PDA

View Full Version : Bending 7/8 Stainless Grab Rail

riesr
12-27-2000, 06:51 PM
Thanks to Rich Pflaumer and this Registry I have all the brass chrome plated rail centers and ends to mount the U shaped grab rail on my 67 16'. My problem has been to find someone to bend the 21.25" radius (after many templats, that is the closest radius I can match) in the U. I tried boat canvas shops and they only have 2 standard radiuses (5" and 9"). Even the awning shops seem to use much smaller radiuses. They also use larger diameter tubing(over 1") so their dies would flatten 7/8 tubing. Any suggestions on who to contact anywhere would be appreciated. I will consider cutting the U in half for shipping and then joining the 2 L shapes together since the cockpit is obviously symmetrical. As I look at posted photos, Dave Ochs California, Hull #562 has a perfect rail. Forest also has a perfect grab rail on his 16. I am in Cleveland Ohio. Not easy to find a three roll custom bender with 7/8" dies.

BigGrizzly
12-27-2000, 07:06 PM
Your looking too hard. Forget boat shops and canves shops. Find a race car or frane fabricator. They can make anything you want,or buy the jig and bolt it to the floor of your garage. This is tube your bending not solid bar stock. Darn I forgot thats what I wanted for Christmass.

Randy

riesr
12-27-2000, 07:32 PM
Thanks: Will start calling around. My own jig might be tough, I would like this bend without wrinkles. This is stainless, no chrome plate. I can polish the stainless after bending. Either 7/8 by .049 wall or 7/8 by .125 wall

BigGrizzly
12-28-2000, 07:47 AM
If you call with no help. Harbor Fraight carries one for about 100 dollars, not great for long industrial use but good for that project. Origional rale was brushed stainless on my(sisters 16) not polished.

Randy

Scott Pearson
12-28-2000, 08:03 AM
Riesr,
Yes..a race car shop will be perfect. If the have a GREEN LEE Tubing bender then there will be no problem at all. Let me know how you make out. If you dont have any luck I have a friend that does such a thing. Would be glad to help.

(NJ)Scott

riesr
12-28-2000, 04:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. This site is just as rewarding as finally having a Donzi (even if it is in kit form). I think I found someone with a three roll former that will do the bending. The only problem is that it has to be formed in two pieces because the rail holders will not slide around the radius and if left on during roll forming would mess up the roll former. I will just join the two pieces together at the stripe with a fitting the same length as the stripe. I have found two pieces of Greenville seamless 304 stainless full anneal for bending 7/8 by .120 wall (11Gage) that they are going to fill with sand to make sure the tubing does not flatten during bending. Although the original may have been brushed stainless (thanks for that info) I am going to try to have this polished out so it matches the chrome fittings. I will let you know how this all works out by the end of next week.

Rich
12-28-2000, 05:38 PM
Ron,
Your welcome....I'm just glad to see that I've helped keep another old Donzi up and running.......... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Try bending a short piece to the needed radius first and see how the rail supports slide around. If they don't, try some fine emery cloth on the rail and the hole in the support. A brake cylinder hone might also work on the support.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 12-28-2000).]