PDA

View Full Version : Broken tow vehicle

Brad Lyon
03-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Well I thought I would take my truck in and have the oil changed, tires rotated and get a front-end alignment to get ready for the trip to Kentucky. First off the tire rotation is a pain in the rear end because four tires have to be broken down and re-mounted and balanced because it is a dually with polished aluminum wheels. Well ok I swallow the $80 tab to do that. Then they call me an hour later and tell me they can not do the front-end alignment. Apparently all of the ball joints need to be replaced. It is going to be an additional $800 to replace all of the ball joints. The truck is a 1999 with 50,157 miles on it. Has anyone else with a Ford Super Duty had any problems with ball joints? I guess I don’t have any choice, I can’t have the front-end fall off of the truck at 70 mph on the way down to Kentucky.

Not thinking to highly of "Built Ford Tough" right now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Brad

http://www.donzi.net/photos/eagleflag.gif

Formula Jr
03-29-2002, 02:37 AM
Guys, let us not decend into a Ford V. Chevy augument here. I mean Ford kicks Chevy
butt, and has for what, 90 years? Let it be. My next Van, Dodge or Ford. GM isn't in
the running any more. I've been enlightened by ownership. :D

BERTRAM BOY
03-29-2002, 05:30 AM
You guys are killing me.
But seriously, $800 sounds way off the chart for ball joints.

anonymous

North of South, no Ford truck in my driveway....

HP 600SC
03-29-2002, 06:22 AM
Does'nt seem right to me.....
hope my Excoursion does not do that!

Dr. Dan
03-29-2002, 06:35 AM
Brad, I just completed a "Wish List For A Front End Complete Rebuild" for my "93 F-150, now I have 156,000 miles on the Lightning so this isn't really an option for me, but,just as a point of reference,there are many parts differences between our vehicles but this might give you a range of acceptable depression :p when it comes to "replacement parts":
Ball Joints($56lower/$92upper+ 2 Seals $40) $652.00 installed :rolleyes: ...Doc

CnV & Family
03-29-2002, 07:22 AM
If it's any consolation, I dropped the tranny out of my Ram 1500 at the end of last year at only 93k. It has severely stunted the Donzi's gas allowance until mid-year... :(

I'm the black sheep from a family of chevys :D

Seriously, hope it's not as expensive as you were quoted.

-C

Forrest
03-29-2002, 08:39 AM
No way that thing needs a front-end overhaul with only 50K miles! Get a second opinon.

Secret F233
03-29-2002, 08:45 AM
Brad my boss has a 99 he said no way get a second opinion. He modifies his truck himself with aftermarket HiPro parts Intercooler, Suspension, Fuelpumps & so on...he ask if you had a hitch on the front & if it was used as a boatyard truck!!!

I've had GMC vans that got a 2nd engine @ 200,000 before anything like that.

KMLFAMILY
03-29-2002, 08:50 AM
Road conditions in your area pretty much dictate when the front end part"s will wear out.Here in the north east with frost heaves, potholes etc.50,000 is common.When they are being checked it still can come down to a judgment call.Ft end shop"s, tire shop"s with alignment equipment this is there bread and butter so they are quick to opt for replacment.Alway"s get a second opinion on big bill"s. GOOD LUCK

AVickers
03-29-2002, 10:30 AM
Tire and alignment shops have a vested interest in replacing stuff. Also, the sales guys get a commission on everything they can talk you into. They do not have a vested interest in assuring that you get good value for your money.

Two fundamental questions: "How are your tires wearing?" "How does your truck drive?"

On Tires: Assuming that they have been kept at proper inflation and rotated/balanced regularly -- How have they been wearing? Are they worn evenly on both edges? Are they holding up as long as they should? If they wear evenly and hold up well, odds are good that your suspension is ok.

On Driving: Assuming the tires are balanced -- Does the front end shimmy? Does the truck pull or wander as you drive it down the road? Is there excessive "play" in the steering? (How does it feel when you move the wheel back and forth a bit with the engine off?). If the truck tracks straight and true and doesn't exibit any goofy handling, odds are good that your suspension is ok.

Unless you remember really whacking something or if you've been in a wreck, I'd suspect that things are fine under the front of your truck -- certainly that it's not unsafe...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."