PDA

View Full Version : "the weather in Texas...???"

oldLenny
07-23-2002, 10:53 PM
Having NEVER been anywhere's near that part of the world, I am curious as to what to expect when I travel down there the last week of September, first week of October, eh?

Now, I realize, that I've gotta make my way outta the "snow-pack", leave behind my ice-pick, muk-luks and touque (tooook), be sure to secure the dog-sled and lock up the Igloo,... :rolleyes: ... but can I get there w/o air?

What are the average climate profiles for that time of year?

Will I be passing "Helen Hunt" chasing Force 5's on the I-135 south of Wichita KS. and un-intentionally be STARRING in "TwisterII",...or will this be a fairly comfortable and un-eventful trip?...(other than self induced problems such as tow vehicle, alcohol consumption, etc,etc... :D )

HyperDonzi
07-23-2002, 11:54 PM
im pretty certain in the movie "twister" it was helen hunt... 5 years ago we were in a cottage in 50deg. weather mid august ready to go boating :) we watched that movie and "andaconda" way to many times.

Hotspare
07-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Relax Lenny,,, Just pack lite,, short's and t-shirts are all you'll need... It takes about 6 months for the cemment to cool off around here,,, although this has been a cooler than normal summer so far in big D,, Weather man say's first 100s starting this week .... And don't worry to much about those pesky twisters either,, they usually whak us in the spring,,, (april/may)... Only thing you could (possibly) encounter (long shot) that time of year would be a little Hurricane or Somethin. Just bring a rain coat and a tie down strap for that, and you'll be all set .... Oh yea... Did I mention Softball size Hail Yet.... Never a dull moment Dude ......... You guy's Have a Safe Trip,,,, and Hope to see you at PK if that's where your headed.... Later,,,,, Bruce&Pam

oldLenny
07-24-2002, 12:53 AM
Bruce and Pam...THAT'S where I'm headed!..on the return journey. I want to be there on Friday the 27th if all goes well.

Does anyone golf here?...are you gunna?

MOP
07-24-2002, 02:38 AM
Not sure if times have changed, I spent July through November down there in 57 going through basic training/tech school. I started out in San Antonio where I thought the Devil lived! It was hot enough to fry eggs on the hood of a car. Eight weeks later I went up to Amerillo to tech school, it was really nice at first. Then the Texas chill started to arrive mid September, some mornings while marching to school a mist would roll in and freeze on everything including your clothes you would be board stiff except where your joints bent. Those mornings we could walk anyway we wanted just to keep from killing ourselves on the ice. You would thaw out and be soaked for an hour after we got to school. That very same day by evening it could almost be balmy good thing it was tough crawling home from the airmans club after drinking enough 3.2 beer to float a Donzi. By the time I left in November it was a frozen waste land, mind you that was northern Texas. It is a BIG and beautiful state and yeah you will see things and places there you will never see anywhere else. But it can be summer in the southern end and artic in the north. You can drive many miles between stops, keep your tank full. You will see signs Next Gas XX miles when you cross some areas and they are not kidding. I went back again in 59 for more tech school and it was definitly nicer, I had rank my own car and free run to really take the place in. I got to be honest if I went back that time of year I would want a trusty vehicle for getting through Texas and Oklahoma and would bring a cell phone and catalytic heater to keep warm in case of disaster. Don't be dicouraged but be prepared, one thing I'll bet you will come home with tales of some of the best people you will meet in your life (Even if the stories do get a bit TALL)! And to play safe I would bring some extra Warm stuff just in case. Do a search "October in Texas" you will see the weather can be very extreme.

Scott Pearson
07-24-2002, 05:37 AM
Lenny,
Just dont go near any Trailer Parks. Thats where ALL the twisters hit.

(NJ)SCott

mattyboy
07-24-2002, 08:15 AM
only place I've seen stop signs on hinges so when the wind blows and it does they just fold over instead of flying away eek!
listen to a stevie ray vaughn cd
start with there's flooding down in Texas!

Matt

boxy
07-24-2002, 08:23 AM
Lenny,
Just dont go near any Trailer Parks. Thats where ALL the twisters hit.

(NJ)SCott

Scott, isn't Lenny travelling in a rolling Trailer Park.

Lenny for the sake of our mid-west Donzi brothers, please post your route, so they will know where not to be... :D :D

Hotspare
07-24-2002, 10:17 AM
Lenny,, A round of Golf sound's fun too, We haven't played in a while, or planned on anything yet, but will clean up the clubs and bring them for sure .... I hear the course is challenging, should be a Blast ...... Later,,,, Bruce&Pam.....

oldLenny
07-24-2002, 10:19 AM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/getadonzi.jpg

MOP
07-24-2002, 11:09 PM
Just an idea, why not go the coast and across the bottom southern route. I know its a little longer but alot less prone to freaky weather. Ask one of your local long distance truckers, I have done that many times they know the best routes and good chow. Besides you can stop off at some of those California beaches on your way through. If you do the membership expects a full and complete report of your activities!

oldLenny
07-24-2002, 11:47 PM
M.O.P...I have been down the 101 a few times (Pacific Coast Highway) It "begs" for you to wipe out and smash into 12' across Redwoods, fly off cliffs into sea stacks 3 miles offshore in Central Oregon, and just when your falling asleep it gives you a chicane or two to work with... :p

On my last trip to Santa Monica, all I could hear was the West Coast rollers smashing onto the beach below me. Only problem was, though I was only 1- 1/2 miles away from shore on a Mountain top (Beverly Hills) I couldn't see the water... :rolleyes:

I am gunna go through Wichita and all the rest of the "news worthy areas" and see what happens. As far as I know, I am only going this way once and I have seen lots of ocean. I live on it...this IS DIFFERENT!!! eek! eek! eek!

...can't wait to "look back on this post" 8 weeks from now... oohhh, this is gonna be fun :D

...maybe I can set a new "benchmark" for disaster in my life...

...whatever it may be, I just hope it is entertaining... :D

roadtrip se
07-24-2002, 11:49 PM
Lenny,

Only thing that has been missed on this thread is the possibility of a a sudden dust storm rolling in from West Texas that can dump three inches of mud on you with no notice. Or the three inches of rain that can fall in thirty minutes or less.
But just like everything else, I've learned after living here for fifteen years, that the reports on the weather can be just a bit exagerated. As FreightDog said, the weather will be beautiful at the end of September, and light gear should be in order. As for those pesky huricanes, we'll have too keep you posted.

Lookin' forward to some of them thar Canaadians here in Texas.

Todd

ToonaFish
07-25-2002, 01:40 AM
Lenny Does Dallas

At the risk of making Texas sound even more biblical, don't forget the locust swarms, or whatever those nasty huge crickets are called. Can't see the lines on the four lane for them... and they make a nice crunchy noise under your tires... yum. Insects take it to heart that they are bigger in Texas.

But you were worrying about how to dress in the Fall? I have it on good authority that if you want to blend in with the locals, this is how they dress, at least until the playoffs...

http://www.donzi.net/photos/chowarddallas.jpg

oldLenny
07-25-2002, 01:49 AM
Celene,..that is BIZARRE!!! You must be a "mind reader" or something.

That is exactly what I am wearing right now!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lgreen24.jpg

Formula Jr
07-25-2002, 03:55 AM
Len, where did you find the boots???? Just asking....

oooh and those big black TX beetles. I couldn't stop laughing. They go "SplaT" on the windshield. Six inch ring of yellow gooo. These things are like two inches big and fly. You can't walk without mashing a few. after 300 miles, you get out the ice scraper. If you hit a load of them you have to immediately find a car wash to clear your radiator. :D

Then again in allatoonia, there are flies that consider humans prey........ wink

FASTEDDIE
07-25-2002, 04:13 AM
Lenny, love that shirt you have on!

harbormaster
07-25-2002, 09:44 AM
Lenny reconsider your dates. The North Texas Possum Kingdom Donzi gettogether will be those date. I will not be home.

MOP
07-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Yeah why not leave NOW! :D