PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth??

Riley
03-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Hey guys, hope everybody had a great winter....the snow is finally starting to melt here in the U.P., and thoughts are turning back to boating.

I need some advice on the value of an engine I'm looking at picking up. It's a 1996 Mercruiser 350 sbc with the 4bbl carb, but it's not the Magnum version. The engine has 320 hours on it, and is complete from flame arrestor to pan, including all manifolds, etc. I'm familiar with the engines history, and it is in very good condition and hasn't been abused. Here are my questions:

1. What's it worth? The marina is asking $3000, but I know I can get it for less than that.

2. What's the difference between this engine and the 350 Mag package?

3. Is this engine equipped with a roller cam?

4. The engine is out of the boat, what should I look for as far as damage, etc.

5. The engine was in great running condition when it was pulled out of the boat, should I consider a complete re-build or just freshen up the cam, valvetrain, etc?

Thanks for any input or advice here guys. This is the year for pulling the 305 out of my 18' Classic and putting in some power!

Cuda
03-30-2002, 05:07 PM
I bought a 350/330 hp engine in October with 30 freshwater hours for $1700 It was complete with all accessories on it. It has a mild cam, pink rods, keith black pistons, 9 quart oil pan, edelbrock manifold and carbuerator. It also had exhaust manifolds and risers with it.

I haven't had a lick of trouble with it, other than burning up the coupler.

I installed a full FWC system on it before I put it in the salt water.

CDMA
03-30-2002, 05:09 PM
Now Cuda THAT is a good deal. Your check came the Prop will go out first thing Monday.

Chris