PDA

View Full Version : Propane Classic

goodall
06-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Just got on the water yesterday. As fast as on gas. And as you can see I've got no hood scoop. Wasn't someone going to make a mold or something???

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

CDMA
06-14-2002, 08:57 AM
It's in the works...for real this time. Neat set up. Tell us more...

Chris

harbormaster
06-14-2002, 01:38 PM
Way to go Steve, Will this increase your range? Where is the tank?

Jamesbon
06-14-2002, 01:44 PM
Yeah, tell us more.

boxy
06-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Does it require any special performance/safety modifications.

Hey Honey, hurry up with those steaks, the kids want to go wakeboarding

Given that I currently run 5 propane powered fork-lifts in my warehouse, it would be a lot easier to hide gas bills if they were LP. :D :D

Forrest
06-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Propane in a boat - I would be very concerned with safety when dealing with a flammable gas that is heavier than air in the hull of a boat. I always heard that propane and boats are a no no.

How do you make it safe?

RickSE
06-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Cool, should be ok as long as the blower is installed correctly and you don't park it near your furnace.

Don't know if anyone heard of our Propane/Natural Gas fiasco here in Arizona last year. Basically the state was refunding people half the cost of a new vehicle if they converted it to an alternate fuel. It was a ridiculous program that got out of control. The installers were hacking up brand new vehicles to install the kits with no supervision or concerns for safety. Well to make a long story short, a guy here in town with one had a propane leak and took it in to get fixed. The service shop said they fixed the leak so he took it home, parking it in his garage. Unfortunately the propane was still leaking and filled his garage with propane until it reached his furnace, then BOOOOOOM. Took out his new half-priced GM truck, garage and half his house.

KMLFAMILY
06-14-2002, 07:14 PM
I give you credit for doing it! At one time we installed the kits on 50 plus vehicles.Dual fuel-lpg/gasoline.It is a fairly simple set-up.Safety ideas.I would want a handheld gas detector for every pre-flight inspection.(Considering the pounding a boat takes.)I would want the pressure relief valve directly vented outside the boat.Also the best on-board extinquisher system. Did you set it up with an exhaust gas analyzer ? I see you mounted the converter as close as possible to the mixer to cut down on lag.LPG being priced reasonable makes it tempting for a high performance application @112 octane.As the LPG systems we had aged they were discarded.Recently the rage was for (CNG)compressed natural gas vehicles.We had over 100 vehicles dual fuel.Some factory,some we installed,running on it.CNG 130 octane,lighter than air,requires expensive compressor equipment.The compressor station became worn, end of program.I feel alternate fuels are just not real practical for everyone.Due to availability,tank maintenance,initial cost"s.One reminder.Don"t let the gasoline go stale if you primarily run LPG.Have fun.You have something unique!

MOP
06-14-2002, 11:42 PM
Propane is an excelent alternitive for gas on the road, but I to would be spooked by it in a boat. But I do applaude your effort!

Tomahawk
06-15-2002, 06:33 AM
Great creativity but , I too would be very concerned about propane in a boat - as is the Coast Guard. We did some work with Honda outboards using CNG that worked out quite well. Even supercharged a 90 with CNG and got 205 HP. Blew up a lot of motors messing around with that.
The CNG part seems to work very well. We worked with the folks at Tampa Bay Watch about 5 years ago and their rig is still working well. It's a 23 foot cat with twin Honda 90's on CNG. Finding a place for the tanks, which are expensive, is a problem as well as finding the fuel near the water.
Extremely clean running though, which is one of their goals.

Gearhead99
06-15-2002, 07:42 AM
Great concept...but my two concerns would be.

1. Propane is very heavy and any small leak will go to the bottom of the bilge and just lay there. Till it was vented overboard or burned.

2. Propane is very hard on 4 cycle engines. Since it is very dry, no oil, it tends to wear the cylinders quicker.

One more I just thought about, and was touched on above, is the pounding a Donzi takes. Seems to easy to knock something loose.

Just my $.02.

goodall
06-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Wow, thanks for all the comments. Sorry I haven’t had time to add more info, but I am out of town for Fathers Day. I will file a full report W/photos sometime next week. That is if I don’t go BOOM first!! (just kidding). Steve