PDA

View Full Version : Blown Intake Gasket - Yea Right

David O
06-15-2002, 04:40 PM
So far blown intake gasket, two cracked heads,completely exposed wood in transom cutout along with piss poor workmanship.
Will know about the block condition Monday.
Gotta love it and I do.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/do0283.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/do0286.jpg

harbormaster
06-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Dave,
What the heck happened?

David O
06-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Scot
The problem showed it’s ugly head at Eufaula II the first day. That will be two years ago this Labor Day. I had bought the boat 4 to 6 weeks before Labor Day and had run it a few times here in P-Cola with not problems. Gene Schmidt convinced me to go to the Eufaula event so off we go and in I get towed. The engine started running bad the first afternoon and by the time we all were headed back it was real sick and finally died. When trying to start it we noticed air bubbles coming out between the intake manifold and heads on both sides where the exhaust crossover is on the intake. The opinions were, simple problem bad, blown intake gasket, simple fix. I wish.
Biggest problem: NO Shop in backyard.
Solution: Build one. That explains why I am just now getting to the boat.
Pulled the engine out and like all plumbing problems the more you take off the more you find wrong. As you can see the only thing left in the boat is the electrical system and to date I see no problems with it.
As I disassembled the engine I found things that were unsettling like not all the bolts on the intake or heads were tight, nuts used as spacers where bolts used were to long, improper sized washers, cardboard for gasket material, etc. many things that made me feel real uncomfortable with the engine build. The more I removed the more reasons I found to feel uncomfortable. Have taken the engine to the shop and have been told the crank is fine, both heads cracked, still checking out the block, rods, and pistons and to call him on Monday for those results. The shop is asking lots of question as to what I want to go back with and I haven’t a clue what to tell him so I am reading all I can on the Donzi site. I have written Madpoodle and Forrest for help and would write Big Griz but not sure I can afford his solutions, Randy your opinions, suggestions and advice is more than welcome. Not to offend any of the other experts on the site but I have met these guys in person so I figured I can bother them with my questions, any advice is welcome.
If the block is good I would like to stay with it, GM 350. I am planning on the stainless marine exhaust manifolds and risers. I need advice on all the parts between the oil pan and the exhaust manifolds. Maybe I should say between the oil pan drain plug and the exhaust manifolds. Like what pistons for what heads with what valves using what springs using what cam timed with what chain etc. I have no intentions of going to a stroker unless I end up needing a new block.
That’s the motor issue.
Once the motor was out I noticed what appeared to be a lot of raw plywood showing around the out drive so I pulled it and what I thought is what I found. Raw exposed wood with a piss poor job of cutting the transom for the out drive and sealing it. I have evened up the cutout and this morning I glassed it all in. Luckily the boat has been sitting up for a long time so the wood was still good and dry. Didn’t appear to have any damage.
Maybe with luck I will be up and running in a few weeks and still running for Eufaula IV this Labor Day.
So Scot, this is where I am at, as to what the heck happened? I haven’t a clue.
David