PDA

View Full Version : Forrest I am catching up...

CDMA
12-29-2000, 12:33 AM
I took delivery of my new to me boat today. A 1986 22 Classic Donzi. So this adds me to the ranks of the multiple Donzi owners.

My 18 is a wonderful boat and I love it but my dad really liked the idea of something bigger. In an effort to keep me from putting a BB in my restored 18 let's say he made me an offer I could not refuse. Halves on a 22 and all I have to do is keep Patience a SB. We looked around at a few 22s and realized that the 25 K price tag for what we wanted just was not in the cards...more for me than him. So a few weeks later we were back to square one. We pretty much were at a loss when this boat came on the market. The boat was in NH but luckily my dad works in Boston so a few days later one afternoon he found himself standing outside on a commercial building looking at a 22. The fellow selling the boat was weird to say the least. A really nice guy but strange none the less. He lives with his family in this uninsulated warehouse and has more junk than I have ever seen. Just piles and piles of cars, boats and just junk. What sort of sums the whole guy up is the sign on the door that says " If you want to sell it we will consider it or maybe cosign it." Really was out of the twilight zone. Well after a couple hours of negotiations the price was settled. The boat was to be sold minus engine but with alpha drive for $8250 or minus engine and drive for $7500. So a deal was finalized and my dad and I were to return in 2 weeks with my truck to take. Well after what was close to 4 weeks some title issues were cleared up and we were finally able to go get it. My dad had done the initial inspection and I had never seen the boat till yesterday. Talk about trust...

So we arrived yesterday morning at about 7 AM and no joke the wind chill was - 28. Nasty. The boat was better than my dad had represented. It has a red hull with a white deck and a red stripe. The stripe has been repainted but with the exception of that the rest of the boat is original gelcoat. It is in 8/10 condition. Noting a little sandpaper and some buffing shouldn't cure. The boat was what we were looking for; a very solid hull. The only real structural problem is the floor and it is rather serious. The entire floor is unsupported and has a tremendous amount of flex. Due to this flex large cracks has evolved in the floor. It requires some serious glasswork but nothing I can't do after my 18. With the exception of that the basic hull is perfect. Not a single stress crack and not a single non-factory drilled hole in the boat. Very unmolested.

The rest of the boat is just as good. The engine compartment is clean and again nothing very unmolested. The real negatives of the boat lie in the interior and the trailer; both are shot. Both will suffice for a few years till this boat is ready to be used (not till spring of 2002, more on that later)

So after our un-godly cold pickup this morning we settled up with this fellow inside of his heated shrink-wrapped office inside of his warehouse( I kid you not) we were off. 9 hours later we arrived at our home and the new 22 took its' place next to Patience. The first thing I noticed is the proportion. If you look at a 18 or a22 separate they look similar. Park them next to each other and all of the sudden he differences are major. The 22 looks more like an offshore racer. It appears lower and sleeker however in my opinion it still lacks the beautiful lines on the 18. Not that is it a bad looking boat just the lines of the 18 are better.

Tomorrow the original Alpha ( the boat was a tempest SB/alpha) gets yanked off the transom and prepared to be put on the 18. I have finalized my decision. The 18 will be a LH steering Merc. We will see how it works. I plan on raising the x dimension a full 2.5 inches and with some luck possibly a stern jack.

So that leaves me with a 22 hull minus powertrain. I am currently working on a deal and with some luck I should have an Arneson drive at my front door in the next few weeks. I am in negotiations on a used one and so far it looks promising. There are no plans to even attempt to rig the 22 for the summer. I just have too many things to do with school, my boat and my dad's boat. However come spring of 2002 when the 22 in launched it will be powered by an Arneson ASD-6 and a stock BB (which was bought for the 18). If the Arneson drive works in a way we are happy with a killer large c.i. BB will soon follow. So in reality in 2-3 years we will be looking at a 700+ hp surface drive 22… what do you think 90 mph?

It is going to be an interesting project it will take some time and some effort but I am pleased with where it is going. Right now I am more excited to get my Alpha drive on the 18 and possibly a few other tweaks.

I will keep you all updated.

Chris

Looped
12-29-2000, 06:55 AM
Chris,
Sounds like the one I posted a few weeks ago. Yea, the guy seemed like he collected a lot of "stuff" to say the least. If this is the same 22' let me know so I can take it out of the "Boats for Sale" board. In a couple of weeks I need to do the same road trip as you, but only in the opposite direction once I get a trailer.

Good luck with it!

Craig

BigGrizzly
12-29-2000, 07:30 AM
Let me tell you how much 700 hp will cost, remember I'm there. With the Arneston you may need less hp. WE will talk later, nice move, Big block in small boat is not the best idea in your 18. Play with yours and the Alpha and enjoy it, last year you only had a little boat time. To me boat time in a slower boat is better than no time in a fast boat.

boldts
12-29-2000, 07:41 AM
Chris,
Congrats on your's and your dad's new purchase. Amazing what you can find if your willing to look around a bit and you set your mind to it. Interesting how your dad didn't want the big block in the 18', but is ok with it and an Arnison in a 22' Donzi. From what I have seen through the pictures of your 18' and the advice you have given me for my 18', I'm sure it will be one sweeeet 22' Classic when your done in 2002. Keep the pics coming. Can't wait to see your project develop.

Scott Boldt http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

RickR
12-29-2000, 04:23 PM
Way to GO!!!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

CDMA
12-29-2000, 04:53 PM
Made some real progress today. Gutted the transom of the 18 in preparation for the Alpha and pulled the whole alpha assembly off the 22. I was amazed how nice it was. A freshwater boat is such a pleasure. I figure I have a day of grinding then a day of glasswork followed by another day of painting. Really think the 18 will come together quickly.

But it always takes longer.

Chris

GEOO
12-30-2000, 08:37 AM
Chris,
Glad to hear you have the boat home!!. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Have a Safe and Happy New Year, talk to you soon. GEOO

Forrest
12-30-2000, 09:35 AM
Chris, maybe we can get a group deal on counseling to put an end to this madness!! Perhaps "Doc" BigGrizzly can help. But anyway, congratulations on a great move, you won't be sorry! Hay, how 'bout posting a picture or two. Inquiring eyes want to see!!

------------------
Forrest

BigGrizzly
12-30-2000, 10:38 PM
Hey Forrest I'm just as bad as everybody else! The only difference is I don't feel confortable when sombody else does the work. This one of the only things that I do well.

Randy

GeneD
01-06-2001, 08:34 AM
Chris,
WOW!!!!
I am jealous...

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida