PDA

View Full Version : VOLVO DRIVE QUESTIONS

AGUESS
12-20-2000, 08:15 AM
Hi everyone. As you know I am looking for a drive setup for my 1966 18' with a 351W.

Found a Volvo 270 tilt setup that had the lower unit changed to be a duo-prop. This was hooked to a 351W.

Question. Are 270 drives good? How would the conversion of a 270 to a duo-prop compare to getting a newer SX. Newer duo-prop cost too much.

Do you volvo guys like them. I have noticed postings about changing to Merc.

Thanks for your help again.

Merry Christmas to all.

Alex.

CDMA
12-20-2000, 09:44 AM
Duoprops are great but in my opinion you loose too much top speed in a hi-po boat. The standard 270 is strong as anything. I was never happpy with the steering but I knew how to fix it. It just came down to the fact I found another way I wanted to try.

Chris

Tony
12-20-2000, 12:00 PM
Duoprops are supposed to have unbelievable holeshot capabilities, which would also make them good for wake jumping. Chris is probably right about loss of top end, though. Depends on what you want.

Rob
12-20-2000, 06:25 PM
Wow, trim and duo-prop? What a find. What kind of condition is it in?

If you decide to pass, let me know.

BigGrizzly
12-20-2000, 06:41 PM
The duo-prop is very stable, but cost about 3mph on that engine. As for steering Volvo makes a updated helmet with a square shaft on the yoke. This worked well on mine. It will be too much trouble to change to a Merc, unless you are like Geoo, Chris and Paul with transsom remanufacturing. Me, I would and did keep the Volvo. With my engine and my driving I would have scattered an Alpha.

Rich
12-20-2000, 07:40 PM
The problem with the Volvo 270T is that very few of these were made so getting parts might be a problem. I also could have bought one from a Volvo dealer but the guy recommended that I pass on it for the reasons above.

------------------
Rich

GEOO
12-20-2000, 09:34 PM
Alex, If I was installing a new drive I would pick an Alpha or Bravo. Parts, Props, etc are much easier to come by. I love Volvo's but between the steering slop and the loss of speed do to drag, I would switch. GEOO

AGUESS
12-21-2000, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.

The reason I am looking at Volvo over Merc, is that I do not want to have to crate and sell the new 351W engine, and I don't want to loose $ on the sale. I know, I might loose $ trying to do the volvo.

Awhile back, one of our members told me how to convert to a Merc, but it looked like a lot of work.

Any other thoughts? The transom has been rebuilt and can be set up for any type drive that will connect with the 351W.

What is the difference between

270, 280 and SX drives?

Thanks

Alex.

Stromer
12-29-2000, 08:25 PM
As an X Volvo Penta employee and a 18 2+3 owner, I took out my 270 because I was rebuilding the transom and I wanted "real" power trim. I installed the 5.7 Gsi EFI with the SX. Installation x-dim was 14 5/8" if I remember correctly. I switched the SX to left hand prop 14 3/4 x 23 and am getting about 70 - 72 mph at max tilt and 4900 RPM. I did use the 1.43:1 drive not the 1.50:1.
I am very happy and love power trim and power steering! Remember, the SX is basically an OMC casting with Volvo Penta internals - not bad at all!!!!!!

AVickers
01-03-2001, 05:36 PM
I looked very seriously at a Duoprop setup for my 280 -- and it turns out that there's not much to bolting a Duoprop lower to either the 270 or 280. In fact, there's nothing to it...

One thing to watch, however, is the ratio you're getting. If I remember correctly (and I have a terrible time w/ numbers), there are at least three ratios available and they are all lower than the 1.68:1 that is probably on your boat (I think 1.75:1 is the tallest with the lowest going all the way up to 2.15:1). When I was looking last year, all I could find were 1.95:1 drives.

Now, on most drives you can adjust things with props so that you won't over-rev your engine, but new props for these babies are EXPENSIVE (especially for stainless) and good used ones are hard to come by. Also, there's not a lot of range in them.

Just a thought...

If it's a 1.75 drive, you'll be in good shape. If it's not, you'll have to build an engine to make horsepower while turning 6 grand instead of the usual marine-based 5.

Stromer
01-04-2001, 07:38 PM
1:95 has been the standard Volvo DP ratio for small block v-8s for many years. There are plenty of props for 250 - 300 hp motors with 1.95:1 - call em - they are in Chesapeake, VA.