PDA

View Full Version : outdrive play??

G - FORCE 88
06-13-2002, 10:33 PM
I have a little play on the outdrive of my 22. its 1997 bravo 1, any ideas why? or how to fix? or is this normal?>>>>>jon :D :D :confused: :D :D

Donzigo
06-14-2002, 12:47 AM
Have someone check the KINGPIN and outdrive steering arem. I just had mine replaced, $1,000, mostly labor. A real tough job.

MOP
06-14-2002, 06:40 AM
How much is it side to side or do you have some looseness up and down? Side to side you can grab hold of a few other local unit to see if yours feels much worse. Being a 97 if you have used it alot in may be time for a steering cable or slight possibility the tiller arm got a little loose. Take your time with a buddy, turning the wheel shaking etc. I have brandy new units and they have some side play. We just had an interesting job come through the shop, Merc in about 1987 eliminated the grease fitting for the top bushing which is just below the tiller arm. The customer kept complaining about water in the bilge. Upon a close inspection the water was running, not tricking out of the upper bushing. This was on a cruiser! The pivots were still good after 600 hours of Salt use. But had to be changed out to change the seal. There is no way to put a grease fitting in, no meat up there. And every thing comes out, gives you a chance to paint the bilge. The lower pivot pin is aluminum on all I have seen and is water lubed usually stays around for a long time.

blackhawk
06-14-2002, 12:19 PM
Check the gimbal ring. Grab the drive and move it back and forth and see if the ring is moving and the tiller arm(I think that's what it's called) isn't. If that's it you may be able to fix it by tightening the two locknuts on top of the plate on your gimbal ring. I am not sure of the torque specs. If tightening them doesn't do it you'll have to replace the gimbal ring. Those nuts should be checked regularly. I learned the hard way! :mad: