PDA

View Full Version : Best Overall Donzi 18 or 22?

tailwind
06-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Bound to start some stuff? My money is on the "18" because I have one!

The 22 looks nice but is it indeed considered a "Classic", roots etc?

Randy

harbormaster
06-13-2002, 04:59 AM
The 22 is a much more civilized/comfortable boat.

1. You sit ON an 18, you sit IN a 22.

2. The 22 has a smoother ride in rough water. The 18 will take rougher water than most boats its size, but it will still beat you to death.

On the other hand...

1. The 18 does not need an industrial type vehicle to tow it.

2. Depending on the year and other variables the 18 is on the average about 15k cheaper than a 22.

3. The fastest Donzi (top speed)registered in the registry at this time is an 18 not a 22. (GASP)

4. The 18 is easier to keep at your home.

Brose
06-13-2002, 09:36 AM
I'm biased -- I own an 18. Since ice-out (when I purchased the boat) I've had it in Lake Minnetonka almost every decent weather day.

I used to own a 22' Liberator. One big factor for me is my ability to launch the X-18 quickly by myself.

We don't get much big water on Minnetonka -- the 18 takes the cake. :)

rooooster!

Crazy Horse
06-13-2002, 10:30 AM
I have owned both an 18 and a 22. The 18 is more fun when in it alone and on very smooth water. I think it is a more nimble boat. That being said the 22 to me is the better choice. Like Scot said, you sit in it. I feel safer in a 22 and so do my passengers.

EricG
06-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Just my 2 cents....

First of all, I think that ALL of the classics (and other 2+3 Donzi's; e.g. Hornet, Minx, GT21, et al) have one thing in common. They are impractical! You've got 5 seats, very little storage, a long nose, and a ton of wasted deck space. That said, I (and everyone else I've ever known)would take one in a minute!! There is something about them that none of us can put our finger on that is in-a-word - PERFECT.

All of these Donzi's have about the same functionality - Cruise comforably in almost any water, cover a lot of water in a hurry, provide a ride that's more exciting than most any boat on the water, and look extrememely good doing it.

In my opinion, the 16 built the mystique of the small donzi's, the 18 made it slightly more pratical and universal, and the 22 is the flagship that may be the sexiest boat every made.

Now, after writing all that....my vote for the best overall Donzi is the 18. As Scot said, it's the most universal as far as being able to pull it and store it with reasonable equipment. It can have insane performance, and for the price differential, I don't personally see that the 22 offers much more "Functionality" than the 18, other than being able to do the same things as the 18 in bigger water. The 22 is an awesome boat (one that I do really hope to own one day), but I see it requiring a much bigger commitment than the 18. You have to pay a lot more money just to get it, plus the fact that to get decent performance, you've got to have a Big Block - and the fuel consumption that goes with it, plus the larger tow vehicle, larger storage facility, etc. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either.....

-EG
"Non Classic owning Donzi Philosopher"

Ranman
06-13-2002, 11:02 AM
It all depends on what you're into. I have driven both (thanks Horseman) and have to agree with Crazy Horse. The 18 can be a real handfull. There are two sides to this though. Being smaller and more nimble can be quite exciting...up to a point. When your tired of catching air, getting wet, and standing her up on the transom, (which is fun, just ask the Habahmastah) you want to climb in a 22 and relax....at 70+. I've noticed though that in bigger water the 22 can have a very similar feel to the 18, it's just the 22 is on another scale.

Scot is right...You sit ON an 18 and IN a 22.

It's almost like the 18 is juvenile and rambunctious, a wild spirit, whereas the 22 has a more mature and refined behavior. Both are an excellent choice for a boat though and both represent the pinnacle of performance along with the rest of the Donzi line. Randy

...not sure Regazza and pinnacle should be in the same sentence though...

CDMA
06-13-2002, 11:20 AM
An 18 is pure adrenaline...a 30 minuite kick

A 22 is a real boat.

I love my 18...but then again the young can take abuse right???

McGary911
06-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Ive been looking for an 18 for about 2 years now, and a funny thing happened. My Donzi fund has grown to the point where a 22 just might be doable, if i can find the right deal. I've been close. This looks like the way to go for me, as I live on the Atlantic Ocean, and will be doing a lot of boating offshore, so the bigger hull is making more and more sense to me. And I have to admit, the extra length, with the long deck really brings out the best in the design.

McGary

harbormaster
06-13-2002, 12:25 PM
If you have a place to put it and something to pull it, get a 22. No Question about it.

Dalelama
06-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Of course I'll vote for the Minx - Criterion line....

First of all... they are rare.

Both have higher gunwales that the 22, so you really feel like your sitting INSIDE the boat... no chance of going over the side.

Another plus for the Minx is it's capable of great performance, with a small block, and awsome performance with the big mills.

I am, of course, quite biased!

boldts
06-13-2002, 02:44 PM
I echo much of what has been said above. I've had the pleasure of now owning both a 18 and now a 22 Classic. Until AOTH, I had never ridden in a 16 Classic. (Thanks Sam!) You talk about a Donzi you sit "ON", what a blast though. When I owned the 18, it was stored at home in the garage and I saw it every day as I left for work. The 22 is still under cover, but now that cover is made of canvas. It's also not at home. Would Beth and I trade our 22 to have the 18 back? NO WAY! We love our 22 because of the "SIT IN" factor. We also have a 5 yr old and feel the 22 is a much safer ride for her. I towed both the 18 and 22 with a Chevy Tahoe. The truck was over-kill for the 18 while for the 22 it is still good, but you know the boat is back there! The addition of a dual axle trailer under the 22 with brakes is much easier on the Tahoe than the single axle and no brakes that was under the 18. When it comes to the launch ramp, both boats bring lots of attention from on-lookers. Beth and I get such an ego rush watching people just stare as we launch. After 17 years of owning a boat, everything we do is like a choreographed dance. Smooth, calm and collected. Then as I start the engine and the through hull comes to life, those folks staring on the shore seem to get a big fuzzy grin on their faces. Nothing I have ever seen looks like a Classic as it motors out of the harbor. Wasted space, sure, but as you sit behind the windshield, the 22 feels like a 40 footer. That long sleek nose seems to never end. I'm sure this is because of the "SIT IN" factor.

This is just my .02 cents wrapped in a couple dollars. Any way you look at it, you can't go wrong in owning any Donzi. The company is really working to improve the designs and treat their customers right. If you haven't been to a Donzi gathering somewhere in the country, check one out and meet the people who own these boats. Owners range from corporate heads to folks working 80 hours a week to own one. I've never met a more diversified group of people who will give you the shirt off their backs to help you. Thanks everyone for making my ownership one of the most enjoyable activities in my life!

Scott Boldt
Trying to make up for the salt water comments! How long till AOTH III? :D

JP BRESCIA
06-13-2002, 04:10 PM
I am in the middle of my second year with an 18 Classic and my wife wants a 22 already. The 18 was the apple of my eye for my entire youth and I love owning one. I still smile just thinking of the ride. As I stated, my wife would like a 22 for all of the reasons stated in the above posts (higher sides, less wind, a more relaxing ride, etc.) I am reluctant to switch to a 22 for the same reasons she wants one. I love the sit on top ride. I love the intense wind in my face. And I especially love how nimble it is. The 18 provides a very intimate bond between the driver and the water. A feeling hard to explain. A feeling of wanting to kick every body out onto the beach so I can ride around alone and tear it up!

roadtrip se
06-13-2002, 06:31 PM
Of course, if we all had our druthers the answer would be get BOTH!

I will say that there are days in the 22 where Jill and I come back from the big water beat to death, but with smiles on our faces and bugs in between. Point, I'm trying to make is that a 22 can be thrown around like an 18, but it takes bigger water, which is what we got most days here on our lake.

You want a real hoot, get out there and run with the jet skis in a 16. They will bow to the master wake jumper.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that they are all good. You will not be giving up the spirit of a Classic by moving to the 22. Windy, wild, and a handful will still be on the menu.
You want cool, calm, and collected? Best start looking at Sea Rays!

Todd

RH
06-14-2002, 12:01 AM
Here we go for my .02 worth. I have had the extreme pleasure of driving a 1993 16' with the v-8, a 1969 18' with the Holman Moody 302 and dual quads, 1993 22 Classic with the 502 and Cobra set up, and my 1972 Hornet. Here are my thoughts on all four models. The 16,18 and 22 are all owned by a close family friend of mine and are of course all red! The 16 is a bouncing blast to drive, the trim tabs really helped, but if you are in the bench to the left, it is a bouncing ball that you feel you are about to get thrown out! Nimble, quick and a blast. Now for the 18, a "safer" ride for lack of a better term. It gives me a fuller sense of control with the bucket seats, but still a great ride in the rougher water. The Hornet gives me a feeling of a wider stance in the water than the 16,18 and 22. The bow seems alot wider when looking down the deck, but with the flare at the bow, it is extremely dry. The 22 is alot of fun when the water gets really churning. on the 18, 19 Hornet and the 22, the safe, responsive feeling is incredible. All four boats are great in their own niche. I think one should own them all! There is an occasion for each model! I think they are all great looking rides, but I do like the bow flare on the Hornet and the rarity of them. The 22 does feels like a lot larger boat than that of the 18, but not much larger than the Hornet 19. I think it is because the Hornet is deeper and wider than the Classics. Please note that this is my opinion only and in no way is intended to slam any particular model. Show me another company that can boast this type of model comparison.

Formula Jr
06-14-2002, 12:11 AM
Bench Seat Hornet I. :D