PDA

View Full Version : paint or sand paper???

G - FORCE 88
06-11-2002, 10:50 PM
the stripe on my boat is a bit faded would wet-sanding be a good option or would a paint job do it better. The stripe is still original from factory would like to keep it that way as long as i can.>>>>>>>jon :D

Rootsy
06-12-2002, 07:23 AM
just how oxidized is the gel? post a photo if you can and i am sure a few people can give you the best course of action. a good buffer and quality wool and foam pads, some compound, polish and a healthy dose of elbow grease may do it wonders... followed by 2 or so coats of GOOD wax or what not with excellent UV inhibitors...

Fish boy
06-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Jon, I think you will be very surprised with the results you will get from wet sanding. I bought an all red 18 clasic about 10 years ago. It was in a repo lot for about a year and the deck was a pinkish-white chalky mess. I gave wet sanding a shot and could not beleive how much paint there was to work with. THe end result was about a week and a half worth of work and I got a finish that looked like wet nail-polish. Even if wet sanding does not work out for you, what do you loose? you end up wih a surface that is prepped for painting- your other alternative. good luck. Jody