PDA

View Full Version : First Steps...

CnV & Family
03-28-2002, 07:05 AM
Greetings to everyone...

Just wanted to throw out an intro. My family and I are new boaters. We purchased our first boat, a 1997 Donzi Classic 16, in late July of 2001. Boat is not in mint/near mint, but I'd say it's definitely an Excellent. At the time, I'd never heard of Donzi (ok guys, pick your jaws up off the floor). My wonderful wife was driving through town and noticed this boat sitting in the back of this dealers lot. She relayed to me how cool this boat was and I just had to go look. Well, I crawled over it (hey, at least they thought I knew what I was looking for!) and was impressed that it had only 17 hours on it. It was a 4.6L w/a Mercruiser Alpha One outdrive (I think that's the way to put it...). It also has a powerprop (i think that's what he said). We were totally sold when I took off work one day to go 'test drive' it. It topped out at an honest 50mph w/3 adults. Low torque but plenty of gogo. We took it home a few days thereafter!

I already have numerous (probably obvious) questions to ask, but I'll keep this to simply an intro for now!

-C

Digger
03-28-2002, 07:43 AM
C,
welcome to the board! Besides being populated by a bunch of great people, this board is an absolute gold mine for any and all information about Donzi's. Scot, The Harbormaster and board moderator does a fantastic job as "host".

First recommendation I'd make to you is use the "search" function on the board to do research, there's so much good information packed into previous discussion threads! you can find 'em all via the search function.

Enjoy!!

Tony
03-28-2002, 07:48 AM
C,

50mph with a 4.7, that is decent! Of course, as soon as possible, you'll need to post a picture or two. BTW, hang on to your wife, she sounds like a keeper! You will love your Donzi...welcome to the fold.

Ranman
03-28-2002, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the family. This is by far the best boating board on the net and best of all it's exclusive to Donzi's (and other Don Aronow creations like Cigarette, Formula and Magnum). I agree with the others, by using the search function, you will find hours of reading on your Classic.

Just for fun, I'll note that you most likely have the MerCruiser 4.3 liter/Alpha One combo. This should be a V6 Chevy engine. Welcome again and enjoy.

Crazy Horse
03-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey CB & V-
Welcome and congrats on your boat. I must say that your wife gets a big thumb's up being the one to find the 'cool' boat. :cool:

Have fun and ride safe.

Crazy Horse

mattyboy
03-28-2002, 12:01 PM
congrats,cb&v
the 16 is a great boat! I love mine you'll love yours too! welcome aboard!!

matt

CrackerJack
03-28-2002, 12:26 PM
We have the same size Donzi. It is one of the
truely unique things about a classic, is that
just the beauty of the design attracts attention.
An in some cases a love affair forever. I had
always wanted a classic since my first contact
with Donzi years ago in South Fl. In your
area there are alot of other great people with
your same interest. This board is the place
for any question and they are always welcome.
Welcome aboard, Jack.

CnV & Family
03-28-2002, 12:43 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Yes, my wife is an absolutely wonderful lady. :)

I'll be burning up those search functions... so many questions and ideas... my eventual overall goal is to mod as little as possible while pulling the most performance of course!

One thing I will say that I was confused about, the 50mph... The dealer auctually talked as if it should be faster and 50mph for the boat was a little below average. :confused:

Thank you all again for the welcome. I look forward to many interesting and fun discussions!

(and I don't have a spell check OR dictionary :p )

-C

Ranman
03-28-2002, 01:12 PM
I'm not positive, but I thought that boat with the V6 would run 50-54mph. What prop do you have. I think a 19p Vengeance is standard. You'll want to know your drive ratio when tuning and trying props (a number like 1.50 or 1.65 will be stamped on the outdrive) This will help you in determining the right prop. I bet with 1 person, light fuel, and trimmed just right you should break into the mid-50's. How many RPM does it turn at WOT?

GEOO
03-28-2002, 01:28 PM
C-,
Congrat's on buying one of the best running 16 foot boat's ever built. Welcome to this crazy group.
GEOO

CnV & Family
03-28-2002, 01:30 PM
WOT... that I could not answer. I've not auctually paid close attention to the RPMs... If my memory serves me correctly it was mid to high 4s.

I do know the prop is not standard... but the dealer said he changed it out. It was like $300-400.

(Side note: Dealer personally runs a Fountain so I had no issues accepting that at face value. Sometimes I'm too trusting/gullible, but he did give all that information, I just didn't retain it as I should have...)

Live n learn...

-C

PS - We're new to boating as well as Donzi, so cut some slack the lack of general boating knowledge please!

Tom Davis
03-28-2002, 02:41 PM
I had a 1994 16 classic, and I absolutely Loved it. It had the same set up that you have with the 4.3LX package. I was was running a 25 pitch 3 blade SS prop that had some finish work done to it. I was running an honest 55+MPH. It was a great boat for me, I bought it new and ran it until last August, then traded it for a new 22 classic. I wish I had been able to keep both boats, I miss the 16...

Have fun with the new boat, and I look forward to meeting you at one of the many Donzi events.

Tom Davis

Formula Jr
03-28-2002, 02:42 PM
Welcome CB et. all. Good choice, you are about to begin a great adventure that will
take you places you never thought of. We are all here for you, thats what this board is
for.

Bad-Tat
03-28-2002, 03:22 PM
CB,
Where are you on Lanier? I'm up in Cumming with a 16 with OMC 4.3 that was getting 55.3 GPS last year. Have a new 22 on the way from Phoenix so will be selling the 16. They are sweet boats!! Baldridge channel is a blast on a busy day with it!!

Ranman
03-28-2002, 04:16 PM
Sorry C if I seemed forward. I was just trying to provide some useful information. If you stick around on the board for any length of time, you'll be an expert boater and Donzi aficionado in no time. You've got a great boat with a great history behind its creation. Feel free to post any question, regardless of how basic it seems as the people on this board are truly the most helpful and experienced you'll find. Welcome again.

Cuda
03-28-2002, 04:27 PM
I'd say 50 mph with three adults on board is pretty good. I won't be long before your out with 2 gallons of gas in the tank, nekkid, to try to eek the most top speed from it> :D

Rob M
03-28-2002, 04:54 PM
CB:

50 mph with 3 adults sounds right. I have the same boat/engine setup that peaks at 54-55(on speedo)@4800RPM with a 1/4 tank,just the driver in the boat, and the outdrive trimmed to almost "chine walk". I have a 23"SS Mercury Mirage prop. You'll love this boat, but you'll start to dream about V8 power.

Rob

bverd
03-28-2002, 05:33 PM
Okay... I have to jump in here and bring it up because nobody else has. You want to really know what you have gotten yourself into? You have to, and really mean you HAVE to come to AOTH II (http://www.mwdonziclub.com), you will have the time of your life and meet the best people you can find. Oh and did I mention get to boat all weekend with a bunch of Donzi Fanatics. There is a whole crew coming from the Lake Lanier area, just hook up with them on the way.

Congrats on the boat, and welcome. We all look forward to meeting you and talking Donzi. (hint, hint... AOTH II, doing what I can Mr. Bolts) --Brad

marcdups
03-28-2002, 05:58 PM
C & V, congrats on the new ride, I have the same baby and love it, I have seen 58.3 on gps on mine but was turning 5150 rpm's with a 21 laserII, mercruiser specs the engine at 46-4800 rpm. Do you have a two barrel or four barrel carburator? Oh the 58.3 mph was breathing fumes in the fuel tank, just myself and a nice little chop on a cool fall day, and also empty boat sodas, you will love this boat and so will every one else.

If you have any questions I am certain that anyone that has a constructive answer will respond, and sometimes not( we joke once in a while )

Every one I have met are fine folks and so are the ones I have not.

Have fun, you do have some fine folks on Lake Lanier, Bill bateman, Tomhawk, Grizzly is not far, also little Griz

olredalert
03-28-2002, 06:45 PM
C,

-----Welcome,but watch out for Griz.Hell talk you into a supercharged small block and have you doing 85 before you are done.But even if you dont you will have a huge grin planted on your face for years to come!!!!!!!!!!!........just............ol red!

RH
03-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Welcome and Congrats CB and V! You will learn more on this site than anywhere else in the entire WWW. I watched this site grow for 3 years before I was able to purchase my first Donzi about a month ago. You have just entered a very special marque in the world of powerboating. There is an incredible wealth of information and interest from everyone that contributes. Thanks to harbormaster and the rest of the "cast" for teaching me so much about every aspect of the Donzi Marque. Sit back, take it in and ENJOY!

boldts
03-28-2002, 10:38 PM
CB&V's Donzi,
Welcome to the Donzi family. Everyone before me has said it well. This site is the best! You won't find a better group of boat owners anywhere. As the President of the Midwest Donzi Club, I will officially invite you to Lake Cumberland in Jamestown, KY to our annual Awakening of the Horses II or AOTH II. Information about the event can be found in the Events & Gatherings section of this web site or go to www.mwdonziclub.com (http://www.mwdonziclub.com) While your there, please join the club and send me a picture of your boat to add to the site. There is no charge to be a member and the purpose of the site is to meet other Donzi owners all over the country.

P.S. Thanks Brad. You all doing little things in the background to promote the event really is priceless. I appreciate it very much! :D

Tomahawk
03-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Hello C-Dude, welcome aboard and B & V too. My place on April 28. Click on the little envelope above and drop me an E-mail. I'll give you the details. Then, in May, we all go to AOTH at Lake Cumberland in a Donzi caravan up I-75 from Cartersville. Y'all are going to get a kick out of all this. Come on over and let's get acquainted. Joe, Bill, Randy, Marc,Brad, Greg, Mike, Skip, you guys want to do a breakfast this weekend? Cya,C. Tom :)

Formula Jr
03-28-2002, 11:51 PM
And please understand CB, that there are no stupid questions here, except the one
you don't ask. Some of the most basic questions have stimulated the longest and most interesting topics. I know cause I've asked some of them and sometimes what looks
like a dumb question is actually a profound question in sheep's clothing. Your
adventure has just begun. Going to AOTH II would be a blast. I know you're thinking,
"Hey, I don't know these guys."

Last year, I traveled 2760 miles to AOTH l, to meet a group of
total strangers, - I didn't even a bring a Donzi - and it was worth it, and a fantastic
time!!!!! These guys really extend a Welcome. You're part of the Donzi family now.

CnV & Family
03-29-2002, 06:45 AM
Ranman,

Bring it on! I take in any and all information available!!! Nothing's too forward or direct. In fact, I appreciate that. You've (everyone actually) got me all fired up about knowing _exactly_ what's in the boat and _all_ the numbers... :)

As a matter of fact, I'm about to go crazy sitting here at work when I drove over lanier at 6:45 this morning and she was all glass. No boats, no chop, no wind. *drool* Suffice it to say my work day is now completely shot! :rolleyes: :D

To expound on my PS. I was just simply noting that I'll probably look like a dufus when it comes to some things because I'm not exactly well versed in boating in general. (I'm sheepishly saying it took me a few minutes to figure out what WOT was! Thank goodness it was logical :) )

-C

CnV & Family
03-29-2002, 07:08 AM
Wow, I'm overwhelmed with all the welcomes... Sorry I haven't thanked each one individually. You guys are great and this place is awesome.

Well, let me say that we're up near the NE part of Lanier. As a Network Admin, I'm a stickler for privacy so I apologize for being so vague. In time I'm sure I'll disclose a lot more info.

Thanks for the invites to AOTH II! I'm honoured, but must decline this year as it interferes with other plans. It does sound quite exciting tho! Be sure to post pics! You guys have some incredible crafts...

I'm going to try and get the Donzi in the water this coming week if I can. I was told when it was winterized, the first thing I needed to have done before putting it back in was have it 'fogged out', 'defogged', or something like that. Basically I was told I might have some water somewhere it shouldn't have been. I hope this is not a problem, or that expensive...

-C

pmreed
03-30-2002, 12:06 AM
I was wondering just what it was you were doing in Mt. Dora Scott...now I know...unwinterizing. Well, I'd have to say it worked; I didn't see nary a snowflake the whole weekend!

Welcome to the Registry, CB&V's Donzi, you'll enjoy the company and appreciate all the help you can get.

Phil

ToonaFish
03-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Welcome aboard! You have now entered the land of Donzimania, there is no turning back. Surrender to the madness and enjoy the ride! (And I'm thrilled to have another Georgia sucker to bum rides from!) Got to take the mumblemumblebassmumblemumble boat out on Allatoona yesterday and enjoy the glory of a spring day... today's rain and a barn filled with Easter Egg seekers makes me glad I played hooky when I could! Look forward to meeting you and your obviously tasteful wife!

Bunches,

Celene 'you'll be sweet sixteen everyday!'

CnV & Family
04-01-2002, 07:33 AM
Ok, dropped the Donzi off for dewinterization... and got a little information off the boat as well. Exactly as others have noted:

4.3LX
Alpha One
Gen +

1.38 (stamped on outdrive)

Prop says Mach Stern Driver and it's a 4 blade. I couldn't find anything else imprinted on it. Where else to look?

Oh yeah, it's the silent exhaust style too. I figured this was standard, but wasn't sure after looking through all the pics :)

-C

CnV & Family
04-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Wow. I'm learning fast. Always give yourself plenty of time to have the boat dewinterized before any inkling of sun arrives. I'm sitting here looking at the week forcast and the boat won't be ready till Friday simply because they're backed up. Sheesh.

I'd much rather do all this myself, but since I hadn't discovered this board... It's not like I could have asked for advice for a first time winterizing... you all will get those questions at the end of this year :D

In the meantime, I'll do as been previously mentioned by someone in another thread...

<pulls up Donzi pics and makes noises>

Really, it helps! :D

Sorry for all the useless dribble... No one else in the work space shares boating interests!

-C

Sagbay32
04-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Hey C,
I have been caught numerous times playing the video clips over and over and over.....all winter long.

Spring is in the air!!!

BigGrizzly
04-01-2002, 06:33 PM
Welcom C. We the Lanier Donzi Dudes have a combined ecperience that will overwhelm you. We have every size from a 16 Classic to a 28ZX and may even have a 33 Crossbow soon. Jump on and do a Breakfast with us. If we don't have an answer we can get it. If it doesn't exist we will find it anyway. I have a house on Lanier near Warhill Park. I'll look in the basment for that little procharger, the last time I saw it It was on the mini bike.

Randy

Formula Jr
04-01-2002, 11:06 PM
First we can save you some money. You don't need some other party telling you how to
winterize or de-winterize your boat. We all do this every year. And we usually do it well
unless you are a complete idiot, like me, and leave your battery connected!! There is
no such operation as "Defogging." You just run the boat on muffins and run out all the antifreeze on the
raw water side that may have been in the system, before first launch. Spark plugs are not
fowled by fogging. The coating is light and burns off.
You don't have to clean them. But people do anyway, every month, cause they are
fanatics.

Tomahawk
04-02-2002, 06:15 AM
C - I'm on Lanier just south of Brown's Bridge in Balus Creek. Grey double boat house. When you splash, come on by and say howdy. Call me at my office at 678 339 2610 from about 9:00 to 8:00 or E-mail my home at RTRiggle@aol.com . Try to meet some fellow Donzi owners at my place on April 28. :)

CnV & Family
04-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Ok BG... Procharger on a minibike? Are there any tires left to balance?!? I can't say much, I toyed around with the notion of a Paxton on my truck but it never materialized. :D I do, however, have the K&N Filter. Hey, a K&N Setup on the Donzi might not be too bad. I'll have to run a search. Wonder if it's worth it.. (thinking out loud now :) )

FJr... I didn't think it would be that much trouble to do it, but I sure didn't want to screw something up first time around. Thanks for all the info too!

Tom... I messaged you my email...

-C

Tomahawk
04-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Thanks C. - info on gathering is on the way.