PDA

View Full Version : Tie down while trailering?

Stix Magill
04-02-2002, 09:52 AM
My boats in the past had tiedowns in the back for security while trailering. My Minx has no obvious way to secure it to the trailer. I do have a steel cable on the winch, not a strap, but I am still paranoid about it coming off as I go up hills.

What do you guys do?

Forrest
04-02-2002, 10:01 AM
You NEED a strap! Last Saturday, I saw a 22 to 24' boat sitting in the middle of US 98 near Alligator Point that has slid off the back of its trailer. Apparently, the winch ratchet broke, had no strap, and the rollers were working well! Lot's of road rash on the keel and chines. Not too big of a traffic jam, though.

Secret F233
04-02-2002, 10:21 AM
My formula has the same problem so we tied off to the rear cleats... But not real trustworthy I would think. I was hoping to use some more of the cut up bed frame to distribute the weight a little more evenly from the underside of the cleat for towing & tubing or whatever. >>>Shrug<<<?

Woodsy
04-02-2002, 11:53 AM
Stix...

You should have a steel safety cable from the trailer to the nose hook of the boat as well as your winch cable. Do you have eyelets for waterskiing? Use those with some 1500-1800lb tie downs.... its not that you are going to keep the boat on the trailer... its to keep the trailer under the boat.

Woodsy :D :D

Scubado
04-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Dad rigged a saftey chain that attaches to the bilge drain on his classic 18. It works great, quick and easy and no straps. He has a spring attached to the chain to keep it tight.

Dr. Dan
04-02-2002, 06:05 PM
Ditto what Woodsy said! :D You absolutely should not rely on the winch connection, we use a front tie down secured to the trailer and the two on the transom. Last year the center two crossmembers literally split while we were towing our 22 back from the Chesapeake, nothing serious happened cuz it was tight to the trailer, it took a ride on the axles(which sucks I know), but we made it home eek! ,nothing I care to repeat! We check it as often as we stop, because the boat shifts when you hit bumps while towing, better safe than sorry :rolleyes: ...Doc

Stix Magill
04-02-2002, 08:04 PM
I don't have eyes on the back for skiing. That is where I have always strapped to before. I have rails not rollers. I also have a security chain on the nose eye, but it is the nose eye failing that scares me. I will use the cleats and maybe the back lift eye with straps. Doesn't have to look good, just work.

Thanks for all the help guys. You helped me think it through. Now I have a plan!!

RickR
04-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Can you strap off the drive or hydraulic rams with some webbing, without putting to much load on the transom. I'd be afraid of scratching the gelcoat using the lifting ring.

I realize you do not have stern rings but this pic may help.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rryan07rollsaft.jpg

FYI; Trailers flex, so tieing your boat down front and aft stiffens the load up and prevents bouncing.

Stix Magill
04-02-2002, 09:14 PM
Rick,

Your comments are sensible once again. I was worried about strapping to the outdrive, but it is insurance. I was afraid to put undue strain on the boot. If the nose eye broke, this method would keep the boat off the road.
I will let you guys know what I end up doing. I have the Minx at the shop now for: impeller, floatswitch for bildge pump, oil change, blower hose, lube, trailer bearings lubed or packed, etc.

Pray with me that it's ready by Saturday!

More tie down ideas??

Formula Jr
04-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Add stainless U bolts to the transom, as shown in RickR's post. If you buy the off the shielf bolts, throw away the nuts that came with them and use real SS parts. You will also want
SS Backing Plates. You have to make sure the drilled holes are absolutely straight and true, but
once you've sealed everything up so there is no water intrusion to the transom core, you will have secure tie-down points. I've run into things at night that have gotten my whole rig airborn. Don't want to think about what may have happened if the boat had not been completely strapped to the trailer. There is also the consideration of accidents. Saw a boat on I-5 yesterday that had fallen off the back of the trailer. It wasn't pretty. Also three years ago - wish I had had a camera ready - I saw a boat that had come off of its trailer, crossed the jersey barrier of I-84 and had slid up an on ramp on the other side of the divided hiway.

boldts
04-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Stix,
On my 18 Classic, I have a tie down strap that runs from each side of the rear trailer up over the transom in front of the lifting eye. Truckers use these type of tie downs to hold their loads on the flat bed trailers. I place a pad under the lever that tightens this type of tie down to protect the boats gelcoat. It is like what Rick is showing on his transom rings to the trailer only much longer because it spans the whole boat. It has worked for over 17 years now. Just another option to drilling holes in the transom.

Stix Magill
04-04-2002, 02:12 PM
Boldts,

Thanks for the tip. I am going to take a good look at the tie points and options. Drilling holes throught the transome is out. I'm not nearly as brave as you guys.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

Sagbay32
04-04-2002, 03:58 PM
I was thinking along the lines of what Scot Boldts said. My Father uses a Gunwale tie down on his Four winns cuddy. It snaps on to the trailer just behind the rear of the fender, and runs over the boat to the other side of the trailer. It has a ratcheting buckle and is made of 2" wide webbing.

BoatUS has 'em from $15.99 to $18.99.

Hope this helps