PDA

View Full Version : Spendy noise??

Blewbyu
12-17-2000, 08:13 PM
Loaned my boat to a friend -end of last summer.When he started engine-he heard a rumbling noise.Looked in engine compt(with engine running)couldn't locate it.When he put it in gear-he found he had left outdrive in full up position.Put it down and prodeeccced to go skiing.Since then-there has been a noise like bearing rumble that transmits itself thru the hull-can hear it when I come off a plane and am idling into dock.It hasn't gotten worse in about 15 hours running(end of summer).
QUESTION:Is there a shaft support bearing between the engine and the outdrive that requires engine removal to change?or can it be changed with engine in boat?U-joints ok-no play at all in them.I have a SBC in front of a Volvo 270 od/290 leg.Any ideas on a noise that you can hear thru the hull?The noise matches throttle setting when boat in gear-ie:speeds up or slows w/throttle.Can't recall if noise still there when out of gear with engine still running.I welcome ideas...
Regards-Jeff

GEOO
12-18-2000, 05:46 AM
Everytime I forgot to lower my 290; the universal joint would cut a hole in my boot. Then the drive would get water into it. GEOO

AVickers
12-18-2000, 12:32 PM
I had the same problem w/ my SBC/280 setup. Had a noise, couldn't isolate it.

At one point, I ran it w/ the foot all the way up on the trailering rod (in the driveway w/ a muff) the helm was hard over as well. In this position, unless the u-joints are perfect, the yoke will hit the inside of the upper foot's flange. Not sure if 25 years of use or running in the "up" position damaged the u-joint, but when I pulled it down for the noise -- which in my case was a rumbling (especially on turns) -- the u-joint (although tight upon initial examination) turned out to be shot (when I took it apart).

Also, the rear intermediate shaft bearing was hosed. The rear bearing is a standard metric size -- available at any bearing house (replace it with one that has seals on both sides) and it can be replaced from the rear (without pulling the engine). BUT it does take a very good set of snap-ring pliers to get the retainer loose. Once the retainer is out, you can use a slide hammer to remove the whole shaft assembly (shaft and rear bearing) from the front bearing -- which will stay in the housing.

Dealing with both those problems took care of the rumble -- and I NEVER run with the foot up any more...

BigGrizzly
12-18-2000, 07:17 PM
I did the same thing, when Itook it apart my universal carrier was wallowed out. it had worked well for the rest of the weekend but had a noise so I changed it . the noise went away. Make your own choice, if it were mine I would take a look see.

Blewbyu
12-20-2000, 07:01 PM
Thanks gentlemen.
Geoo-Didn't your boat sink??
I have pulled the u-joints,but think I just didn't go far enough.Believe that intermediate bearing is the culprit(possibly in combo with a u-joint that just "felt" good)-and I'm pleased to hear that engine doesn't have to come out to get that bearing.Will go back in and get 'em all at the same time I guess......
Best Regards-Jeff

GEOO
12-20-2000, 09:30 PM
Jeff,

The Boat was fine; It took me an hour to find the leak. GEOO