PDA

View Full Version : good performance at a reasonable price

JP BRESCIA
03-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Some of you guys must have done the math on this one. I have a 350 SBC in a 1980 18'. I am thinking about replacing the log style exhaust manifolds. I am obviously looking to reduce weight and improve air flow potential.

Has anyone purchased something of decent performance/quality from a reputable company. In an effort to reduce cost, I am not looking for custom work.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Formula Jr
03-30-2002, 08:30 PM
Let me know, when you find an application, were the words "reasonable cost" and "boats" can be used in the same sentence. :D

Tomahawk
03-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Stainless Marine in Miami is probably your best bet to meet your needs. Good stuff, they fit and work and are priced fairly. You may need to buy a new prop though. :)

Kent Perroux
03-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Stainless Marine. I have had mine for 9 years. No leaks and sounds awsome.

BigGrizzly
03-31-2002, 09:15 AM
Stainless Marine would be my choice. The people there are real pickie about fit and finish. Their stuff is at least as good, if not better than everybody else. If it isn't they don't sell it!!!

Randy

Stix Magill
03-31-2002, 11:32 AM
JP,

I would like to do the same upgrade, but only if the performance benefits would be noticeable. What could be expected? I just looked at the Stainless Marine website for information on manifolds and risers, etc. There are "zinc anodes" mentioned on the installation page. They mention changing them every 50 hour. I am not aware of this maintainance issue. What's the deal?
Here is what they said.....

"PLUMBING

If your water flow diagram does not indicate otherwise, install the molded hose between the straight hose barb on the top forward port of the manifold and the hose fitting on the riser (hose needs to be trimmed to fit). In general, we prefer to have the water enter the manifold at the bottom of one end and exit at the top of the other end. You must install the zinc in an unused port in the bottom or renew every 50 hours."

I am lost. Please help!

Cuda
03-31-2002, 02:58 PM
I went from log style to center risers, and I had to change the y pipes to accomodate the center risers, this isn't an issue if you are going with thru hull exhaust.

Kent Perroux
03-31-2002, 06:51 PM
You won't see a big difference in performance in a small block just by changing exhaust. If you do other changes (cam, intake, heads, etc) you will need the exhaust to let your rngine breath. You will get better manifild life, more efficiency, less weight, less chance of reversion and a better sound. Oh, they look better too.

Exhausts are the FIRST thing I would do to a stock engine.

Stix Magill
03-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Kent,

Thanks for the info. My Minx has a fresh 350 mag, 270 hp with the original Alpha. The speedo shows 60-62 mph at WOT. Would the exhaust upgrade be noticeable? I don't want to build this engine. I would go to a stock big block first. What do you think? :)

JP BRESCIA
04-01-2002, 08:15 AM
Thanks fella's for the great info. I am not expecting to gain rpm's/MPH from changing exhaust. This is just the first step before I make other changes to my stock motor.

I must admit, I am curious as to why I may need to change props as a result of changing exhaust?

Forrest
04-01-2002, 09:23 AM
You probably won't need to change the prop if you are propped correctly now. BTW, what prop are you running?