PDA

View Full Version : Annual "Awakening of the Horses"

boldts
12-16-2000, 01:40 AM
This is the announcement that members of the Midwest Donzi Club have been working feverishly to announce. We will hold our first gathering at Lake Cumberland Kentucky. Everyone is invited. If you are willing to tow, we will be waiting to greet you and have a wonderful weekend on beautiful Lake Cumberland. If you are interested in attending, go to: http://www.geocities.com/boldts Once at this site, follow the "Horses" to web sites and information on the gathering. Make your reservations now!! Space is limited at the Jamestown Marina Resort. We look forward to meeting many of our friends from donzi.net.

Scott Boldt http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

BigGrizzly
12-16-2000, 09:33 AM
We be there! Just talked to Lady Grizzly, she agrees. Will contact you soon.
Tomahawk, give us a call at home and lets get this show on the road and wake up some big horses. We need to get the itinerary together.

The Grizzly family

boldts
12-16-2000, 11:16 AM
I'm looking forward to finally meeting many of you. I'm putting in my requests for good weather already. Had to move the date to May 11 through the 13th due to a jet ski poker run the following weekend. RTRigger has contacted the Donzi management and Nick Miller is planning on attending the gathering. Things are really starting to come together.

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
12-16-2000, 11:20 AM
Count me in.... sounds like a road trip is in order. My horses will already be awake but they will definately be ready to rock!
Bryan

GEOO
12-16-2000, 02:50 PM
HUM!! Inlaws live in Ohio near Cleveland. How far is Lake Cumberland from Cleveland??? Can a three month old go on a road trip???? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif GEOO

boldts
12-16-2000, 03:03 PM
GEOO,
Cleveland is 2.5 hrs north of Columbus, OH where I live. The trip to Lake Cumberland Kentucky is 6 + hrs. for me. If you are in to towing long distances, we'd be glad to have you attend our event. I haven't looked at the road atlas, there might be a western OH highway that heads south to KY. I know I would like to meet one of the true legends of the donzi.net web site!!

Scott Boldt (More HORSES, Yea....)

Scott Pearson
12-16-2000, 04:01 PM
Boldts,
Wont be comming out in May, but will be going to Lake Cumberland in Aug. for vacation. Rented a 77 foot house boat and I will be bring the Donzi. Sounds like a good time.

Scott

RickR
12-16-2000, 04:13 PM
I'll be there! Can't wait!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

boldts
12-16-2000, 05:29 PM
RickR - Glad to here it. Can't wait to finally get to meet you. Are you planning on still camping out? If so, please fill out the registration form at the bottom of the event information page. I'm working on setting up someone who lives at the lake to collect the $$ ($14 per night) and be at the State Dock campsite Fri. the 11th to reserve campsites for those wanting them because it is a 1st come 1st serve on the sites and it would be nice to have everyone near each other.
Scott P. - Who knows, if everyone likes the lake, maybe we can think about another gathering in August and join you while you are there.
We're 146 days away and counting down! Ahhh Maybe I should attempt to add a count down clock to the website.

GEOO
12-16-2000, 09:36 PM
Boldts,

Thanks for the info. This road trip would need some planning with the Mrs's??? GEOO

boldts
12-16-2000, 10:26 PM
GEOO,
If you can't make the Lake Cumberland "Awakening", maybe we can get together up in Cleveland and boat on Erie and the Cleveland Flats this summer. Let me know when you are in Cleveland visiting your family. I'll try to get up there to meet you. If nothing else, we could at least do lunch.

Scott

Tom on Lanier
12-16-2000, 11:00 PM
Scott - OUTSTANDING! Beautiful lake and very nice resort as well. "Mrs. Tomahawk" and I are looking forward to this as an extra special occassion. We will see a lot of you folks at the Potofino in March also. Portofino for show, Cumberland for go. Eufaula gang reunite. Let's get ready to ROCK!!

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

BigGrizzly
12-17-2000, 03:20 PM
Reservations are in, lets boogie

roadtrip
12-17-2000, 03:22 PM
Scott,
Thanks for launching what will definitely become an annual event at Cumberland. I have stated it before on this site, but it's worth repeating; we have been going to Cumberland for fourteen years and it is easily the most beautiful lake on the planet! I wouldn't be worthy of my handle, if I said I couldn't make it. I'm in! ROADTRIP!
I have one other member of the Texas Donzi contingent on the hook also. Scott V,
A Vickers, and other Texans; Cumberland is any easy days drive from Fort Worth. I've done it many times and I would proud to lead the Texas convoy to what will surely be a super weekend. It's on the calendar.
Todd Somerville

RickR
12-17-2000, 03:57 PM
Boldts
Do you know anyone I can contact who has camped there.
I was wondering if there are designated areas for tent camping ONLY.
I hate listening to generators all night.

------------------
RICKR

boldts
12-17-2000, 04:16 PM
Just wanted to let everyone who has already registered know: 1) Looking forward to meeting you all! 2) I am working on putting all your names and E-mail addresses into a formal listing so we can get folks coming from the same areas of the country together. That way you can travel together to help out in cases of problems on the trip. Not to mention, it will be cooool seeing a flock of Donzi traveling and arriving at the event together. 3) I want to THANK Tom Riggle (RTRiggle)and Ed Hodgkinson(fasteddie)who with-out their support and help, this event would have never been started. Those of you who are still working out details and tying up the loose ends, this gathering could not take place with-out your efforts also.
Right now, my Horses are snoring, but every once in-a-while, I hear a quiet rumble and I know they are dreaming of the weekend when they will get to run with all their friends at Lake Cumberland.

GEOO
12-17-2000, 07:15 PM
Scott,
I'll keep you posted when I go out to Cleveland. I would love to hook up. The inlaws actually live in Hudson, about 25 mins from Cleveland.
I looked up Lake Cumberland, it's a good 7 to 8 hours from Hudson. HUM?!?!?! GEOO

boldts
12-17-2000, 08:25 PM
RickR,
I don't know anyone who has camped there. I'm thinking about camping also. Probably the best thing for us to do, would be to give the campground a call. Maybe they can send a layout of the camp sites. My inlaws have a pop up camper. (no generator) This will mean driving 2 vehicles to Cumberland. The cost to this may equal out to the cost of a room in the lodge.

Scott

Tom on Lanier
12-17-2000, 08:39 PM
Big Grizzly - we're in at the lodge too. Joe P., Bait Man and Little Grizz - join the Georgia caravan. Forrest, Emmo, Gene and Dave - we can link up with you guys along I-75 someplace. Varyak, we can meet you in Cartersville.
Michiganders - this Lake was selected to make it reasonable for you to be there because there are a bunch of you on this site. If "Roadtrip" can come from Texas, surely you can bomb I-75 and be there .
From a displaced Michigander -

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

RedDog
12-17-2000, 09:07 PM
Mine are roaring, saying lets go - can't wait until May. Anyway I hope to me there - would prefer to camp on the lake if the site is also water front. I hate the sound of a generator in a campground too. But maybe the roar of a finely tuned BB can drown it out! Never been to a boat rally but it sounds like some Brit Bike rallies I have been to - laid back fun and good rides. Yes - I am still sitting in the driveway making motor boat sounds! It's OK - the neighbors have always wondered about me but I don't care....

&gt;Right now, my Horses are snoring, but every once in-a-while, I hear a quiet rumble and I know they are dreaming of the weekend when they will get to run with all their friends at Lake Cumberland. &lt;

------------------
Tim Floyd
tsfloyd@bigfoot.com

Peter Beck
12-18-2000, 07:10 PM
We have our reservations for this event. Looking forward to spring and meeting all of you!! Currently in Northwest Ohio we have 12 inches of snow and 30 mph winds. May will not arrive quick enough.

BigGrizzly
12-18-2000, 07:49 PM
Reddog both rallies are about the same except the helmets. The people are great everybody loves everyone elses boat etc.
Stop making thoes engine noises, I can here them in Atlanta. My wife thinks its me.
Besides keep it up and you'll split your lip and be sore all the way into june. Ok,Ok some of them were me. Can't wait to see the grin on your face. You will fit in just great

Randy

boldts
12-18-2000, 08:06 PM
Just an added note. Remember to register by going to the form at the bottom of the information page. You will also notice I have added a count down to the Awakening and on the information page at the top is a Members list. At the moment, Ohio has the most registered members. How about the Texas gang? When you fill out the registration form, I get a e-mail with the forms information. I then transfer this information to the Members page.

Scott Boldt

RickR
12-18-2000, 08:10 PM
FYI
I emailed and sent a request for camping info.
I'll also call but the campground is closed in the winter.

------------------
RICKR

boldts
12-18-2000, 08:50 PM
Thanks Rick. When you get that information, could you forward it to me or let me know what it says and I'll add it to the information page.

Scott

GEOO
12-18-2000, 09:04 PM
Boldts,
I think I'm almost half way there!!! My bride would love to see her parents in Ohio in May. Now all I need to do is mention the boat may be in tow. I'm optimistic, I filled out the entry form anyway!!!

Big Griz,
Which boat are you bringing??? I think I know the answer!!!!

GEOO http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 12-18-2000).]

boldts
12-18-2000, 09:55 PM
Geoo,
I finally took some time and looked up where Hudson is. It looks like you would come 271 to I71 south. I71 and I70 west become one in Columbus for about a mile before I71 continues south to Cincinnati and on to Kentucky. I coming from east side of Columbus and could meet you at I71 south of I70 west since I will be coming I70 west to I71 south. We can then meet with Craig Marks who will be coming south on I75 from Findlay, OH. Byron Scholle lives in Cincinati, OH so we could all meet him on I75 heading south to KY. Peter Beck has a couple of options coming out of Northwest OH (Napoleon, OH) He can come east to I75 or he can go west to I69 then I65 down through IN. If we go down the I75 route, we can meet up with the gang coming from GA and VA. Can be a pretty cool convoy of Donzi boats heading for Lake Cumberland.

GEOO
12-18-2000, 10:15 PM
Boldts,
Sounds great!! I'll keep planning. Oh, first I have to put the boat back together. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif
Where is everyone staying? How much are Hotels? Is it expensive to rent a House Boat? (Portable Toilet, shower, food, good for pictures). I sent for info on the web. GEOO

boldts
12-18-2000, 10:49 PM
Geoo,
I did the House boat once. You need 10 to 12 folks to split the cost to make it reasonable for us family folks. I'm still kicking a couple of ideas around with my wife, but it looks like we are probably going to do a lodge room. State Dock offers a better launch ramp so I've been told, but since I'm the starter of this event, I should probably stay at Jamestown Marina to help with the organizing of things once we're all there.

Scott

roadtrip
12-19-2000, 12:13 AM
Okay Mr. Boldt!
We're officially registered. Scott Dabbs is out this week on vacation, so I will remind him to get his name on the list when he gets back. I assure you that he is more fired up about this than I am, so there will be at least two long haulers from Texas in attendance. Although I thought about it when I went to check on my beast a couple of days ago, I did resist sitting in it and making big block engine noises. Sure is going to be fun to meet a bunch of these fanatics! Happy hoildays all!
Todd Somerville

boldts
12-19-2000, 05:21 AM
Roadtrip (Todd),
I didn't mean to come off pressuring, I'm looking forward to meeting one of the biggest supporters and instigators in making this event happen. Not to mention, your bringing a friend with a Donzi. I'll get your name and boat added to the membership after work tonight. Thanks again. 143 more days!! I got to get to work on my boat. It'll be here before we know it.

Scott Boldt

Forrest
12-19-2000, 08:53 AM
I would really like to go to this one, but for us Donzi folks living in Florida, driving to Kentucky at first glance seems driving to Montana! But in reality, I'm sure that it's not all that far. Hell, RickR drives to Florida and back to Tennessee towing his Donzi . . . well, I would say that it's do-able. Let me check my schedule.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 12-19-2000).]

Bandit
12-19-2000, 11:48 AM
Wow, I haven't been on the site for a few days and I found out that everyone is coming to my backyard! I've got a house on Lake Cumberland in Somerset and I'll definitely be there.

Depending on the weather, I might be leaving from this end of the lake early Sat. morning to meet up with everyone at Jamestown. Therefore, if anyone is staying in Somerset and would like to take the 38mi. trip, let me know. There's at least one other Donzi that will be with me. Also, my dock could hold several boats if needed.

I'll be available to help with the Fri. activities and anything else that might assist in bring my fellow Donzi owners together for a great weekend.

------------------
Bandit...

roadtrip
12-19-2000, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Forrest:
I would really like to go to this one, but for us Donzi folks living in Florida, driving to Kentucky at first glance seems driving to Montana! But in reality, I'm sure that it's not all that far. Hell, RickR drives to Florida and back to Tennessee towing his now Donzi . . . well, I would say that it's do-able. Let me check my schedule.

Forrest,
Roadtrip here! Let's see if I can "assist" you a little, as my daddy used to say! I saw your posting and popped out to mapquest.com for distances. From Fort Worth to Jamestown is 840 miles. We ususally make it in about 13 hours depending on pit stops or about 65 mph on average. From Tallahasee to Jamestown is 556 miles at 65 mph is 8.5 hours. You get on the road at 6 AM and you are in paradise with your Donzinet brothers by the middle of the afternnoon! Sorry, have to live up to my title as a major instigator of this event. Finally, I just made reservations at State Park Lodge for 68/night for 2 double beds at 800.325.1709. Hope this info helps to get you, and others from Florida, to the lake in May!
Todd Somerville

boldts
12-19-2000, 01:31 PM
Todd (Roadtrip),
Way to go buddy! With you in our corner, we might get the West coast to this event. Thanks for encouraging us to get it together. I got to tell ya, I've never had so much trouble sleeping at night in my life. I am having so much fun working with everyone to make this happen. All I want for Christmas is Sunny days on May 11th through the 13th. My wife wants to kick me out of the house because I can't stop talking about the "Awakening"

Bandit,
I think I sent you an e-mail back when we first began to get things together. Are you the man that can help me with event shirts? I lost the e-mail of the person who said they could help in that area. I haven't figured out how yet, but I'd like to be able to give everyone who attends the event, a commemorative shirt of the first annual "Awakening of the Horses"

Fasteddie,
I'm very interested in speaking to you. You've helped more than you know already. The best suggestion was: Keep it simple! I'll call you tonight per your note.

Scott Boldt

Peter Beck
12-19-2000, 02:24 PM
The Jamestown resort is $89.95 a night.

BigGrizzly
12-19-2000, 02:42 PM
Forrest, if you can't bring your boat wizz up here and ride with me and share driving my boat up there. Or if you need a stop off, I have plenty of room.
Todd glad your comming. Hell that goes for everyone!!! Darn I going over board again. What can I say "My Damn Donzi" is fun.
Geoo , you broke the code, yep I am bringing The Criterion. Just for fun look criterion up in the dictionary, just for grinns.

Randy

boldts
12-19-2000, 02:42 PM
I'll have to check again, but the State Park Lodge with 2 beds per room, at this time of year, is $68.95 I believe. I'll check and get back to you all. Unless someone who has made their reservation already can let us know.

Scott

Bandit
12-19-2000, 05:19 PM
Hey Scott B.,

We've e-mailed several times prior to the announcement, but I wasn't the shirt guy.

If you need anything, e-mail me.

------------------
Bandit...

RickR
12-20-2000, 01:31 PM
Campground
The campground is not on the water.
There are no generator restrictions but all campsights have electricity.
There are no tent only areas.

Does anyone know the restrictions for primitive camping on the lake?

Looks like the standard rate for Fri Sat is $89.95. Has anyone asked for a group discount? I sent an email to Frieda but she is off for the holidays till the 1st of the year.Jamestown Marina (http://www.jamestown-marina.com/lodging.htm)

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 12-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 12-20-2000).]

boldts
12-20-2000, 03:19 PM
OK Gentlemen. I called the State Park Lodge about reservations today. There are 161 rooms at their lodge. The cost for the May 11th through May 13th weekend is $68.00 per night for 2 people plus tax so lets say $75.00. We are meeting at the Jamestown Marina, but that does not mean we have to stay there. $40.00 plus in room savings will take care of the fuel in my Donzi for the weekend. Another option here is staying in Somerset. Bandit (David) can help you with Motels and Hotels available. Remember though, you will probably have to pay some type of launching fee. By staying at State Park or Jamestown, you may save $45.00 in launch fees. I will give Freida a call Jan. 2nd and see if we can get a group discount. My guess is that we will need a certain amount of rooms reserved to get any kind of discount. Check the websites that were provided in the information area. There are many different places to stay. (Bed & Breakfasts, Cabins, etc) I hope this helps. I know some of you are coming from a good distance so any money savings that we can find, will be much appreciated.

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
12-20-2000, 04:51 PM
Sounds great! What is the phone number for the state lodge? Is there a "link' for them specifically?
My wife says I am crazy to tow that far, and she too like someone else posted is sick of hearing about it! LOL
Bryan

boldts
12-20-2000, 05:52 PM
Here is the reservation phone number for the Jamestown State Park Lodge. 1-800-325-1709 You will have to send one nights cost when you set-up your reservation.

Bandit
12-21-2000, 07:23 AM
For you campers,

The banks of the lake are owned by the Corps, and therefore, you can camp anywhere for free.

There's an island just outside of Jamestown Marina with decent camping spots, but no water or electric (or generators), just trees and the water.

------------------
Bandit...

boldts
12-27-2000, 10:04 PM
Gentlemen,
I just want to keep you informed as to what I've been working on lately. Today I spoke with a screen printing company about creating a first ever "Awakening of the Horses" official T-Shirt. I should have the art work ready by next week. I'm also thinking about a Midwest Donzi Club polo shirt for those of you who are allowed to dress casual at work or would like something a little nicer for your wives or gal friends. As soon as we iron out the all the details, (Price, shirt art, etc.) I will try to post a picture of the shirts front and back. I will then take orders and place an order for the shirts wanted probably on a once a month schedule. The shirts should be in the mail to you about 2 weeks later.
I am still planning on getting with the lodges (State Park and Jamestown) to inquire about a group discount rate to help out on the trip cost. After reading some of the posts under the 22zx heading, I think Friday is going to be a wonderful learning day. I look forward to learning from the folks who have tried and lived it in their Donzis. I also would like to feel the difference between the different types of Donzi models.

Scott Boldt

FASTEDDIE
12-28-2000, 06:17 AM
Scott,
Put me down for two tee shirts, please. They
would be a wonderful Spring Donzi fashion statement.

------------------
FASTEDDIE

Bryan Tuvell
12-28-2000, 07:44 AM
I am planning the trip. I hope to stay at a buddys mom's cabin in a town down the road. Just mapped it out from the eastern shore, 722.7 miles! Now that is a road trip!
Bryan

v-drive
01-02-2001, 09:31 PM
I CALLED STATE PARK AND JAMESTOWN TODAY. I'M LEANING TOWARD JAMESTOWN BECAUSE YOU CAN RESERVE A BOAT SLIP FOR $10.00 WHEN YOU RESERVE YOUR ROOM.FRIEDA SAID THE SLIPS WERE RIGHT NEXT TO THE ROOMS.THE WOMAN AT STATE PARK DIDN'T KNOW THE PRICE OF THEIR BOAT SLIPS, BUT SAID THEY WERE 1/4 MILE FROM THE ROOMS.I'M NOT PLANNING ON HAVING TO USE THE SLIP VERY MUCH ,BUT IN CASE OF A RESTROOM BREAK OR BOLONGA SANDWICH I DON'T WANT TO WALK A 1/4 MILE.

Emmo
01-03-2001, 10:52 PM
I am definitely going to this thing. Hey Forrest, I'll split the gas with you if you want to bring your X-18 through Montgomery and pick me up. I love your 16, but the ride is a little hairy sitting sideways. I'm not sure my 360,000 Ford truck will make it there and back. The clutch, tranny and rear-end are original. I will at least have to pull the Weber 32/38 off its 6 cyl and put a small 4 bbl to get through the mountains (it has a Clifford manifold).

------------------
Emmo mailto:emmette@emmette.comemmette@emmette.com</A>

roadtrip
01-05-2001, 08:08 PM
GOD BLESS TEXAS! Last weekend, it's snowing, this weekend Scotty Dabbs and I are out running the Donzis in mid-60 degree temps.
You northerners can have that wicked jet stream. We will be out enjoying the cool air for some serious running. Sorry to appear in gloating mode, but us Donzi die hards loving running our boats and often!
Besides, we got to get through this break-in period, so we are fully ready for Cumberland. Cumberland is going to be awesome. Scott B, thanks for starting it up. Those of you still thinking about it, sign up! It's going to be a blast! With anticipation and staying in driving shape!
Todd Somerville

boldts
01-05-2001, 08:13 PM
Hello Guys and Gals.
I finally had time today to check on whether we will receive any discounts if we stay at either the Jamestown Resort or the Jamestown State Park Lodge.
Here's the deal, Frieda from the Jamestown Resort was not available, but she will return my call on Monday. When I spoke to Danny Foley at the Jamestown State Park using the 1-800-325-1709 reservation number, I was told that as long as when you make your reservation you tell them that you are with the Midwest Donzi Club, you will receive a 10% discount on your rate. Soooo, If you have already made a reservation at the State Park Lodge, give them a call back and tell them you are with the Midwest Donzi Club to get the discount. For those of you who said you wanted to camp at the State Park, I was assured that there would be no problem with obtaining a site at whatever time you arrive on Friday. (Early Spring) I still would like to have one of the lake residents collect your rental money and go to the park on Friday morning and make the reservations for those wanting to camp.
At present, there are 13 Donzi owners registered and planning to come to Lake Cumberland. There is no cost to join the Midwest Donzi Club so if your thinking about coming to our FIRST ANNUAL "AWAKENING", be sure to register with the club. This information is for your use to contact other members from in and around your home. All members are listed by the state they live in along with their e-mail address.
First ever "AWAKENING" shirts and Midwest Donzi Club polo shirts are still in the works although I will be meeting with the artist again next week. They were unable to use the images from our web page, so I had to do a little digging thru my old boat show catalog bags to find what they needed.
That's about it for now. Any questions or ideas, please drop me an e-mail. I welcome everyone's input. Were a 126 days away from the day we awaken our horses at Lake Cumberland. I can't wait!!

Scott Boldt

v-drive
01-06-2001, 08:10 AM
HAS ANYBODY THOUGHT ABOUT CALLING HOT BOAT MAGAZINE? IN ALOT OF ISSUES THEY HAVE PHOTOS FROM CLUB GATHERINGS. MIKE MILLER WOULD CERTAINLY HAVE THE MOST INFLUENCE WITH A PHONE CALL. WHAT DO YOU THINK MIKE?

boldts
01-06-2001, 08:36 AM
v-drive,
Geoo had sent me an e-mail about the very subject you are inquiring about. He also asked about getting the word out on other web sites like offshoreonly.com. I told him no problem from me!! If you guys want to meet more and more Donzi owners and maybe they don't know about the donzi.net web site, the only way they will find out about us is if we get the word out and try to find them.

I also stated to Geoo that at the moment, I have 13 Donzi owners registered as coming to the Lake Cumberland "Awakening" That is a wonderful number of Donzis, but it is not the number of boats that say a Lake Tahoe Hot Boat Group would have and that the magazine "Hot Boat" would cover. You never know though. Hot Boat might just be interested in doing a piece on Donzis and their restoration. You have to admit, Donzi has received a lot of attention lately with the opening of the movie "Charlie's Angels" and the TV show "Nash Bridges".

Mike Miller, if you have any advice in this area as far as who to contact at "Hot Boat" or could pull a few strings from your end, I think the more we can get Donzi's name in the lime light, the better. If not for our first time event, maybe for the "Annual Lake George Dustoff" since Fasteddie has been doing this much longer than we have and usually has someone special associated with Donzi to speak to the attendees.

Great idea V-Drive! I am working on a event flier this weekend to put on our web site: http://www.geocities.com/boldts for everyone to print off and circulate in your areas. Boat show season is upon us and is an excellent way to get the word out if your local Donzi dealer will allow you to give them a few fliers.

Scott Boldt

Tom on Lanier
01-06-2001, 08:57 AM
Scott ,I'm thinking Bobbie Kenyon who writes for Hotboat. Met her last year at a Donzi/Honda press thing we did at Universal Studios in Orlando. Her husband is also a big deal in APBA and they are in Miami, I believe. I have her card at work.
Speedvision might be interested but that would probably take Nick or Mike to pull off. The angle might be the neat, restored vintage Donzi's a lot of guys have.

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

boldts
01-06-2001, 11:38 PM
For those of you who would like to help spread the word about the "Awakening", here is a Flier I put together. Print a few off and leave them with the Donzi dealer in your area or at a local boat show. http://www.geocities.com/boldts/flier.html

Thanks;
Scott Boldt

Tom on Lanier
01-07-2001, 10:13 AM
Scott - you are THE MAN. I'll get one into Park Marine at Lake Lanier. Grizz or Joe P., can one of you take one to their Marietta store?

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

boldts
01-07-2001, 11:19 AM
Thanks Tom - Tomahawk! I do not have any connections with the magazine area, so any help you can give in finding out if they might be interested in the "Awakening" go for it.

Tom Riggle - First, thanks for your fine job of entertaining the Donzi folks while they were at your home. Second, can you believe this all started with a simple e-mail about getting together on Lake Cumberland?

I applaude everyone's efforts and the work that you have done to help me get this event started. I especially need to thank Scot (harbormaster) for giving us a place to meet other Donzi owners. By the way, I love the T-Shirt I received for XMAS. Things are tight, but I definately want to send you a contrabution to go towards the running of donzi.net.

Keep the ideas coming... A group of ideas is much better than one. It gives us options!

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
01-07-2001, 09:29 PM
Bandit, did you get my email about the lake lay out/docks? Thanks, Bryan

boldts
01-08-2001, 11:04 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I spoke with Frieda from the Jamestown Resort today. Jamestown is offering a 10% discount for our event the same as the State Park Lodge is. There are 25 rooms blocked for us of which 6 have been reserved. If our group reserves 10 rooms, we will receive a free meeting room that is located on the dock in front of the marina. No pressure to anyone if you don't want to pay the additional cost to stay there over the Jamestown State Park. Just a reminder that if you made a reservation and didn't tell them you were with the Midwest Donzi Club, give them a call back and let them know so you will receive the discount and we will get credit for the room. She also mentioned that Mike Miller of Donzi was registered with the Jamestown Resort. "Mike" are you bringing a new 38'ZX Daytona with very LARGE HORSES with you for us to test drive? I'm glad you can make it!
I am also calling today the company that will be screen printing our commeritive T-Shirts for the "Awakening" If you remember, they needed some better pictures than what I could give them from our web site. I should have a cost, color, size break down for you soon and I hope a front, back picture that I can place on our web site.

Just wanted to keep you all informed with developements.

Bandit
01-08-2001, 12:41 PM
Bryan, I just got back in the office and I e-mailed you along with a copy to ScottB.

If you need any additional info, just let me know.

------------------
Bandit...

Bryan Tuvell
01-08-2001, 01:54 PM
Thanks Bandit... It was very helpful. See ya in May.
Bryan

RickR
01-08-2001, 04:16 PM
I made my reservation at the State Park Lodge
$61.20+tax=$66.82 May 11-12
One day is charged for a deposit, refundable if cancelled more than 7 days in advance.
1-800-325-1709

Slips are available at the State Park Dock 1st come 1st served for $30 per day (I'll be pulling the 22 in and out)
1-888-782-8336

I still have not given up on camping. Tommie and I will try to take a road trip to Cumberland soon to check everything out.

------------------
RICKR

boldts
01-08-2001, 05:00 PM
Rick,
I only had to send $55.00 when I registered with the State Park Lodge. Did you mention that you were with the Midwest Donzi Club for the 10% discount?
Let me know. I'm interested why my stay is less than yours. Something a miss here and I want to make sure that everyone gets what I got.

Scott Boldt

RickR
01-08-2001, 05:34 PM
Scott
I did mention I was with the MDClub.
They said they were charging me one days stay so I assumed they would charge my card $66.20
They gave me a 10% discount over the $68.95 rate.

How many days left? Can't wait!

------------------
RICKR

Tom on Lanier
01-08-2001, 10:08 PM
Scott - I'll coordinate with Mike Miller re;the Hot Boat folks. I have an idea that may influence them.
BTW, it was the Big Grizzly family that hosted us in their home over the holidays. Especially Mama Bear (Barb).
Mike - great to see that you will be there. Joe P. is signing up as well.
Rick - Whiskey for my horses, water for my men - WE RIDE AT DAWN!!

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

Bryan Tuvell
01-28-2001, 03:38 PM
Just thought I would comment here, just so this post did not get lost in the weeds!
103 days to go! Lets Rock!
Thanks Scott for all your work on this event!!!!
Bryan

GEOO
01-28-2001, 06:09 PM
I'm slowly getting her in shape for Kentucky.
Cut a template out of paper for the new carpet.
Bought a second auto bilge pump, need to install it.
Cleaning up some wiring in the bilge.
Doing some final fabrication of mounts for the heat exchanger. Then the engine is ready to drop back in.
Need to find some type of latch to hold down the floor hatch.
Also need to secure rear seat down from flying out.
Oh new tires on the trailer, the old ones wore funny???
Then a quick waxing... Can't Wait!!! GEOO

Bryan Tuvell
01-28-2001, 07:19 PM
Geoo you sound busy but focused, can't wait to see her in KY!
R/Bryan

boldts
01-28-2001, 09:03 PM
Thanks Gentlemen for reminding me the boat in the garage needs some attention before AOTH. Been busy and neglecting her lately. I did here a rumbling when I entered the garage and the temperature was above 32 the other day. Do any of you have a web site address that we can post an invitation on to try and pull some more Donzi owners out of the woodwork? Don't get me wrong, donzi.net is the best Donzi web site. Thank-you Scot. None of this could have begun with out this web site. Any chance you can join Roadtrip and come from TX to KY? It would be great to meet the person who has introduced me to so many other Donzi owners and friends. We are inviting all Donzi models to the "Awakening". I have received a couple e-mails from Donzi owners who thought our event was a Classic owners meeting only. I would like to make sure that the invitation is extended to everyone.

GEOO
01-29-2001, 05:44 AM
Scott,
Put a post in http://offshoreonly.com/ for the Donzi Rendezvous. I know of a few of those guys run Donzi's. (not all of the guys on this site are Meatheads). GEOO

[This message has been edited by GEOO (edited 01-29-2001).]

boldts
01-29-2001, 08:15 PM
Geoo,
Thanks. I'll see if we get some other Donzi owners at that web site. If the trailer tires are wearing, I would check the axle measurement say from the last cross member. If one measurement is longer than the other measurement that would probably be the reason for the tire wearing. Best guess would be you have a loose axle on one side and it has slid one side backwards.

Scott Boldt

GEOO
01-29-2001, 09:05 PM
Scott (squared),
My same thought.
I called two tire shops and one spring replacement shop to see if they could check the alignment. Everyone says check the alignment but I can't find a shop to do it. I'm not sure how accurate measurements off the frame would be?? It is a torsion spring axle. Any suggestions??? GEOO

Looped
01-29-2001, 09:28 PM
Geoo,
Could the axle be bowed, bearings/bearing housing be shot or maybe you’re hangin’ those on/off ramps a bit too tight at 90 http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif. Ya know, you gotta hang it real high on the outside to keep your momentum going.

Craig

vagrant
01-29-2001, 10:07 PM
ok guys i have some questions ? i have a 1987
donzi with twin 454 motors with through the hull exhaust are these boats welcome to this event? if so i will be traveling from charlotte nc lake norman are there any travel
advisories i should know pulling with 350 crewcab truck and triaxle trailer thanks for your input
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc

boldts
01-30-2001, 05:49 AM
Vagrant,
Check the members list at http://www.geocities.com/boldts you may be able to hook up with Bryan Tuvell coming from Virginia. He has a 22ZX and is planning on making the trip to Cumberland. Also, see my post on the offshore web site. Every Donzi owner is invited... Do I get a ride in the boat? Expiring 18' owner...

Scott Boldt

RickR
01-30-2001, 07:47 AM
GEOO
I always had problems with my single axle trailer for the 18. It may be a toe or camber problem. Stand back 20 or 30 feet from the trailer, you might be able to see it.
If your using bias ply, try some radials.

Vagrant
Lake Cumberland is a Army Corps of Engineers lake. On ACOE lakes in Tennesse we don't have any problems with noise restrictions. And the ramp @ LC State Park had very little break, good for at least a 30 footer.

Your going to have to pull a big hill @ Asheville and Jellico Mountain (TN-KY border).
The circle in Jamestown might be a little tricky, you'll need both lanes.
It's 5 miles to the lodge after you enter the LC State Park. It's a well paved, full width 2 lane but there are lots of curves and no shoulders. Should be very little traffic on it because it dead ends @ the Lodge. They accomidate busses so turn around should be OK.
What Donzi do you have?
Welcome aboard!

------------------
RICKR

[This message has been edited by RickR (edited 01-30-2001).]

roadtrip
01-30-2001, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by vagrant:
ok guys i have some questions ? i have a 1987
donzi with twin 454 motors with through the hull exhaust are these boats welcome to this event? if so i will be traveling from charlotte nc lake norman are there any travel
advisories i should know pulling with 350 crewcab truck and triaxle trailer thanks for your input
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc
Hey Vagrant,
Bring that big twin engine Donzi on over to Cumberland! As for getting into the lake, I just sold off a 32 fountain and had zero problem getting in out of Cumberland State Park with it. I'd love tosee your boat at our event. Todd

RedDog
01-30-2001, 01:02 PM
I've registered and will be there bright and early Friday. The BOSS has even been talking about it and is ready to go - My suggestion to leave the kiddies behind this trip worked wonders! I likely will want to camp, but the Jamestown with close slips sure sounds nice

------------------
Reddog
mailto:tsfloyd@bigfoot.comtsfloyd@bigfoot.com</A>

vagrant
01-30-2001, 05:02 PM
gentlemen
i thank you for the replies to my questions
and look forward to visiting this function
i'm trying to get a slip tied down now and i will probably being passing out in the cuddy
of the boat are there any rules about overnight stay in your boat thanks
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc

Bryan Tuvell
01-30-2001, 05:43 PM
Vagrant, read your posts... I look forward to meeting you. I am coming from Va, I am still nailing down when I am going, we (a bud and me) was planing 5 or 6 days on the water but he may bail on me so I would be leaving Va on wednesday, drive some sleep some and be in early on Friday and in the water playing, depart on Sunday evening..
We plan to take 58 straight across. Have you planned out a route or overall game plan yet?
Bryan

vagrant
01-30-2001, 06:53 PM
hey bryan
i'm still looking at routes to run so far itlooks like going to hwy 40 through ashville
and on through tenn i dont have the map in front of me sorry for not being prepared my
other problem is finding out exactly when i can leave right now its looking like early early friday and returning sunday work is kinda crazy right now so hopefully i can nail
down some plans here soon i'm looking forward to this event it will be interesting to see the different style of boats that will be there i have completely redone this boat the motors are being ran as i type that was the last thing to do on the boat its been a real nightmare it will be interesting to see how people will respond to this thing look forward to the meeting
david
vagrants twins
lake norman nc

boldts
01-30-2001, 08:30 PM
Reddog, Vagrant,
Glad you are planning on making the trip. I received your registration forms today and I will work to update the list tonight before hitting the sack. Had a late arrival at home due to working on the commemorative shirts for the "Awakening". I couldn't get the artist out of the catalogs I supplied for pictures to place on the shirt. He was really hyped about our event. Shouldn't take long to get the proofs since he is working on something he's interested in. Also threw out a bone to the owner of the company to help sponsor the event with promotional items. We'll have to see how that goes. He like anyone else in clothing manufacturing would like to talk to the Donzi Marketing Manager about embroidery and printing of shirts.

Welcome to the Midwest Donzi Club. Can't wait to see your boats and meet you hopefully over a cold one after a wonderful day on the lake.

Scott Boldt

[This message has been edited by boldts (edited 01-31-2001).]

GEOO
01-31-2001, 05:11 PM
Here's a good site of Lake Cumberland. It's named after one of the Party Coves!!
http://www.76falls.com/

GEOO

Tony
02-05-2001, 10:10 PM
Hey, Ohio boys!

You're probably coming down I-75 through Lexington. For me, though, I am just west of Lansing, MI, therefore am closer to I-69 (through Indianapolis) and then I-65 (through Louisville). Any thoughts on which route is better? I could come through Toledo and use I-75, but fear that may be a longer route. I'm sunk when I get south of Louisville, because Jamestown is well east of I-65. Any ideas?

boldts
02-06-2001, 05:26 AM
Tony,
I would have to trust MapQuest on that one. I-65 eventually runs into the Cumberland Parkway, but it looks like there is a pretty big triangle there that could shorten the trip if you knew a good road to get over to the Pkwy with-out waiting for I-65 to intersect with it. You might also try giving the Jamestown Resort or State Park a call. They have been telling folks how to get there much longer than I have and they can send you maps to boot.

On the saving time by staying at the Jamestown Resort, the answer is yes. I've been told that the road leading to the State Park is long and winedy. I've been told that the State Park has a more convient launch ramp, but the lodge is at the top of a hill and is quite the hike. There are pluses and minius about both sites. We have a meeting room on the dock in front of the Jamestown Marina so this is probably where most of the congragating with other Donzi owners will occur. The State Park is a short boat ride across the channel. Sorry, guess I'm not being much help here... I can see wanting to make the trip as short as possible after a 10 hr. drive. I know I will be wanting to get out of the truck and my drive is 6hrs.
Could you hook up with the IN contingent?

Looking forward to seeing you;
Scott Boldt

[This message has been edited by boldts (edited 02-06-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
02-08-2001, 05:34 AM
Scott, just to let you know it looks like my two buddies intend to bring their boats too, hope you guys don't mind since they are not donzi's, 99 Stingray 230SX 502 and a 99 Scarrab 23 with 454. They are almost as pumped as me! So it sounds like a convoy coming out of VA. We plan to Arrive early Thursday if not Wednesday and leave Sunday night maybe Monday. The stingray has family on the lake so we are making this trip a mini vacation.
IS MAY HERE YET????
Bryan

boldts
02-08-2001, 11:32 PM
Bryan,
Our gathering has not rented the lake, just a place to hold the gathering. If anyone has friends who wish to come to Lake Cumberland the same weekend that our Donzi Club is holding a gathering, in my opinion, the more the merrier. Their is a group of performance boaters from Grinder Hill Marina that are also planning on checking our Donzi's out. I also know of a 26' American Offshore cat coming from Cincinnati, OH. Should be a great radar speed run-off at the dam on Saturday afternoon. Went to our Columbus Sports and Travel Show tonight. Really disappointed for the most part. Our local Donzi dealer brought one boat to the show. It was a 33ZX Daytona Poker Run Edition. Beautiful boat, but their isn't a lake big enough to run that type of boat until you go North to Lake Erie or South to the Ohio River. This same dealer is selling Checkmates and another companies cat type boat. The cat did have a Bravo with a Imco bottom. Looked like a terrific way to raise that X dimension. I asked if I could display a few fliers about AOTH and was told to bring them to the dealership. I'll do that, but I really wanted people who had bought a Donzi in the Columbus area to see the fliers. I was real surprised that a Donzi dealer would take such little interest in a group that is trying to help promote Donzi boats by holding get togethers. Oh well, I wished him good sales during the show and checked out the other performance boats that were at the show. I guess we'll have to continue to watch this event grow through word of mouth and our own promoting avenues.

Spring showed it's face in Columbus today and looks like it may be back again tomorrow. 61 degrees here today. I hope mother nature isn't just tempting us. We're 91 days away and counting down to May 11th. My Donzi goes in for a little hull repair before AOTH next Friday. Wish I could do the complete restoration, but not this year.

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
02-09-2001, 01:52 AM
Thanks Scott, I feel the same way, the more the merrier! I knew my buds would be welcomed with open arms... hell afterwards they may trade their boats for a Donzi!
I am fealing a tad bit of spring (60's)only because I am in southern Europe this week. Home tomorrow.
I should get my ZX back Monday I hope. Thanks again for all the work your doing to help this event get coordinated, it sounds like it will be a fantastic time!
Bryan

Tony
02-09-2001, 11:24 AM
Scott,

I signed up to stay at the Jamestown Resort, so we're getting closer to securing the "party room". I figured that any little bit closer to the north is a help after a long drive. Plus it sounds like a pretty nice marina and a pretty spacious room.

Frieda suggested leaving I-65 at Elizabeth Town, south of Louisville, and taking 210 and 55 down to Columbia. This cuts off the corner and she says they are good roads with few lights or stops. This may help anyone coming from the Chicago or Indiana areas. Can't wait!

Bryan Tuvell
02-09-2001, 11:47 AM
GEOO, thanks for the cool link on the falls!

Vagrant, what is up haven't heard from you in a bit. What do you estimate your drive time wil be?
As you can see in my earlier posts we are leaving earlier in the week than you. I will email you my cell number in case you have last minute driving questions, no sense in not learning from my mistakes, I consider myself "directionally challenged on new highways!"
I look forward to meeting you and all the others at this event!
Bryan
PS Scott keep up the great work!

GEOO
02-10-2001, 03:56 PM
Scott,
I found 76 Falls on a map.
I'm knocking off my punch list on the boat getting ready for Lake Cumberland.
Friday, I received my new carpet from R & R Textiles. It is better then I imagined.
Finished the installation of a second automatic bilge pump.
Tighten up some wiring.
Fasten the rear seat with a bungy cord down through the battery catch.
New Battery, old one was working but 5 years old?? I'll keep it as a spare.
I'll drop the engine in a week or so.
Now all I need is new tires for the trailer. GEOO

boldts
02-27-2001, 06:42 PM
Just a reminder.....

WERE ONLY 73 DAYS AWAY from an event called the "Awakening of the Horses". It's sure to become a CLASSIC amongst Donzi owners. Can't wait to meet everyone at Lake Cumberland.

Scott

Bryan Tuvell
02-28-2001, 05:28 PM
Scott, I plan to do some surfing tomorrow on KY weather for that time of year. On our TV station site we have a weather predictor that is good for a year in advance, it's reliability is in the high 70 percentile area, not bad actually especially when trying to plan.
So who knows the NORMAL temp for Cumberland for that time of year?
Bryan
PS My bud says he's going, so all is well!

boldts
02-28-2001, 07:00 PM
Alright everyone. I've added Lake Cumberland weather to the Midwest Donzi Club home page. Now you can watch the weather warm up at the lake. You can also get an outlook for the future. Enjoy http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

www.mwdonziclub.com (http://www.mwdonziclub.com)

Scott

[This message has been edited by boldts (edited 02-28-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
02-28-2001, 08:46 PM
Mr Boldts, You Are The MAN! LOL
Thanks Scott, I will check it out tomorrow!
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
03-02-2001, 09:17 PM
HEY GEOO, I was just rereading some of the posts about the AOTH, so tell us how the boat is doing?
R/Bryan

GEOO
03-03-2001, 12:24 PM
Bryan,
Engine is all set. Waiting for some warmer weather to drop it in the boat.
Installed new tires on trailer today.
New carpet is installed.
Hopefully I'll have the engine in next week then start some testing with my reworked prop. GEOO

Bryan Tuvell
03-03-2001, 05:34 PM
GEOO, sounds great, be sure and keep us all posted, I am sure I was not the only one wondering!
May is coming fast, I will work on a map/route and plan this week and then I will be all set to go for the AOTH.
Thanks Scott for the map link of Cumberland!
Bandit gave me some specific gouge on the area. And since we will be there mid week invited us to drop in! You can bet I will!
Our weather in VA is still cold, it should break and begin to rise in a couple more weeks.
Talk to you later. Bryan

GEOO
03-04-2001, 08:19 PM
Bryan,

I inspected the trailer bearings last night. They looked a little worn. I picked up two new sets of bearings,(will install them tomorrow) and an extra hub for the trip. I was planning on installing the engine this week but now the forecast is for 1-3 feet of snow in the next 48 to 60 hours http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif .
GEOO

boldts
03-04-2001, 08:39 PM
Yeah, looks like the East coast is really going to get hammered the next couple days. Were expecting a couple inches here in OH, but nothing like what the coast is going to get. Bundle up, if possible, sit in your Donzi tomorrow morning and hopefully this will be it for the winter of 2000 - 2001. Things can only get better has May arrives and we all prepare for The Awakening of the Horses.

Bryan Tuvell
03-05-2001, 09:12 AM
GEOO, sounds great, I am not to knowledgable on trailers, mine is a '99 EZ Loader, it was used once in '99 and in 2000 it was used about a total mileage of about 200 miles. At winterization this year the guy said he greased the bearings but I am pretty sure that is completely different than repacking. I always sink both wheels in the water, mine loads and unloads best that way.
Friends here said I should be fine but obviously I would like to hear thoughts from you and the guys.
Do you recommend I have the bearings repacked prior to the trip to KY? What would I expect to pay for this on a twin axel trailer?

FOR SCOTT B, so we will use the Jamestown Marina party room on Saturday right. I am going to reserve a room for that night as we discussed, that way I can have some cold ones http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif and not have to tow back to Buck Creek.

Thanks,,,, Bryan

boldts
03-05-2001, 05:11 PM
That's the plan as of now. The room is ours for the weekend and since beer is OK as long as we are not walking around with open containers, plans are to bring a keg with me for everyone to help empty. Rick Ryan said he could bring a tap and if everyone helps out with a bag of ice, we should be up late telling our favorite boat stories and enjoying a few cold ones. Plans are also to buy some refreshments for those who wish not to drink alcohol. I'm not sure if a keg will last both Friday and Saturday nights, so if you have any doubts, bring refreshments with you. Let me tell you though, I want to take the keg home empty.

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
03-05-2001, 08:16 PM
Scott, sounds great, I will call the marina tomorrow then.

Hey, I was sure hoping for an opinion from all you tow pro guys on my comment on my trailer bearings! I hate to spend money unwarranted, but if they need greased or repacked or replaced I will, can you tell I am clueless on this one!

Thanks. Bryan

GEOO
03-05-2001, 08:28 PM
Bryan,
On a long trip, grease your wheel bearings every time you stop for gas or food. Always care a spare tire and spare Hub kit. Most marine supply stores sell hub kits. Make sure you purchase the correct size. The kit includes pre-assembled bearing seats, bearings, cotter pin, lug nuts ect.. and already to install if needed. It costs about $ 40.00. GEOO

Bryan Tuvell
03-05-2001, 09:02 PM
GEOO, thanks, I will take the advice.

Mr. MadPoodle (Scott)! Damn that cooler is bigger than mine, why do you think I want a room on that Saturday night vice an hour tow!
But instead of beer it sounds like your hauling a 12 pack of Buddy Bearings in that thing! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif
I am the anal one, I think to be safe I will just have them changed and have a spare and never blink an eye. Guess on cost for 4 new???? I had to ask for a reason, and that reason was I need data, I am on a deserted island with people who only fish in their boats!!
Thanks to you both, KY is going to be a blast!

I can't wait to see Scott Boldts TUBE behind my boat! A Kodak moment!
Thanks again... Bryan

BigGrizzly
03-05-2001, 09:43 PM
Sorry Geoo. If you have breaks ,with that 22 you better, and you grease them every stop you will never have to worry about rust or breaks either. use bearing buddies and monitor them. Like M.P i to havn't had any trouble. carry a spear bearing set and a grease gun as well as a tire.

Randy

boldts
03-05-2001, 10:03 PM
Hey, I'm all for a good time, but tubing behind a 70 MPH Donzi? I'd like to be able to put a couple beers down not the other way around! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

On the trailer bearings, I repack mine every year and before a long trip, I make sure the bearing buddies are full. (You should put grease in until the center part with the grease nipple starts to move towards you. You have to watch not to over fill or you can blow the rear seals out.) I do not tow as often as Madpoodle, but have traveled to Eastern PA, NC, Upper OH and MI. I've never had a bearing failure on any of these trips.

Really looking forward to a wonderful weekend with all of you. Just don't put me in a tube behind Geoo's Hot Rod. Remember, we're working on possibly videoing? the event. I'd like to stay off the World's Funniest Home Videos Show.

Scott Boldt

BigGrizzly
03-05-2001, 10:12 PM
Don't worry Scott you can tube behind my Criterion, it doesn't do 70.

Randy

roadtrip
03-05-2001, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by GEOO:
Bryan,
On a long trip, grease your wheel bearings every time you stop for gas or food. Always care a spare tire and spare Hub kit. Most marine supply stores sell hub kits. Make sure you purchase the correct size. The kit includes pre-assembled bearing seats, bearings, cotter pin, lug nuts ect.. and already to install if needed. It costs about $ 40.00. GEOO
Hey Bryan,
Roadtrip says always carry a spare tire and the tools to change it. Stuff on the road has claimed my sanity more than once. I won't discount bearing buddies, but they are fairly easy to maintain and check. Try finding a tire in the middle of the night when you need it most. Coming from VA, make the investment.
Hey Scott,
I have done about 52 on a tube ten years ago. Not something I would want to repeat. Although 52 behind Geeo's arenson would make for some really interesting video. I'd do it for the cause. On the topic of keg, I imagine it will be very dry on the trip back to Columbus.
Hey everybody,
The confirmation list for this event is really shaping up be a who's who of the more interesting characters on this board. Should be a very memorable event. Always room for more... Too many days to May, Todd

Bryan Tuvell
03-06-2001, 05:38 AM
I always chuckle reading these posts! I am sure I qualify as a "character!"

I will get a spare tire too, I have a 2 ton hydraulic jack, I guess it would work, thanks for the advice.
Most of the bearing stuff is over my non mechanical head so I think I will spend some bucks on piece of mind and get them checked/replaced or whatever is recommended by my guy who does work for me.
Better safe than sorry...
As far as tubing goes, 20MPH is the limit for me, it is easy to take a beating!

Today is a snow day for me so more later.
Thanks to all, Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
03-06-2001, 09:36 AM
Ok, you gotta love the small town life on the Eastern Shore, the local "trailer parts" guy gave me bearing 101 for an hour this morning, hands on training (we drink beer at 8am in the sticks).

option 1 I do all the work, new bearings/seals and Buddy Bearing II's with grease, parts $108.

Option 2, Steve at the only trailer shop do the work, replace existing seals, repack, and certify me by a hand shake I am good to go for $90, 2 hours labor.

I am taking option 2, for piece of mind! Got a spare tire and rim that matches what I have. It doesn't pay to take a snow day!

Oh, did I mention the matching red bow/stern lines I ran accross? Of course I had to have them, maybe it will snow tomorrow too!

Thanks you guys for the advice. Bryan

boldts
03-06-2001, 01:05 PM
I spoke to Freida today and the meeting room on the dock in front of the marina is covered with no charge to the club. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Just a reminder for anyone who has not made your reservations yet. There are many options as to places to stay in the area. If you can not get a room at the Jamestown State Park Lodge or the Jamestown Resort Lodge. Check with David Hicks who lives on the lake or the websites listed on the Awakening page of the Midwest Donzi Club's website. You can find David's e-mail address under the Members page. www.mwdonziclub.com (http://www.mwdonziclub.com)

Were at 66 days until we awaken the horses.

Scott Boldt

MikeMiller
03-06-2001, 11:06 PM
I was just scanning through and noticed all of the tremendous excitement for AOTH!! I will be there in strong fashion with as much Donzi stuff as I can get on the plane!

But... one problem.... no boat! Anybody help out a stranded Donzi lover? (maybe even for a key chain?)

Mike Miller
Director of Marketing
Donzi Marine

boldts
03-06-2001, 11:34 PM
Mr. Miller, (Mike)
I don't think you will have to worry about not having a Donzi boat with you. It's a little tuff to fit that on the plane. I'm sure anyone of the folks attending the event would be proud to have you as a passenger and if not, you are welcome to ride with my wife and I. There is a Donzi dealer in the Cincinnati, OH area. Maybe a note or call to them about attending the Awakening and bringing a Donzi along to enjoy the weekend with us? By the way, you never told me which shirt you would like and your shirt size. It's the least I can do for you. I am planning on leaving May 11th early with the rest of the Ohio gang and Geoo who is coming from in-laws home in Northern OH. We hope to arrive at Lake Cumberland around noon. Since you said you are flying in, let me know if I can help by picking you up at the airport on our way to the lake. (Can you picture a Donzi caravan with video camera rolling picking you up at the airport?) http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thank-you for all your help.

Sincerely;
Scott Boldt

GEOO
03-07-2001, 07:08 AM
Mike, I'm flying solo, you're more then welcome to sit shotgun. GEOO

MikeMiller
03-07-2001, 07:52 AM
SHOTGUN????? We'll see about that!

Mike Miller

RickR
03-07-2001, 03:37 PM
Bryan
If you have torsion axles a jack is unneccessary for a tandem. You'll just need a small piece of 2X6.

Scott Bolts please remind me about the tap http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

What a turnout! This is gonna be FUN!!!

------------------
RICKR

Bryan Tuvell
03-07-2001, 04:51 PM
RICKR, man I guess I know even less than I already know I do! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif So what would I do with this piece of 2x6 if I had a blow out?
I have a small portable mini floor jack, I will take it, hell it is better than what I would have to use on the Jeep too.
Anyway, do tell, I love to learn.

Yep, it sounds like this event will be something, I am ready! Great guys, great boats and great beer (BuddddWWWWiSSSEEEERRR!)
Hopefully sunshine, but I will come rain or shine!

Also Rick, don't for get the tap! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

Bryan

boldts
03-07-2001, 05:13 PM
Rick,
I've put it on my to do list. I have taken the week off before the Awakening just in case there are some last minute things that need to be done. My dad and I are working on a way to get a little more trim for the Donzi that will allow the reverse lock out to also work. I used washers on the trim bar to move it out, but no reverse lock with this set-up. Got to get her back from the fiberglass shop first. Should see her again in a couple weeks.

We're 65 days away and it's 46 degrees at Cumberland today. Man 4 pages. You guys are tremendous. For those of you who have sent in an order for shirts, I am placing the order this week and you should have them in your hands in the next couple weeks. Thanks for the orders!

Scott Boldt

Bandit
03-07-2001, 05:46 PM
This is going to be a great time!

Since I'm at ground zero, just let me know if anybody has questions concerning lodging, etc. Just email me.

I'll be heading out Fri. on my houseboat with the donzi in tow with a big smile on my face knowing the Midwest Donzi Club is on its way for a great weekend.

------------------
Bandit...

RickR
03-08-2001, 07:09 AM
Bandit
Houseboat! How many coolers and women will it hold. Your gonna have to abandon ship because of the Hen Party http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

Bryan
You drive the good tire on the 2x6 then either raise or lower the trailer jack to get the flat tire off the ground. Works great with independent axles but might not work with leaf springs that have a common pivot.

------------------
RICKR

Bandit
03-08-2001, 11:20 AM
Rick,

It's a small houseboat but I've got plenty of room for women and beer...or is it suppose to be beer and women?

Anyways, I should have it loaded down with both!!!

------------------
Bandit...

GEOO
03-10-2001, 06:58 AM
Bandit,

Tell me more about the Houseboat!! Size, rental? cost, from where? GEOO

Bandit
03-10-2001, 07:43 AM
It's my own houseboat, not a rental, 45' Nautiline.

I'll be leaving out sometime Friday from the other end of the lake, Somerset Boat Club in Pitman Creek, and I plan on getting settled in at Jamestown before dark.

I'm going to try to get a couple slips close to the action, which shouldn't be a problem at that time of year.

Has Freida at Jamestown designated an area in the marina for the Club so we're not all scatter out?

------------------
Bandit...

Bryan Tuvell
03-10-2001, 09:48 AM
Hey Bandit!
We plan to take you up on that offer to pop in, we are leaving early Wednesday and should get in late that night, we will do a run Thursday and we will hang a right up Pittman, if that sharp red Donzi is out we will find you. Any advice on Pittman creek???
Question, somewhere on here a comment was made about the marina gas not being to good on the lake, I was just curious of your thoughts on that!
Bryan

Bandit
03-10-2001, 11:16 AM
Bryan,

I should be down on my dock working to get things ready for the trip, so stop on by. Pitman Creek is deep and you shouldn't have any problems except 1/2 way up around the bridge. They are working on the hwy 27 bridge (making it 4-lane), so you'll have an idle area and stay within the markers.

I laughed when I saw the post concerning bad gas. Sure, you can get bad gas anywhere and Cumberland is no exception but that doesn't mean there's piranas in Cumberland's waters (actually there's been a couple caught over the years).

My dock only offers 89 oct. and most all docks offer 87-89. I think Jamestown or the State Dock even offer 92.

As with the gas prices on all waterways, it's higher than at the local convenient store. The prices per gallon on Cumberland will average around $2.00 - $2.25 gallon, therefore, I always fill up prior to launching. Jamestown Marina usually has the highest gas prices on the lake.

Scott has a link to 76 falls.com on the Midwest Donzi webstite and I believe it has an average price per gallon survey.

------------------
Bandit...

Bryan Tuvell
03-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Sounds great, I will see you then. Thanks for the tip on the creek too.

I went back and read your post about distances from Buck etc. We make some pretty long hauls here on the shore so Thursday we will probably launch from Buck and come your way!
Thanks again.
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
03-13-2001, 04:44 PM
I saw the spring is near post! We hit 80 today, I intend to turn the key this weekend once I am sure of no more below freezing weather!

Scott B, give us an update on the boat, she was due home today from the fiberglass shop, so I read! I await to hear!!!

We are locked in and tracking on may 8th, see you the Thursday before Bandit!

This is going to be a blast, I look forward to meeting everyone in KY.
Bryan

Dr. Dan
03-13-2001, 08:35 PM
Scott, My schedule was confirmed today and I will not be able to attend your stellar event, I am bummed, but I can't get out of this! I've tried... but,I did order some of the "way stylin Donzi wear" and I will wear them with pride in my travels around the country. Next year I will be able to plan in advance, I will be at Lake George & quite possibly Lake Lanier,later this year. If I get your way, I'll definitely look you up!...Doc

boldts
03-13-2001, 10:49 PM
Doc,
I'm sorry you won't be able to make the Awakening. I sent you a note. Maybe a Raystown meeting? I'm going to try and get your shirt order in with the order I placed Friday. I'll let you know if I was able to squeeze it in.

Bryan,
Yes, I picked the boat up today and the fixes should get her through the summer until I can do a complete restoration next winter. The boat is still not home though. I took her straight to my dad's shop to see if we can come up with a little more trim by moving the bar that sets my trim out about 3/16 of an inch. It's amazing what 3/16" does for the attitude and ride. (No power trim. Which ever hole you put the bar in is the trim you use.) She'll be ready for AOTH cause I took the week before off of work to make sure she's ready.

Scott Boldt

Bryan Tuvell
03-14-2001, 06:49 AM
Scott, glad to hear she is back in your hands. If you get ready early come a day early!

The trim issue is very interesting, I know little about how some of the older classics were set up, I look forward to seeing and learning more. What year did power trim become standard in Classics?

Bryan

RickR
03-14-2001, 08:36 AM
boldts
How about starting a new thread like "Awakening of the Horses II"
Out here in the sticks is is taking me too long to download the AOTH thread.

------------------
RICKR

Bryan Tuvell
03-22-2001, 08:26 PM
RICK R; Did the 22ZX on the for sale page ever sell? She was a sweet piece.

Bryan