PDA

View Full Version : Paint

TBrannigan
12-29-2000, 09:18 AM
Guys,

I really want to get my 87' 22 “refinished” The boat’s in great shape but the top side is terribly faded. Can anyone recommend a process, products or even better point me in the direction of someone who can do the work? I have the motor out so now’s the time! I live in CT. I know some auto body guys who come highly recommended for car work. If I get them the right products do you think they can handle the job? Your thoughts?

Terry

Jamie
12-30-2000, 07:33 AM
During complete refinishing of hull and cockpit I have found that regardless of what kind of paint you use, polyester primer and epoxy sealer should be applied prior to painting. I expect to get my boat back after 5 weeks in the booth on January 5th and am going to spend the next few months in the garage reassembling my 1966 - 18' 2+3 Donzi. Good Luck!

Ralph Savarese
12-30-2000, 09:44 AM
You are talking about epoxy primer Right what type of paint are you using on the hull bottom.

Jamie
12-30-2000, 11:07 AM
ralph, its polyester primer. on fiberglass this stuff really locks on. i was referred to this by a couple of PPG reps. obviously, i am using PPG paints throughout. the guy painting the boat wanted to use epoxy no-sand sealer prior to painting. i decided to use it because it is a superior sealer. the polyester primer rises when applied and when sanded blends all the little imperfections. then apply the epoxy sealer followed by colors. beware of the polyester primer shelf life. we had problems getting some that had not gone off in the can already. i'm not an authority on paint, this is just the way i did my boat.

BigGrizzly
12-30-2000, 10:26 PM
Jamie I think you have it backwards. I sealed with epoxie than painted polyester. Fiberglass is very porous and fish eyes if not sealed correctly. This is the way it is described in the Interlux paint manual and the way I did it.

Scott Pearson
12-31-2000, 09:13 AM
I work for PPG Industries. Im a Territory Manager in NJ for Refinish. I will be happy to answer all your questions. I used all PPG product on my 1968 2+3. Im in the process of finishing the deck right now and the hull is done. I went a little crazy and used all Pearls and Luminescence over top of the two colors. Looks like a stock paint sceem but when the sun hits it it comes alive.

Let me know your questions and I will try and help.

(NJ)Scott

Ralph Savarese
12-31-2000, 09:35 AM
Scot, do they make any of those products in a roll on . i am comcidering all Awlgrip products because they can be rolled or sprayed.Spraying is a problem at home.
Ralph

Scott Pearson
01-02-2001, 11:50 AM
Sorry no roll-on. I just cant see something that gets rolled on looking all that great. We have a rollable primer. Works ok. I can see adhesion problems down the road with something that rolls on. You have no in air loose of solvents...They could get traped in the film if not done right.

(NJ)Scott

TBrannigan
01-02-2001, 01:46 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the offer to answer questions...you might live to regret it! Are you doing the work yourself? I'd love to find someone to do mine for me. Can you suggest anyone? Where can I go for info on the PPG products? Can any good body shop manage them or are there enough differences between painting a car and a boat to make you worry? Drop me a line if you don't mind. tbrannigan@kpmg.com. 203.406.8084

Thanks!