PDA

View Full Version : No Longer A Wannabe

Danny
12-12-2000, 04:43 PM
On Friday in the midst of a snow storm we completed the deal and picked up a 1967 16' C16-400. People sure give you some strange looks driving around with a boat in Ontario this time of the year even if it is a Donzi. The boat is in good condition, needs TLC.
Pictures to follow.
Len I can empathise with your dilema, I have been looking for almost 4 years, can't believe I found a boat 30 miles from home, private deal no GST, no duty, no exchange, no delivery. I couldn't live with the Donzi shortage on the north west coast.
Where is the best place to get new decals and can some give me an example of the correct decal configuration for this boat. It also has the chrome Donzi Marine emblems on the hullsides.
Danny

PaulO
12-12-2000, 05:03 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your purchase. Where will you be boating? What are the rest of the specs on the boat?
PaulO

boldts
12-12-2000, 06:09 PM
Danny,
Congratulations on your new purchase. If you check the registry pictures for your year boat, you should be able to see the decal configuration for your boat. Also, you may find the decals being remade in the "Wanted" or "For Sale" boards of this web-site.

Welcome to the Donzi family!

Kong
12-12-2000, 06:34 PM
Hey Danny - I just got back from Toledo where I closed a deal on 16387. Generally good shape w/289 - Red w/white stripe - Volvo drive. I'll try to get pictures in the posts. Congratulations.

BERTRAM BOY
12-12-2000, 07:06 PM
Danny,
Congtrats on your new money pit, uh... I mean treasure.
Richard Weaver is the one to talk to about the decals and Donzi Marine scipt. his number is (207)636-2133. Good luck with the new boat.
BERTRAM BOY

BigGrizzly
12-12-2000, 07:07 PM
Danny My first Donzi is a 16 with a 289 now a 302, my sieter stil has it, is a great boat I hop you have the same fun I did. They were and are the best boats in their and anyone elses class. Good luck and may the seas be fum always.

Tony
12-12-2000, 07:16 PM
Danny,
Your hull # is only 20 away from my '67 16',hull # 16420. Here is a link (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=198) to it, where you can look at the decal configuration. What engine and outdrive do you have? How is the interior and instrumentation, and what color is it? Post pictures a.s.a.p., and congratulations!

Richard
12-12-2000, 08:06 PM
Danny,
Again congratulations on your boat, your hooked but you have plenty of company. Now the long wait 'till spring.
You can see the original decal layout on some of the registered boats. US, Brit's, and DONZI. We have them all made up. You can e-mail me from this post or call me.
I know what you mean about the looks, we hauled one up from N.Y. last February in a snow storm.
Have fun. Richard.

green16
12-12-2000, 10:38 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I bought my stickers from Richard Weaver and am very happy with how they look. They will go on after she is re gel coated. John

Danny
12-13-2000, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info on the decals my next email is to Richard Weaver to get those ordered.
Paulo, we have a island on Georgian Bay/Lake Huron and the Donzi will supplement the exsisting fleet, great cottage boat.
It has the original 302 Ford Interceptor that was completely rebuilt 4 years ago and the then has sat for the last 2-3 years, it was properly stored and winterized then, but we pulled the spark plugs and re oiled it again, turned over ok and the trim and everything else worked but couldn't see starting it to rewinterize again( don't leave the heat on out there all winter).Still has the original 270T Volvo drive with trim that works.
Tony the boat originally was the same colour configuration as yours, but has been painted, fortunately the same colour but changed the bottom colour to white with a white hullside strip.
The plan is to polish and tune it up and run it next summer and then deck off and replace the gas tank(hope to get one more season out of it) and replace some soft backing under the wraparound seat next winter.
Great boat, great project and yes I am already anxious to get it in the water.
Surpising how many new owners of late 60s Donzis there have been on the site in the last few weeks.
Thanks again
Danny

Tony
12-13-2000, 10:00 PM
Danny,
Where is Midland, Ontorio? If I went to Lake George, NY, for the Spring Dust-Off through Niagra Falls...could I return to Michigan across the top side of the Georgian Bay and through Sault Ste. Marie and the upper Peninsula? Maybe if I planned it right I could stop at several fellow Donzi owners along this route, and explore lots of beautiful new waters with people experienced and familiar with the areas. Could be a concept...what a road trip that would be!

boxy
12-14-2000, 08:37 AM
Tony, that sounds like a great trip. If you make it, let me know, I'll show you the 1000 Islands. One word of caution though, if you are going to go through Niagara Falls, make sure everything is strapped down tight, it's one hell of a ride. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif.

http://www.niagara.com/city.niagara-falls/images/dayhome.jpg

------------------
boxy
mailto:sboxma@sprint.casboxma@sprint.ca</A>
Smuggler's Cove
1000 Islands
Ontario

[This message has been edited by boxy (edited 12-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by boxy (edited 12-14-2000).]

Danny
12-14-2000, 11:07 AM
Tony
When I first heard about the Dust Off at Lake George it crossed my mind to try and boat all the way there and we still may try it some year. We can get from Georgian Bay through the Trent Severn Waterways to Kingston and from there to the St Lawerence River and I know I can connect from there to Lake Champlain and then South to Lake George.
Long ride in a 16, but it certainly would be an adventure. When I first read your post I though you were contemplating boating all the way there and I thought there is a man who is as crazy as I am. But after rereading it I'll assume you are trailering.
If I were driving to or from Lake George by land I would probably cross into Ontario at Cornwall on the St Lawerence between Kingston and Montreal, but you can most certainly come by Niagara Falls.
Midland is right at the southern end of Georgian Bay, about 70 miles north of Toronto,6 and 4 lane highways virtually all the way to Midland from Niagara Falls. You can drive right along the eastern shore of Georgian Bay and the North Channel to get to Sault St. Marie and then cross back into Michigan. You can access Georgian Bay from literally 100s of points along the way. Some big open water and everything from wilderness to some pretty busy waterfront communities.
We are planning to go to the Dust Off in the summer of 2002, My boat will be up and running next summer but not ready to take to that type of outing, if you know what I mean.
If you are planning a trip that comes close to us by all means keep in touch, we'd be glad to show you around and point out the highlights and the pitfalls (shoals) to avoid.
We did a trip a couple of years ago and brought a boat from St. Catherines (close to Niagara Falls) down lake Erie to Detroit, up the river to Lake St.Clair and on to Lake Huron and then up to Tobermory (the top of the penninsula between Lake Huron and GB) and then down to Midland. Fabulous trip. Lots to see and do on Georgian Bay.
Keep me posted, when is the Dust Off, I know I should know this. Hopefully see you this summer.
There is a Richardson chart book that shows good detail for the Great Lakes but there is nothing better than a local guide. There are a few members in Toronto and this area as well.

Danny

Maybe cross paths with Boxy as well.

Tony
12-14-2000, 12:30 PM
Danny,
Thanks for the trip information. Yes, we would be trailering...Lake George, 1000 Islands, Georgian Bay, North Channel, Les Cheneaux Islands, Torch Lake, and home. WOW...sounds awesome to me...now to talk my wife into it!
My parents have done two seperate legs of the Trent Severn Waterway, and loved it! It is apparently a Canadian Historic Waterway, meaning that all the locks (dozens and dozens of them) are operated as they were when constructed. My dad was continually amazed at the technology employed by these engineers of long ago.

Boxy,
Great shot of Niagra Falls, my son and I passed through there last summer on our way to Woodward Camp in Pennsylvania. It would be way cool to superimpose a picture of a Donzi into a shot of the falls...but that's asking a bit too much for my computer skills.

I'm ticked off, we're on our third snow day in a row (no school) and we have to make them up in June after the first two. Winter hasn't even started yet! I hope I'm out of school in time for the Dust-Off...

Danny
12-14-2000, 01:27 PM
Tony
Over 40 different locks including hydraulic lift locks,marine railways and your right some of the original manual locks.
Tuesday was a snow day here, thank goodness we don't have to make them up. If we get down to a Wolverines' basketball game we'll look you up, you appear to be real close to Lansing.
Danny

Tony
12-14-2000, 06:15 PM
Danny,
Yes, I am very close to Lansing...about 20 miles. Wouldn't you rather go to a Spartan basketball game than a Wolverine game? Of course the U-M ticket would be much easier to get, since they only fill about half their arena each game. Or, better yet, come down for the MSU vs.U-M game. Last year we beat them by 51, this year it may be even worse! GO STATE!