PDA

View Full Version : Rolls Axle Trailer

Hornetman
12-19-2000, 07:44 AM
Hey Guy and Gals, I just got a call from Dan Gallagher @ Rolls Axle, he called to find out when I could pick up my brand new 1960 trailer that my Fiancé bought me for Christmas / Birthday! Talk about an awesome gift. Hey Rick is /was your trailer a 1960 model? What do any of you (fellow) Rolls owners think about the 1960 size for my 19” Hornet? It measure 22’4” overall which includes 28” bunk overhang. I have a 23’6” deep garage so I can’t go with the larger 2160. Anyone have an opinion before I make the final decision on size? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Steve A. (Hornetman)

Looped
12-19-2000, 08:12 AM
Hornetman,
You could look into the swiveling tongue designs. These allow you to squeeze in the boat and trailer into a depth of whatever the boat length is. I’m not sure how strong these models are at the joint, but it’s an option.

Craig

Forrest
12-19-2000, 08:26 AM
As long as it fits you boat properly, bigger and most importantly more capacity is better when it comes to trailers. I have a Rolls Axle Model 26100, which is a 10,000# capacity trailer under my 5700# (loaded) Magnum 27 Sport, and wouldn't want anything less.

------------------
Forrest

RickR
12-19-2000, 11:58 AM
Hornetman
What a great Christmas present! You must have been a VERY GOOD BOY last year.

I personally do not like the bunk overhang.
I feel the transom needs to be supported to keep the hull from developing a hook.

You want a trailer with the same overall length as the 1960 but with the beams going all the way back to the transom. The length Dan is quoting you for the 2160 includes the overhang.
What you need is a 2160 with the axles moved forward (moving the axles changes the COG of the trailer) so your transom ends up at the rear aluminum crossmember.

Have Dan leave the bunks 6" behind rear crossmember in case the measurements turns out wrong.

The most important measurement is from the bow roller to the center of the axle. You want about 15% GVW as tongue weight.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Scott Pearson
12-19-2000, 01:12 PM
Steve,
I have a Rolls 1935s for my 1968 18. I picked it up from Dan last year. The hull sits about 24-27 inches from the rear crossmember. The bunks overhang about 24 inches from the rear cross member. The trailer holds the boat great. You have to watch that the trailer is not over rated for the boat. Meaning you dont want a 10,000lb weight rate trailer if the boat only weighs 3,000 lbs. My trailer is up to 3,500lbs. My boat should weight in around 2,900 or so with the gear. The ride will be there and I dont have to worry about the boat getting the the crap kicked out of it on the road. If you put a 3,000 lb boat on a 6,000 lbs trailer then your asking for a bad ride and for the boat to get beat up.

You might have to add a foward keel roller, I know Rick did and I'm thinking about it also. I have to see how she is getting in and out of the water and so forth.

The Rolls is a great trailer and I'm sure you will love it!

(NJ)Scott

RickR
12-19-2000, 03:16 PM
Scott is right a forward keel roller is a must.When you install the roller separate the V bunks so the roller is inbetween them.
Make sure you get radials (Thanks madpoodle) they really soften up the ride.
Also before you dunk the trailer in the water replace all wire butt connectors with bare connectors and adhesive lined heat shrink.

------------------
RICKR

RickR
12-19-2000, 08:30 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1261326&a=9670185&p=32211844&Sequence=0&res=high

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 12-19-2000).]