PDA

View Full Version : 18 deck off/Alpha?

CDMA
12-19-2000, 08:14 PM
So I got the deck off my 18 this week. Got the old crusty tank out and stripped all the hardware off. The deck off was a suprisingly easy to get off. Thankfully it came off with out any damage to my paint. I really think that in the end when I put it together again the deck removal may not even leave any scars.

So the tank is out and looks pretty bad. It seems not to be leaking but the foam was saturated with gas so the gas must be coming from somewhere. One stringer needs a little tab work but other than that all looks structurally good.

So now on to the interesting question… I have most likely a month before my tank is ready. I also happen to have a complete “free” Alpha set up kicking around. I mean complete down to appropriate prop. So the deck is off and I am doing glasswork and I keep looking at this Alpha. My boat is left hand and I will not change that. I really never was happy with the Volvo and was planning to go to hydraulic steering this winter. But this Alpha seems too good not to use. I know Forrest is running an RH on a LH steering boat. I also know Scott is doing essentially what I am thinking of. I understand the boat my lean a little to the port while I am running but I figure I have a few things going for me. First of all I can raise the x dimension while I am in there, second off all the prop happens to be a cleaver which should work better in terms of bow lift and also I have a set of Bennett sport tabs I can add.

I really would like all your opinions because I am at a loss what to do. I have ridden in Paul O’s alpha and I love it. Much easier to control, more user friendly and seems a lot more nimble. I never was happy last year with the Volvo and even if I put 800 dollars into the steering it still won’t have the trim and so forth. I understand that the Volvo is stronger but I am only running a stock SB. I guess where I am is that I have no problem with the effort and I would love the more usable nature of the boat however the only negative to me is that I will loose some of the originality. I guess I keep saying a boat is mean tot be used.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Is it impossible to find a LH Alpha?

RickR
12-19-2000, 09:31 PM
LH Alpha may be tough, I think they used counter rotating SBC.
BUT,
A LH Bravo is just a matter of changing the shift linkage.
How much does your girlfriend weigh http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

CDMA
12-19-2000, 09:40 PM
LH Alpha = 0$$$

LH Bravo = 5K$$$

If I need LH I stay volvo

Chris

BigGrizzly
12-19-2000, 09:53 PM
You can change the internals to be a left hander. As far as right and left, the lean isn't they make it to be. My 22 leans, and prop and rotation are correct. I drive with one tab down a tad. My 18 doesn't lean even if my 80 pound son drives and fat dad is on the right. This boat has speed rails on the stern. Point is, you won't find out till you try it. I like the volvo. the choice is yours

GEOO
12-19-2000, 10:59 PM
Chris,

Go for the Alpha. The price is right. When driving alone the boat will lean, add a passenger the boat should ride level.
Mine rides level alone and leans a little with a passenger. You'll save the money on Volvo Repairs and loose steering problems. Are you going to move the tank back?? You should contact Python Marine talk to the owner. He raises the XDim on some of his 18' to increase performance. He may give you the measurements. GEOO

Len
12-19-2000, 11:08 PM
CDMA. Doesn't the cleaver raise your transom ride height and push the bow down?....

GEOO
12-20-2000, 05:44 AM
I have had good results with a cleaver on my old E http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gifrive Volvo. The Cleaver had less bow lift then a high rake prop (Ultra), However the Cleaver also seamed to settle the transom better and gave me a more controllable ride. GEOO

Scott Pearson
12-20-2000, 08:42 AM
Chris,
Sounds like your getting into it...Thats GREAT! As you know I'm running Left Hand Steering with a Alpha. I also have tabs to make up the litte difference that I feel this set-up is going to produce. Im not worried at all. As far as the X-DIM. I raised mine 1 1/2 inches from stock. And re did the whole transom. I didn't want to go any higher then that because I was afraid that the motor wouldn't clear the hatch. I have alot of room even with the Barrel Back but I was still worried. I had a stock type alum fuel tank built by SP Sheet Metal in Tomsriver NJ. Its 20 gallons. He did an outstanding job. I have a sending unit that works with a gauge and it has a site built into it so the site eye in the floor will be functional. I'm NOT foaming it back in. I had tabs welded to the tank that will bolt through the stringers and Bulk heads. I have to epoxy some plastic blocks to the bottom of the tank to get the hight. I didnt want to foam it back in because once it gets wet it never dries out and also if any gas gets to the foam it will stink forever! Also because I was afraid it would corrode again. Alum does not like water (SALT).

Give me a call and I will give you more detail. (732) 886-5498

(NJ)Scott

Rich
12-20-2000, 07:51 PM
Chris,
I thought you were going BBC......
Save your time and money changing the drive.
Tighten up the bulletproof Volvo and I'm sure the steering will be fine.
Just my 2 cents worth

------------------
Rich

PaulO
12-21-2000, 10:02 AM
Chris,
You know my opinion. Anyone that has not experienced the change in handling when upgrading from Volvo to Alpha is really missing something. It changes the way the boat handles in all conditions for the positive. As for the power trim and power steering, that alone is worth the price of admission. Geoo is correct about the savings too I think. The Volvo is bulletproof but, parts availability and price and prop availability are factors in favor of the Alpha. Whoever suggested a counter-rotating change to the SBC might have a good idea there. That would not be expensive and would enable you to keep the stock, cheap, off-the-shelf right hand Alpha.
PaulO

BigGrizzly
12-21-2000, 05:09 PM
Chris you have enough projects. My volvo has trim and tilt, parts are still available readily, more so than Donzi OEM parts. My boats handles as well as any I've driven with a Merc. Props are still available except for ultra prop. The Hill i have works as well as any. Talk to Doc Prop he'll tell you if trim is right than ride is at the best. top speed is not the best ride. You can power trim with 280 cylinders.

Forrest
12-22-2000, 10:25 AM
Well PaulO, I really don't think the you can hook a regular 'ol RH turning Alpha drive to a counter rotation SBC. The first reason is the real show stopper since the shift dogs in the Alpha are not straight "castle" cut like that found in most outboard motor's lower units, but rather they are tapered and under-cut for easier shifting into gear and for better holding power, but only in one direction, which is standard rotation. The under-cut shift dogs are the reason that Alpha drives require the "EZ-shift" momentary cut-out switch to facilitate shifting from forward or reverse back into neutral. With cone clutches like that found the Bravo and Volvo drives, that factor is no longer an issue since cone engagement is the same no matter which direction shafts turns. Also, the water pump located in the drive unit turning backwards would be a problem as well.

Even if you could get by the above problems, another question would be are the gears in the standard Alpha-drive suitable for running under load in the opposite direction? The point of all of this is that you better find a counter-rotation Alpha drive if you want to turn a LH prop on an Alpha.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 12-22-2000).]

PaulO
12-22-2000, 11:18 AM
Well Forrest,
Thanks for the education. After I had posted the message I thought about the water pump but, I did not know about the dogs. Very interesting.
PaulO

CDMA
12-22-2000, 11:45 AM
Forrest,

How does little green do woth a RH Alpha and left hand steering? BTW thank you for the scoop.

Big G,

I know where you are coming from regarding the trim on the Volvo. However, It comes down to this. I really feel to make the volvo the way I want it I need to add hyraulic steering ($800) and trim ($$$$). These are both features I would like. Aguess says he will possibly buy my Volvo set up if I do go Mercruiser. All it comes down to is that to switch to mercruiser will cost nothing. Even the epoxy, paint, and steering cables should be covered by the Volvo. The alpha will cost me nothing. I have it with all the pieces ready to go.

Rich,

I do agree the Volvo is much stronger however I will not be running a BBC in my boat. I have added another boat to my fleet which will be using the BBC. I disagree with the steering on the Volvo. When I put it together I had some real problems. I went through and made sure EVERYTHING was as tight as possibe. All new cable, bushings and even OEM volvo hardware. When it came down to it there still was too much slop even just in the steering helmut for my liking. While my boat is restored it is a boat that is used. I did not restore it to have it on the trailer it is a boat that is meant to be enjoyed and used to the best of it's potential. At this point I believe that the Alpha would make it a more usualbe and enjoyable boat. I wanted the volvo in the begining but when it is all said and done the same guys I thought were crazy to switch to Alpha aren't crazy. Until, and not before, you have experienced the same boat with the two set-ups's I really don't feel it is possible to recommend either way.

Chris

Forrest
12-22-2000, 02:47 PM
Chris, the little green 16 does just fine, especially with two persons in it. Once I went to the Alpha SS/cleaver setup, prop torque action on the hull has been reduced to a minimum. With the old #1 (alpha type) drive, the 16 would tend to lift the starboard side when it got rough, but 95% of that is gone now once I went to the SS. The boat is drivable with one person, but it is very much on the ragged edge at full speed since so little hull is in the water - andthis is true even with a passenger (I bet Emmo would agree with that!). Anyway, I personally think that you could go with a standard RH Alpha One with a port helm, but I would try to get the X dimension as high as possible - as much as 2-1/2 to 3" higher than stock would give the same effect as going to an Alpha SS without any prop ventilation out of the hole. Of course you always run into the engine hatch height problem once you start raising everything up. On an 18 Donzi with such a setup, a Mirage type prop would probably work better than a cleaver in order to gain additional bow lift. The cleaver works fine on the 16 with the SS since I don't need or want any additional bow lift.

------------------
Forrest

CDMA
12-22-2000, 04:11 PM
Forrest,

I do plan on raising the x dimension as much as possible. Do you really think more than 2.5 inches would be safe with out ventilation? Also since my boat is a barrel back I should have a bit of extra hatch clearance. If not there is that cool scoop you just sent me.

Scot,

You said you went up 1.5 inches with a barrelback and were sure you would have not had any problems. Have you got the engine in yet to see exactly how much clearance you have.

Chris

Scott Pearson
12-22-2000, 06:32 PM
Chris,
I didnt want to go any higher. I know Phil Mckay who has a 66 3 hatch boat went 2 1/2 and ran into some hatch problems. When I was fitting the motor in the boat the deck was off. I did alot of measuring and re- measuring and I have to tell you that I'm glad I didnt go anymore then 1 1/2 inches. it looks like its going to be tight. I spent more then a day figuring things out before I cut anything. 1/2 inch less is not going to make that big of a difference and your safe.

When I chopped the roof on my 1938 Ford 2 door sedan I must have spent 2 days looking at it before I cut it. I wacked 4 1/2 inches out of the roof. I should have went 3 1/2. It looks cool as hell with 4 1/2 out but its to radical. I only have about 7 inches of glass. If I would have keeped it to a 3 1/2 inch chop it would be a better driver.

Do you understand where I'm going with this...Cause I just lost myself.

Give me a call if you like I will be home all night. I can fill you in on the little things. (732) 886-5498

(NJ)Scott