumption as WOT. We wish you the best! I am jealous! Go!!!