PDA

View Full Version : Help Trailer Transportation / Tampa to Connecticut

Hornetman
12-19-2000, 09:30 AM
I was going to fly Southwest one way to Tampa $51.00 and rent a vehicle to tow my trailer home. Problem being that rental cars do not come any towing ability wiring etc. and towing anything is strictly forbidden by all rental car companies. Do any of you fellow registry guys make any regular trips up the East coast, to, or anywhere close to New England? Any help or experience anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

RickSE
12-19-2000, 11:28 AM
You should be able to rent a truck from a regular car rental place. Another option is to rent a small U-Haul or Ryder truck. The advantage of the U-Haul is that their pricing is usually set up for one-way and you can tow with most of them. Just find the smallest cheapest one you can and beat the hell out of it.

I did this when I moved from Michigan to Arizona. I needed something to pull my loaded car trailer and didn't want to put the wear and tear on my new truck so I rented a big Ryder. Had the thing floored in second gear almost all the way from Albuquerque to Flagstaff due to winds. Used 75 gallons of fuel to go 320 miles, 4.3 MPG.

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 12-19-2000).]

boldts
12-19-2000, 11:31 AM
Steve,
Try U-Haul instead of a rental car agency. I am sure that you can rent a pick-up truck to tow your brand new trailer home one way. It's the best option I can come up with.

RickS beat me to it. I'm pretty sure you don't have to go the full blown truck. I know here in Columbus they rent P/Us.

Scott Boldt

[This message has been edited by boldts (edited 12-19-2000).]

Scott Pearson
12-19-2000, 01:47 PM
Rick,
I will be coming to AZ, in Feb. The 9th - the 19th. I will me in Scottsdale at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort until the 14th and then to Sodona. I guess thats how you spell it. Dont know haw far Flagstaff is but if its not bad we should have a drink.

(NJScott

Forrest
12-19-2000, 02:00 PM
Yea, and rental trucks going out of Florida ought to be cheap this time of year, but all and all you may do better just to drive down and pick it up in your own cruiser. That way you won't have to drive an empty (spell that rough riding) moving truck with vinyl seats and low gearing that sucks gas and make you wish that you paid some fool to have it delivered.

------------------
Forrest

GEOO
12-19-2000, 02:01 PM
Steve, I purchased a trailer in Fla. They shipped it up on top of other larger trailers. Contact local marina's or transport companies maybe they are bringing a boat down and nothing back. GEOO

Hornetman
12-19-2000, 02:09 PM
Thanks everyone, U-haul does rent pick-ups but only local, no one ways. A one way mini-u-haul was $300.00 + gas, airfare etc. etc.. I've got line on a local "Reggie" dealer in Old Saybrook, CT that is still selling "MYCO". He said he could probably get his trucker to make a pick-up at Rolls for me, he hasn't confirmed it yet, but says around $300.00 for a delivery to CT. If anyone has any other ideas keep me posted. Thanks for everything guys.
Also Dan advises against the 2160 due to the v-drive / shaft clearance issue. He says if I move the transom forward too far, I'll have problems "loading on" at anything but a real deep / steep ramp. Also boat will look pretty stupid jacked up to 3' to clear the shaft / prop above the rear cross member. I think I'm sticking with the 1960 model? Dan says the 4x6" cypress bunks will support the transom fine with no warping or hooking of the bunks or hull.
I'm not sure exactly what to do, I'm probably giving Dan the nod for his expertise.

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

[This message has been edited by Hornetman (edited 12-19-2000).]

RickSE
12-20-2000, 09:43 AM
Scott,
Sedona is about 30 miles south of Flag, a 30 minute drive if the weather's good. It's also a beautiful drive when you come up through Oak Creek Canyon on Highway 89.

Also, depending on the weather and if your interested we could take a short trip to Powell. Powell is an incredible lake and will blow you away if you've never seen it. If your interested we can talk about it more. Powell is a 2-hour drive from my house, Havasu and Mead are about 3-hours away. I'm itchin to go back out, unfortunately though February can be a rough month for weather due to our elevation.

One weekend in early Feb though I'll be in Albuquerque for the NM Boat show. I'm not sure yet which weekend it is. I'll send you an e-mail with my phone number.