PDA

View Full Version : Carb upgrade for 383

Jabes
04-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Whats involved with upgrading from the factory Mercruiser 2 bbl. to a 4bbl. carb? Could I buy a Holley 650 dp and a new manifold for it and bolt it right on? The engine runs perfect right now, should I even mess with it?
Thanks for your reply.
JB

BigGrizzly
04-01-2002, 06:37 PM
An over simplifiction but yes, Infact I didn't even change the jets in the carb. I think the returns will be worth it.

Randy

Tidbart
04-01-2002, 06:54 PM
I would think that you would also have to modify the fuel lines and throttle linkage. Something else to think about.

boldts
04-01-2002, 07:43 PM
You'll also of course need to change the air filter from a 2bl base to a 4bl base. I would go ahead and invest in a K & N marine model while your at it. You'll want to check your hatch clearance before deciding on the height size of your filter.

Rootsy
04-01-2002, 08:04 PM
the throttle linkage part is pretty simple, you can get all ya need right from rex marine... a steel fuel line will take a bit of pipe bending and flaring...

Looped
04-01-2002, 08:45 PM
All right am I missing something here, I have never heard of a stroker motor that was setup to be choked with a 2 barrel? Was this 383 (sbc I assume and not a Mopar) built from the get-go with a 2 barrel carb/manifold?

:confused: Craig :confused:

MOP
04-01-2002, 10:14 PM
I would be real sure of the Cubes before jetting, get good advice from guys up here running 383's. The fuel line from pump to carb can be that nice S/S braide stuff, secure it stood off a little fom hot spots (No vapor locks)and I pretty sure who evers manifold you use can supply the cable bracket. The 383 thing kinda intrgues me, are you sure? If thats a fact boy will you be happy!

Phil / Long Island