PDA

View Full Version : to PAINT or NOT to PAINT???

Don Carone
07-02-2003, 02:37 PM
While Im at it (see next topic) I am redoing a 64?16' 351/volvo 270
are these gelcoated or painted and what do I want to do to it paint I can do myself or have it gelcoated and if paint what method?
THANK YOU

DOND
07-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Hi Don, I remember your boat very well. I almost bought it before you did.Your boat was repainted
with some form of urethane.
I did by a 69 16 and am just about done with the process. Mine was original gelcoat in very poor condition. I decided to do a regel on the deck and cockpit areas. The Boat Doc's in Fox Lake did the spraying and I did the sanding and buffing. The boat is there right now for a respray of some light areas.If you are in the area stop by and take a look. Leon is the guys name and I think he does fine work. He has been doing this for 25 years and has worked on many differnt boats including Donzis.If I can be of any help let me know.
Don

oldLenny
07-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Yours is gel-coated (was)...50 % of the people here will say paint it, 50% will say re-gel it. Do a search under paint versus gel. There are a mountain of threads on it already. Scott Pearson is the fella to talk to about the paint deal, and Jamesbon has recently done a gel job...

» Today's Active Topics «
» Hello, Lenny [ log out ] The Donzi Registry » Search Results

Displaying Topics 1 - 5 (5 total) You searched for keywords: 'paint vs gel' New Search
Topic Date Forum

Gel vs. Paint 16-10-2002 Donzi Performance Talk

gel coat/paint code question 16-06-2002 Donzi Performance Talk

Paint or not? 23-10-2000 Donzi Performance Talk

Imron system 5000 paint on bottom? 06-09-2000 Donzi Performance Talk

Paint vs Original Gel Coat 28-04-2000 Donzi Performance Talk

UBB.classicTM 6.5.0

Don Carone
07-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Don
is that the place next to Mcdonalds on Rand?
how long will it be there Id love to see it
Don

Don Carone
07-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Don
is that the place next to Mcdonalds on Rand?
how long will it be there Id love to see it
Don

knee deep
07-02-2003, 07:28 PM
After soliciting 583 opinions on paint versus gel-coat I re-gelled my boat. I put the first three coats on myself. I got nervous and had the pro's come in and complete it, the boat is beyond belief. As much of a pain as it was it really was not that bad and real easy to do for a first timer. It turned out that the solution to my one error was exactly what I thought. It really is pretty easy and you can do it yourself. I would not hesitate to do it again. I did cheat and painted the deck and liner, but..........Mini Kraft of Florida has a great web-site and you can get the original colors for the year of your boat. I had my local glass supplier make mine up because of the wholesale discount i receive....
Its actually much cheaper than paint

Donzigo
07-02-2003, 08:02 PM
I've used MINCRASFT out of Lakeland, Great people. They know what they are doing.

DOND
07-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Hi Don,
Yes it is the place on rand I forget if it is a Mcdonalds or a Burger King. He is on the west side of the street.It is a bluish-grey pole building.There is a small mobile trailer outside.
It should be there another week or so. Tell Leon you spoke with me.If you want to call me that would be ok.
Don Dorsch 815-385-5894 home
847-657-4724 work

I will be at Lake Geneva for the weekend.
Don