PDA

View Full Version : Roll on Awlgrip

Ralph Savarese
12-28-2000, 12:28 PM
Has any one had any experience with awlgrip I was considering a roll on if it will turn out nice and if so what grit should I get the primer to before rolling?
Also can it be wet sanded for a better shine ?

PaulO
12-28-2000, 01:00 PM
Ralph,
I can't help too much but, I can tell you that next time I paint a boat, I will try the roll and tip method with awlgrip. I saw it done on that cable boat show and it looked as good as spray. It appears that the secret is a good brush, the right paint formulation (awlgrip specifies for this type of application) and timing. If awlgrip is like other linear polyurethatnes, it can be sanded to repair mistakes in application. I would think that the preparation would be the same prior to painting but, awlgrip has very specific products and application prior to topcoating so, I would check with the awlgrip dealer. Probably need to sand to 320 or 400 grit minimum.
PaulO

Forrest
12-28-2000, 03:25 PM
Generally, it's 120 grit for the Awlgrip 545 primer and 220 grit for the top coat. At the US Paint website (http://www.uspaint.com) the tell you everyting that you need to know right down to the brand of sand paper to use.

Also check out: http://www.awlgrip.com/index10.htm#english

------------------
Forrest

Ralph Savarese
12-28-2000, 04:09 PM
Thanks Paul I am trying to do the best I can I think that I am trying to avoid any spraying. It seems that getting this thing to school ready for paint with a limited amount of time at hand is going to be a problem . if I could do this at home or have someone else spray the imron might work.If the rolling on the hull comes out nice I just might do the whole thing
Ralph

Ralph Savarese
12-28-2000, 04:44 PM
Thanks so much for the info. It seems that the only info I cant get is if the ultra hi build epoxy primer can be rolled and what type of roller do you use?
Ralph

Ralph Savarese
12-29-2000, 09:06 PM
Hey guys is Awlgrip highbuild primer a roll on also possible I can't find info on that but it seems that 545 is though
Ralph