PDA

View Full Version : 18’ 2+3 Weight

Looped
12-29-2000, 07:56 AM
I need to buy a cheap new trailer to make one road trip (about 400miles round trip) so that I can get my +-32 year old/new toy home. Once at home it will be on a boat dolly in the garage for a couple of years for its major surgery (restoration). After the trip I will be selling the trailer because of no need for a trailer until the Classic is finished. At that time I will get an Aluminum I beam trailer for it.

Here is the question, going through different spec sheets over the years for this model they show a wide weight change.

Barrel Back years 66–69:#1650 lbs.

70 – mid 90’s: #2250 lbs.

Mid 90’s – present: #2600 lbs.

Wouldn’t you think that the older years would weigh in more since the hulls were thicker back then? I realize that these weights would be slightly different depending on the Motor/Outdrive Package that was ordered. If this is so, were is the weight being added to the newer Classics?

Just a thought.

Craig

BigGrizzly
12-29-2000, 10:04 AM
You are part right hulls were heavier then. but engines were smaller and out drives lighter and weaker. My Corsican is origional and weights 150lbs plus heivier than advertised in1971. Our 1966 16 is 200 lbs heavier, and we bought it new. What you need is a 3000 trailer with atleast 14 inch wheels to get home safe. If you buy a junker, bring wheel bearings with you. If in doubt keep your speed low and safe. We need al the good Donzi guys we can get!
Maybe you can borrow one from sombody or rent one.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 12-29-2000).]

CDMA
12-29-2000, 10:24 AM
Buy once and buy right.

Looped
12-29-2000, 01:59 PM
BigGrizzly,
I went out earlier today to look at a 3k# trailer. It's setup for an 18' 2000 Skeeter Bass boat. I figure if I raise the bunks up enough for the ride, then put the originals back on I should be all set to sell it. It's a great deal, this Dealer bought about 100 of these from a Dealer gone south (Chap 11). I have tried to look into renting a trailer, but the closest place around was in S. Carolina. The smallest trailer that my friends have is for a 27 foot Baja ( just a bit too loonngg). I lost my two front teeth on it coming back from Martha’s Vineyard, but that’s another story.

Chris,
I already have a Popup camper on the side of the house. Adding an empty trailer there I think the Wife and neighbors really don't want to be looking at a yard like the 22' Classic you just bought. When it’s time I’ll buy a nice trailer, for now the money goes into the boat.

Thanks,
Craig

boldts
12-29-2000, 02:54 PM
Craig,
Any chance that a dealer nearby might ship the boat for you at a reasonable cost? You would have to spend some cash, but at least you wouldn't have to buy a trailer if you could talk them into delivering the boat to your home. If I could afford one of those nice Rolls trailers, I would let you pick it up and use it to get your Donzi home before delivering it to me. Recent developments just won't let me do it this year though. Good Luck in your efforts.

Scott Boldt

RickR
12-29-2000, 04:13 PM
Borrow the 28' trailer. Just tie her down good especially the bow and stern eyes.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

GEOO
12-29-2000, 04:25 PM
Craig,
In 1999 I purchased a Towmaster Alum. Trailer Model 18-19S, single axle with the following options Disc brakes, Torsion axle, spare tire and for my X18. The Trailer delivered from Fla. to my door cost $ 1,952.00. I think the base trailer cost around $ 1,300.00. I have trailered the boat from Fairfield, CT to Toledo, Ohio and back at 70-80mph (knock on wood) no problems. Call them for a price (800)570-6070. GEOO

Scott Pearson
12-31-2000, 09:27 AM
Looped,
Did you ask for two front teeth for X-Mas?
Any hoooo....My 2 cents...Yor going to need a trailer for the restoration. If you dont have one your going to wish yo did. Im using 2 trailers right now for my restoration. The Rolls has the hull on it for good now. The ****ty trailer has the deck on it. This way I can move them around when I need to. I have a 3 car garage and I still move things in and out. When one thing is drying Im working on another. Well, Not this weekend....12 inches of snow...ARRRRR!

(NJ)Scott

Looped
12-31-2000, 01:33 PM
Scott,
The teeth episode happened about four years ago in the Jay Miller Poker run that starts at pier 37 in Falmouth,MA. Not sure if anyone knows Harry Turner that runs "OBSESION", but it's right there. I had my teeth replaced with Porcelain ones (new thing these days I guess).

For the trailer thing, for now it will sleep in the garage for a year or 2 while I buy everything first and I mean it needs everything. Thankfully from this site I have learned that you need to buy all the parts first before you start the restoration. That's the plan for now anyway.

My plan for the trailer was always about a three thousand bounder, but I just thought it was strange to see about a thousand pound difference from the first Classic to the latest.

12 inches, you guy stole all the snow from us. We only got about 6 inches up here.

Drive fast, take chances!
Craig

GeneD
01-06-2001, 08:22 AM
Craig,
My personal experience has been that you can get someone to pick that boat up and deliver it to you very reasonably.
They shipped my 30' Trojan from LI to FLA for around $1800 total, distance of over 1300 miles. They picked it up, put it on their trailer, and delivered it to my marina where they took it off with the slings.
You won't need slings, it should come off relatively easy.
Check this out before going out on a journey that is going to cost you a ton of money for fuel, and maybe problems on the way or return. 400 miles is a long way big fella!
But I will say this, if I were you, I would borrow the Baja trailer.
------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

[This message has been edited by GeneD (edited 01-06-2001).]

Looped
01-06-2001, 11:16 AM
Gene,
After calling every trailer and boat dealer in New England (seemed like it anyway), I found a place called Quality Rental in Pawtucket, RI that rents boat trailers. In doing so I found a used bunk trailer that I can use to move around the yard. I just got rid of my F150 Supercab http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif for a Tahoe so I need to see how it does on road trips anyway (so I can hit more Winston Cup races with it, Loudon is close but very boring http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif ).

Thanks,
Craig

boldts
01-06-2001, 12:45 PM
Looped,
Ahhhh... A NASCAR fan and a Donzi owner all in one. Sorry about the bad press Louden has received over the deaths of drivers this past year. I have a great short track not to far from me called Bristol Motor Speedway. I had been going to the August night race since they lit the track for that race. I didn't go last year due to a falling out with the friend who's name the tickets were in. No luck getting my own set this year, but I'm on their waiting list which I'm told is very long. In my opinion, this is one of the best races on the NASCAR schedule. Never a dull moment.
Just 2 cents from the Midwest. It looks like your on the right track for restoring your Donzi. I hope to begin a restore on mine soon, but $$$$ and parts haven't been collected yet. Good Luck in your project!

Scott Boldt

Looped
01-06-2001, 03:22 PM
Ahhh Bristol under the lights, I have been dying to go to that race. That is my next (away race) I need to go to. I have tried to see that race for the past three years or so, but things have come up so I will try to make it again this year. I have had four tickets for both races up at Loudon ever since it opened and I am still waiting for a good one (it needs banking now that Indy is gone from there). The best race I’ve gone to was the Daytona 500 in 97, Seeing Earnhardt flipping on the back stretch was a beautiful thing.

Sorry, back to Donzi world.

EricG
01-08-2001, 11:21 AM
Not Quite Back to Donzi World.....As a HUGE Nascar fan, I've got another complaint about living up here in the great northwest. Not Only do we have crappy weather most of the time, and very, very, very few Donzi's, but I get to drive all the way to San Francisco (14 hours) to see the only race that's really within driving distance, and it's a road race.....but what a fun race Sears Point is every year!! I need to move to Florida...EG