PDA

View Full Version : prop for volvo 280 on 18' w/ mild 350

dixonk
06-14-2002, 04:19 PM
I need a new prop for my 1967 18' 2+3.

I have a mild 350 and a Volvo 280 drive.
The only prop I have to start with seems to be a 14.5x19 that I know is way off. We can take one person or a whole boatful of folks up to about 55.

You guys seem to have a lot of experience. How can I figure out what is best without trying three wrong props first?

Tony
06-14-2002, 09:17 PM
In my '67 16' (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198) I've got a fresh 302 that is likely producing about 300 hp. A 14 x 21 gives me a great holeshot, but tops out at 48 or so. A 14 x 23 (aluminum, like the 21) gives me a bit more top end, and my 14 x 24 ss Volvo Ultra takes me to 56 mph at 5400 rpm's.
The 24" Ultra did well for me alone with 1/2 tank of fuel, but not so well with a full boat and gear (my problem at AOTH, I think). I'd like to drop my rpm's down, and am keeping my eyes open for a 26" to try.

A big problem that you will soon be discovering is that choices for a 17 spline Volvo prop are quite limited, and they are hard to find. Do you have any pictures of your boat?

Donzified
06-16-2002, 09:25 PM
For all around boating I like a 14 X 23 but can no longer find ANY. SO now I buy 14X21"s with a # 8 cup on them.A smaller cup may be better for you. I run a 350 with at least 350 H.P. in my 76 X - 18 .I have a custom bronze 14 X 24 with a 17 spline ,it gives me more speed but is not my choice for every day "AIR TIME".I am looking for a hub insert to fit the volvo shaft to newer merc style props. But to date I have not found one for a 17 spline.Let us know what YOU find...Good luck.

RH
06-16-2002, 09:56 PM
Interesting topic this weekend. Spent all Saturday morning up at the lake with the Hornet. Went to put in an no start. Then I pulled all of the plugs, and found that it was royally flooded. So my backyard mechanic freind gave me the courage to pull the top off of the Carter AFB. Plenty of crud, so we cleaned the carb and put bent the floats a tad as it was running a little rich, then put it all back together without losing anything. I was feeling really proud at that moment. Then dropped it in the lake and it ran so much better! Then another bump in the lake and I spun a propellor. Limped back to the ramp and pulled over to a marina and had them remove the prop to make sure that was the case and sure enough it was. I was glad that the outdrive did not shell! My prop on the Hornet was a 14 x 21. Gave me decent performance, but trying to find a marina with older Volvo props is hard these days. I put on my spare which is a 14 x 19 and the hole shot is great, but it tends to take out the top end and I would like to watch the RPM's a little closer so I do not over rev. I kept it at $800 tops and I had quite a little throttle left. Tell me about the 24 Ultra, would that be a good runner for the Hornet?
Thanks and sorry for the longwindedness!
RH

Tony
06-16-2002, 10:17 PM
I agree that the 21 or 23 are best for all around usage. I'm not so sure about a 24" Ultra for a Hornet. When looking at it compared to my 21 and 23 aluminums it seems to have less blade area. Your Hornet might be too heavy for it to push along, although if you found a 14 x 22 it may be all right. Just my .02 cents worth, fwiw.

Forrest
06-17-2002, 08:50 AM
The Volvo Ultra prop is a great prop for the 18. The only trouble is that they are just getting very hard to find these days. Also, you may want to check with Bronson Hill Propellers (http://www.hillpropellers.com/). They build a great stainless Volvo Aquamatic prop (about $550) in any dia and pitch you want. BigGrizzly runs one on his 18 Corsican and it runs great! I wouild be tha one of these Hill props would work well on a Hornet, but if you can try and Ultra, do it. I'm getting ready to try a pair of Hills on my Magnum 27 with twin 280Ts.

Donzified, I doubt that you will ever find a Volvo insert for the newer Merc props since the splined hole necessary to fit the larger diameter of the Volvo prop shaft would make the insert almost paper thin.

AVickers
06-17-2002, 05:31 PM
I test drove a 14x24 Ultra prop on my 18 and it ran GREAT!!! Good bow lift and excellent high speed running -- and limited transitional porpoising compared to the aluminum props that I had been running.

Unfortunately, during the course of the day, it spun the hub and wasn't fixable -- apparantly, some Volvo props can be fixed, others can't. I never found another used left-hand Ultra with those numbers... I sold the boat, still looking for the ultimate prop.

Kent Perroux
06-19-2002, 07:46 AM
You do have another option for props on the Volvo 280's. Find a good deal on a Mercury Chopper then send it to Frank and Jimmy's prop shop in Ft. Lauderdale. They will machine out the mercury hub and press in one for a volvo 280. You have to play with the spacers to get everything right, but the choppers were my favorite on the 18.

Forrest
06-19-2002, 11:17 AM
WTB - Ultra props with spun hubs that can't be fixed.