PDA

View Full Version : 1996 22 Classic or 1997 22ZX

Laidback
03-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Well,

The boat that I started a thread on has sold. Oh well, looking at two more. The 1996 Classic is in mint condition with a new 454Mag. The 1997 22ZX is also mint low hours, but does not have the step hull. The ZX is more expensive so what do I do??????? I kinda like the ZX a tad bit more. Both have good prices. If I go with the ZX will I one day regret?

Looped
03-30-2002, 10:03 AM
If you don’t need much storage space and like being closer to the water, always go for the Classic :D :D :D . I just think that the lines of a Classic are like no other but if you need the extra room and a dryer/smoother ride then a Z series might be better for you.

This is almost like a Chevy vs. Ford controversy so I’m sure I just opened up a can of worms here.

Just my penny in the bucket :rolleyes:
Craig

roadtrip se
03-30-2002, 10:32 AM
BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Dan
03-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Laid...I agree with Looped, the Mystique and lines on all the Classics' are like a fine & beautiful woman,even in a shadow or a silhouette you can sense the allure, the come and drive me provocation that we all feel! :D The Z's are unique unto themselves,and their efficiency in design and layout make them a great model of a performance boat. The one thing I have realized in doing research among all styles and brands of boats, is just how heavy the Donzi's are, and especially the Classics, I am sure this has a linear relationship to their outstanding performance and durabilty, if you compare the size and models,you will be surprised, especially with the 22 Classic. There are much longer boats that are basically the same weight class eek! , kinda makes you wonder? Our 22 is fantastic, it's not the fastest, but it is clean :p and we love it. :cool: www.lgdonziclassic.com (http://www.lgdonziclassic.com) ...Doc

boldts
03-30-2002, 05:28 PM
LB,
I'll add my .02 worth because I to am searching for a 22 Donzi. I currently own an 18' Classic so I'm leaning towards the 22' Classic rather than the ZX model. The part that I've found really amazing is the price difference between the two. You can almost buy a 26ZX for the asking price of a new 22 Classic with some HP.

The main question you need to ask is do you want a usable boat for family or a usable one-day (hopefully sunny) on the lake boat? The Classic has no place to get out of the weather and while long trips can be made in one, you'll need bed and breakfast reservations along the way.

If you don't want to be like all the other boaters on the lake, buy the Classic. There is nothing else built like a Donzi Classic. Even on the trailer the boat draws attention.

Now that you ZX owners are ready to shot me, the 22ZX is a Donzi and that puts it in another class of boats by itself. While many boats may look like a ZX, very few handle and perform like it. Ask Frank Civatano about doing over 80 MPH in a 22ZX. That boat flew. Frank has moved up to a 26ZX and I'm sure it won't be long before new high speeds are obtained by him with that Donzi. The ZX offers a place to get out of the weather and if you needed to, you could sleep on the boat.

It comes down to a matter of what you really want or need. When I asked my wife about buying a ZX instead of a Classic, she said she liked the ZX, but really enjoyed and wanted the Classic. Good luck in your decision and purchase!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-30-2002, 06:02 PM
The classic will hold the value better in the 22' range especially over time. I say that as a prior 22ZX owner, we broke even on ours but was lucky.
Bryan

HP 600SC
03-31-2002, 07:59 PM
No contest...the classic. You can actually
drive them AND make them fast!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
03-31-2002, 09:21 PM
HP500, good post, I do enjoy watching you classic guys "drive!" wink see ya on the otherside of that wake! :)

Running with Forrest this past year was a blast!
You guys do have it going on.
And you are by far the fastest I have read of....

Bryan