PDA

View Full Version : Rayjay/Big G

CDMA
12-11-2000, 07:47 PM
Guys,

I keep hearing about both your projects. Could you enlighten us to exactly what you are building. Curious minds wonder...

BigGrizzly
12-12-2000, 08:00 PM
Here is the deal. He asked me if i ever build a supercharged boat motor out of a big block, I said no. than I asked hom if he ever built a turbocharged boat motor out of a big block chevy, he said no. He bet me a Bud lite that he could build a twin turbo big block with more power than I could build a super charge big block. I said Ok but moved up the the wager to a mic lite. hense HERE WE GO AGAIN. Right now I up 5hp and 18 ftlbs of torque. He wants a recount. Today he has the Flu so more to come later when he gets better. Righ now we have more than 1 hp cubic inch. Oh yea dead line is Portofino for phase one.
Frank your going to love this one.
Chris if you have read all posts regardless of title, you would have known half of this two weeks ago.

Randy

CDMA
12-12-2000, 08:19 PM
Randy,

I am suprised I missed it. I usually get all posts. Guess I missed one.

Sounds like a cool bet.

Chris

Tom on Lanier
12-12-2000, 11:40 PM
Big Grizzly - you are a real piece of work, my friend! Portofino, here we come !!

------------------
Tom
"Tomahawk"

rayjay
12-13-2000, 04:14 PM
Well BigG, guess I will have to buy you a case of Mic Lite! This Portofino anyway. My motor probably won't be ready until late next year.

One horsepower per cubic inch??? That's easy, normally aspirated we had 545 - 575 in our iron 427 L-88 back in 1968 depending on the induction and whose rules, APBA or Garvey, we were running under. I'm thinking more like 100 horse per liter, at least.

We're still experimenting with some of the pieces and / or trying to figure out who can fabricate what I am looking for, like where to hide the nitrous injectors (where you hiding yours?) in the EFI manifold from prying eyes!! (LOL!) Or more important, spec and fabricate the intercooler, or how much the injectors have to richen up when I add (Klotz) Nitro into the fuel system and who can do the programming to do it, or... (Hey GEOO, I understand) And all this started with a 454, that I bought to put in my Caballero (El Camino with lock washers) so I could tow a boat, that came with a box of spare parts which turned out to include a complete Gale Banks twin turbo w/ intercooler set-up.

As to a boat, I'm dealing on the Criterion as Len got the 20' Cigarette on "Lawnk Guyland". Plus to both have the same hull would make it fair. Now if we can get CDMA to work on some hull tweaks to make them faster...

P.S. Big G, the cats out of the bag now!!

rayjay

mehaynes
12-14-2000, 01:07 AM
Hi guys!
I've been reading some of the posts and just wanted to chime in. I picked up an old Criterion a while ago and it has the general setup as the GB turbo you've been discussing. Rather than FI I'm currently using a Holly 750 w89/90 jets and hope to go to a 850 or 900 cfm soon. Anyway, when I bought the boat I had to replace the turbo housings and I wound up talking with Gale Banks engineering in CA about some funny holes I'd found in the bottom of both housings. Although GBE couldn't answer my questions directly, they did (unbelievably) have the name and number of a retired GBE gent that built the stuff for Donzi. I ended up getting in touch with the guy and he gave me some great info for the GB turbo setup. The housing holes it seems serve as fixed waste gates, limiting boost (eliminating detonation) for pump gas engines and he recommended a max of 8 psi to be safe. For kicks I strapped everything together (no waste gates) and generated about 16 psi while almost (but not quite) managing to blow the engine up. After drilling in 7/16 holes I wound up with about 10 psi @5700 rpm. In discussions with the guy from GB he'd said that every 3 lbs of boost provides about one atmosphere of cylinder pressure. With 454, 8:1 mild cam and a 750cfm he ballparked 550-600hp. I don't know what you fellows have been getting as far as speed but this setup is pushing my 22' about 78mph with a MercII trans and aTRS w/25p Merc prop. I'd had it over 80 last summer with 29p but the trans took a crap. Not sure if I want to put the 29 back on.

Man, I just looked up and realized I've been rambl'n. Anyway, I hope to make it to the Portofino event and put some faces to all the names I've seen on this site.

Mark

Oh, by the way Biggrizzly, I saw a picture of your boat on the site and noticed you live in GA. In one of the pictures are you pulling your boat out of lake Altoona by chance? It looks kinda familiar, I use to live in Marietta.

GEOO
12-14-2000, 10:04 AM
Mehaynes,
Do you have any pictures of the Turbo set up?
I'm interested in the manifold set-up. Do you like the Turbo's? Does the boat lack any low end power? Will you leave it at the 8 psi set up? GEOO

mehaynes
12-14-2000, 03:25 PM
Geoo,
With the 29p prop the spool up time took a bit longer than the 25p. The only low end power I miss with the 25p is instantaneous throttle kick you get from a standard engine while wake jumping. Other than that, from hole shot to full blast you're pretty much pined to the back of your seat. As for the intake and turbo setup, take a look at www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=349 (http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=349) in the registry, it's almost identical. The manifold is a standard GM and the inter cooler on top is not the large (approx. 1.5' x1.5') GB setup but a much smaller 6" x 6" inter cooler (not sure if these things are called inter coolers or not). The current setup runs about 10 psi and I'm sorry but the boat's not in the registry at the moment.

Mark

GEOO
12-14-2000, 04:20 PM
Mark,
Sound's like an exciting ride. I'm in Connecticut, maybe. I'll get a ride some day!!! Tell me if you ever come up to the Tri- State Area. GEOO

BigGrizzly
12-14-2000, 06:46 PM
Which Criterion do you have, One like mine or the ss ot the Criterion II? The reasion your trans crapped was that the merc II doesn't like ti be hammered into gear or sudden acceleration with over 450 hp. I'm real gentle with mine.

mehaynes
12-14-2000, 08:27 PM
It's a 79' and unlike all the other Criterions I've seen so far its got 2+3 classic seating with the driver on the left. The thing that gives it away as a Crit. is the 6" or so of raised engine hatch area and the two 3"x12" (approx.) air intakes on each side.

BigGrizzly
12-14-2000, 11:43 PM
All Criterions Drive from the rear Left or right When you say 2+3 clasic seating Do you mean driving from the bow. Reason for the question is there are only three typs of this boat. Criterion- two bolsters in front and drivers bench in stern with a walk though console in the middle. Criterion SS has a deck between bow seating covered by a hatch (manual or electric)and bench driver in the rear(very rare ). the Criterion II which ony has rear seating. Please look in the regisrty to see if your seating is like mine. If you don't drice from the stern seats you may yet have a even rarer Donzi. Let us know.
The Minx and and several other models have those air intakes and clasic seating with driver bow buckets.

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 12-14-2000).]

mehaynes
12-18-2000, 01:05 AM
Ok, Ok,
I Guess I have to go down to the marina tomorrow and take some pictures. I'll post them when I get the chance. If anyone knows how to research the Hull ID it's DMR220170679F.
Mark