PDA

View Full Version : tricking out my 502.

fasttrucker
06-11-2002, 03:50 PM
talked to master mech.,tony he says 0n my 502 that i should add headers, the way my motor is set up i could keep my silent choice,add a more eff. air intake/cleaner.then reprogram the computer,he said merc marine sets up their engines to run lean.dont want to burn it up.he said stay away from superchargers/prochargers.anyone know if this is a good way to spend $3500.? eek!

Dr. Dan
06-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Fast, I am getting the impression your monicker may be accurate, I don't know how many boats you have had,or how much your annual boat budget is or will be, but I would offer this friendly advice! :D Slow down and give your toy a chance, you may find that it, will have it's own ideas as to what you will be spending money on! eek! If you have the nicest most hopped up 28zx on the Bay, there will always be someone faster, always!!!! I would do more research, take time to browse previous posts, ask questions of others this summer, of folks you meet who may have already invested the cabbage and learn from their mistakes,or not! Just my .02 cents, It's tough to resist, but I would take it easy,warm up to the Board here, and walk before you run, you will be more informed and make a better long term investment, which will net you more hours of trouble free boating and a great experience while you're at it!... :p ...Doc

undertaker
06-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Well said Doc. I like the way you think!!!

blackhawk
06-12-2002, 12:35 PM
Doc is 100% right! Just wait and see what breaks or wears out!

Seriously, from what I have been told and read on this site and OSO exhaust systems do very little for a STOCK EFI motor. But, if you do some other mods like camshaft, headwork, etc they help a lot. Basically, the stock manifolds flow sufficiently for stock engine.(Again, this is what I have been told and have read)

I also have a stock 502 and I am just itching to make it go faster. But there doesn't seem to be a way to do it without a supercharger or getting inside the motor.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-13-2002, 12:59 PM
FASTRUCKER, always glad to hear from you.
I spoke with a 26ZX owner last night with a complete VORTECH Supercharger system and hit 86 on GPS with a stock 502 with new head gaskets...
About $6500 complete and installed. eek!

On the other hand I think you will find your hull can do at 55 MPH what most 26-32 foot boats can not do at all in the bay! :D
Trust me on this one, I live it...

Lastly I think your 502 (just like mine) would get a wake up call from a good K&N and a lab prop for only a few hundred bucks...
I also echo Doc's theory... I often have to get back to reality with a little help from my wife when it comes to the boat!
Bryan

Lil Grizz
06-14-2002, 02:07 AM
Dont forget to take a look at Whipplecharger. There systems have got to be one of the best made I have seen yet. Makes the vortech on my car look sloppy. I dont know how they are as far as performance goes but I have heard they are just as good as the centrifical blowers but with more midrange.

Shanghied Again
06-14-2002, 04:44 AM
LIL Griz, You have to see the new Vortec superchargers for Marine, They are one great looking unit, They also have an Intercooler that you can Inspect by removing the top plate. There is No rubber hoses and everything is Stainless.

Tomahawk
06-14-2002, 05:26 AM
FastT - my impression is that stock motors are set up a little on the rich side in the interest of damage control. Do you get any black soot on the transom after a run? I would suggest going with the K&N intake for about $200 and Stainless Marine exhaust for about $2000. You should pick up 200 to 300 rpm and lighten up the stern a bit as well. Just depends on what it's worth to you. Then you would be ready for more mods in the future if you want to go further. I would call Brownie at Stainless Marine in Miami and ask him. He knows and will give you the straight info.
Lil Griz - so, you like the Whipple. Anything else you want to share? Let's go to Hartwell on the 5th and check out that Lake. :)

33 Daytona
06-14-2002, 05:31 AM
On my 28' with a 454 mag and a Whipple I gained 13mph and another 3 mph when I lab finished my prop. 60mph to 76mph (these are my speedo readings, I'm getting a gps for fathers day for accurate readings)

33 Daytona
06-14-2002, 05:34 AM
Fastrucker, I forgot to mention, gaining mph is expesnsive and addictive! I put the whipple on then the lab finished prop, now I'm playing with shorter lower units and already looking at rebuilding or buying a new engine for next year. Once you start all you want is to go faster. Good Luck