PDA

View Full Version : 10 CUPS FOR DETROIT!!!

Tony
06-13-2002, 10:45 PM
Very sweet to see Lord Stanley's cup return to Hockeytown, USA.
Ten total Cups...third highest in hockey.
Steve Yzerman...longest running captain in any sport, ever.
Nik Lidstrom...first European Conn Smyth trophy winner.
Scotty Bowman...9 championships, most in hockey and tied with Red Aurbach & Phil Jackson for the 4 major team sports.

The list could go on and on, but for fun I will leave you with a hockey trivia question:

What is a "Gordie Howe hat trick"?

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nhl/2002/0613/photo/a_hasek_vt.jpg

ToonaFish
06-14-2002, 12:04 AM
I really feel sorry for you guys in the great white North... lakes still frozen enough to be out playing hockey...

Bunches,

Celene "peeling in Southern locations"

Sagbay32
06-14-2002, 06:36 AM
Great game last night! Fireworks (or gunshots)went of until well after midnight.
Go Wings :D

Rootsy
06-14-2002, 07:24 AM
WAY TO GO DETROIT!!! man that last period was a bit nerve racking...

well i reckon this means i can put the skates back in the hockey bag til next winter eh... OH OH that reminds me.. i don't want to forget to grab the spud... i wanted to put the boat in after work! thanks for the reminder celene :D :D :D

and i doooo believe a gordie howe hat trick consists of a goal an assist and a fight all in one game eh...

Riley
06-14-2002, 07:46 AM
Way to go Wings!! It was a treat to watch an awesome team and a legendary coach run for the Cup this year. And only Scotty could get such an array of talent and superstars to play so unselfishly. I'm afraid he will be greatly missed behind the Wings bench next year.

harbormaster
06-14-2002, 08:01 AM
That trivia question is too easy...

In hockey a “Hat Trick” is when one player scores three goals in one game. A “Natural Hat Trick” is scoring three goals in a row within the same period, with no intervening goals from either team. A “Gordy Howe Hat Trick” is when a player has a goal, an assist and a fight during one game.

In TEXAS we play hockey on concrete. Ice is what you put in your drink.

Ranman
06-14-2002, 08:10 AM
Way to go Red Wings!

Scot, They must go through a lot of ice skates in Texas!

Crazy Horse
06-14-2002, 08:20 AM
It was a good series. Carolina played with dignity and determination but the Red Wings were just too strong. The series put hockey on the map down south I would imagine. Go Red Sox.

Tony
06-14-2002, 09:16 AM
Kudos to Jamie Root on the trivia question! As legendary as Gordie Howe was for scoring and longevity, he was also a VERY physical player. Just as they say Ty Cobb sharpened his spikes, Gordie Howe was fiercesome in the corners via his elbows and stick.

Aside from Bowman, I don't think we will lose many top players next year. Duscheane, and maybe Lirionov, but not many of the others is my guess.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nhl/2002/0613/photo/nhlgallery9.jpg

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nhl/2002/0613/photo/nhlgallery8.jpg

boxy
06-14-2002, 09:59 AM
Hey Michigan guys, have you heard anything about Stevie Y, the rumour here in Ottawa (his hometown) is that his knee is bone on bone, and he will announce his retirement this summer.

Harbormaster Thank you, thank you, thank you, for not referring to it as ice-hockey. :D :D

Rootsy
06-14-2002, 10:11 AM
during the post game interview they asked him if he was done and stevie Y said he couldnt afford to retire... although he DID have a heckuva smirk going when he said it... i wouldn't be surprised if he retired this year... not like he has anything to PROVE by staying other than for love of the game...

Up here we skate on ice and use REFRIDGERATORS to cool our drinks habbamasta... wink

boxy
06-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Is that Vladimir Konstantinov, next to Shanny, holding on to the Cup.
That is fantastic.

Brad Lyon
06-14-2002, 11:54 AM
Scot,

Didn't you know it's the ice in the drink that gives you the hangover!

Brad

Brose
06-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Great game last night! Congrats Detroit fans.

I count myself as one of the Carolina "converts" that originally had a hard time understanding why another hockey team needed to move to the sun belt. But after watching the 'Canes play with grit and toughness I consider them legitimate and will actually watch them on TV next year.

Steve Yzerman said in his post game interview that he wants to play at least one more year before he considers retirement. He mentioned that next year would be the last year of his contract, surgery will be done this month, not ready to retire, etc. Have to wonder how his thinking changes without Bowman coming back!

'01-'02 Red Wings = Best NHL team ever to hit the ice

DOND
06-14-2002, 03:21 PM
What a great series! I am glad the best team won.

DOND
06-14-2002, 03:29 PM
What a great series! The best team won the cup.Being big fans of the Red Wings and my sons team winning their state championship this concludes a great hockey season for us.The Wings are a class orginization with a great arena unlike the hawks I have to contend with.
Hockey is the greatest sport ever and the " only one left for us average sized white boys."Quote from Patrick Swayze in the movie Youngblood.

boxy
06-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Dond, as a teenager growing up in Canada, that quote was our rallying cry every day at the rink, but have you been to an NHL game lately. :D :D
There are not many middle sized guys playing hockey anymore. You don't get a true feel for the size of the players, or the speed of the game, until you watch it from rinkside.
Which I guess is true for most sporting/racing events.

green16
06-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Boxy,
Yes that is Konstantinov with the ball cap and his other hand by his eye.

Hasek may not be back too. He said while he was in Buffalo he wanted his children to grow up in their native country.

DOND
06-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Boxy,Yes that true todays players are much larger than they used to be. I think the nhl says the average size these days is 6'2 and 200+ lbs.,with some defencemen in the 6'5 235lb. range.However there are still many guys right at the 6' and under range.I do also think that many of there heights are exaggerated.I have seen,met many of these guys off ice and they just do not seem to be the height the stats show. But in comparison to some of these football players many are close to 400lbs. now the hockey guys are just averaged size.
I was glad to see the Candian teams go as far in the playoffs this year as they did.
Don

boxy
06-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Don check out our BIG defenceman, Zdeno Chara.
The Big Z (http://www.ottawasenators.com/players/0102/chara_e.aro)
He's not quite middle sized ..... eek!