PDA

View Full Version : need speed upgrade help!

33 Daytona
03-27-2002, 12:17 PM
ok, I have been going thought alot of the performance posts and some of you guys know alot about the technical side of making a boat go fast! I DONT! I have a 28zx 454mag with a whipple 6lbs of boost. It goes mid 70's on the speedo. But my question to you all is how can I make it go faster (low 80's) I don't want to increase the boost. Headers?, 2" shorter lower unit to raise the x dimention?, nose cone?, new ingnition box? (would that even help at all?) or anything else that you have tried and worked. I would like to run in the Bud Shootout at the end of August at Lake of the Ozarks and make a good Donzi showing. Any suggestions would help!

Thanks!

GEOO
03-27-2002, 04:27 PM
My guess is you have about 525-550hp. If you help the engine breath better you will build more hp. You get the engine to breath better with cam, head work, exhaust ect. Most likely your boost will drop a few pounds. The engine will build about the same power until you increase the pully size to bring the boost pressure back up to 6lbs.
Try and call Dustin from Whipple he would be a good souce for engine mods and potential hp gains.

Ted may be able to help with the drive height.

When is the radar shoot out? Have you gone before?
Were is it? eek! HUM GEOO

BigGrizzly
03-27-2002, 08:16 PM
If you put on a Imco shortie it wil have a low water pickup and a nose cone built in. As for hedders I would go Stainless Marine GenerationV or CMI elbow tops. Both of these make only a little less HP than full tube hedders, on the dyno with a blower motor. If you do the heads and a decent cam your boost will drop but the Hp will increase. I guess 675->700 HP to do the 80mph gig with a shortie on that boat.

Randy

33 Daytona
03-28-2002, 07:55 AM
This is great! Thanks guys. Whipple says my engine with 6lbs of boost put out 593 hp @ 5300 rpm.

I didn't realize the boost would drop with headers. I'm glad I asked. My local mechanic has an IMCO lowere unit already so maybe I'll have him put it on and try it out.

The Shoot-out is Aug. 23-25. Powerboat mag is sponsoring it this year. I have never gone down for it but I hear the run is 1 mile long and boats line the whole thing. Here is a link to the web site check out some of the speeds! http://live.lakeshootout.com/

33 Daytona
03-28-2002, 09:22 AM
I sorry for my lack of knowledge but what exactly is "cam work" and how much should it cost?

Will my Whipple computer need to be reprogramed with all this work?

Thanks Again!
Kelly

Kent Perroux
03-28-2002, 09:31 AM
Imco Shorty
Imco Extension Box
Scrap Refrig, Toilet, etc..
580ci

That should do it