PDA

View Full Version : 25p Mirage....but would like more speed!?!

G - FORCE 88
06-11-2002, 10:03 AM
I am new to the DOnzi world. I just purchased a 1988 22 classic 2+3 witha 1997 454 and Bravo set up. The motor has big port heads and is good for 370 hp. i would like to get more speed out of that motor. I am turning 5100 rpm @72 mph at w.o.t.. I would like to bring thr rpm's down but keep the speed higher if possible. Can somebody help me out with this?WHat should i buy?should i have it cupped or ....????????I need help. thanks Jon :confused:

G - FORCE 88
06-11-2002, 05:01 PM
thnks for your reply. I am turning a Mirage 25p. I am running preety good of a hole shot but would like to lose some hole shot but gain speed at the top end. let me know what you got or any advice...thanks

G - FORCE 88
06-12-2002, 11:14 AM
need help here!!

G - FORCE 88
06-12-2002, 08:34 PM
HELP!!!need some advice :mad: please!

Last Tango
06-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Weell, keep your temper in check there friend. Madpoodle is one of our most respected gearheads here and he gave you good advice. If you search through the last couple weeks of threads, there has been plenty of prop talk and suggestions lately. YOur prop is considered to be one of the very best selections for your hull and motor combination. If you want to try others to find that out, then try a Bravo 24 - 4 blade, or a 26 4-blade. A Mirage 23P is another choice if you feel your RPMs could be bumped about 500 without damaging your engine. 454's have a 4500 RPM limit. Solid engine. Try the props, then a K&N air filter assemply, then a good set of Exhaust manifolds and headers. $1500 plus labor should get you everything you need for that combination.
Mark :cool:

Last Tango
06-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Also, if you know your gear reduction ratio, tell us (marked on the side of the Bravo drive). Reduction ratio is important in picking a prop. You could have a 1.5 or 1.65, or something else. Big difference in speed potential and prop selection. Lot more to it than just a prop, unfortunately. Waaaaaayyyy, more. Stay with us. Read, learn, and talk to the Guru's. You can't be better off than to hook up with Mad Poodle. He knows a lot, and has lots of parts. Better yet, he knows where to find the good stuff and the good people in your area.
Welcome to the BOARD! And welcome to the SEADOGS (SouthEAst Donzi Owners Group). We have many events planned for this summer, so join up with us. We'd love to meet you and see your boat!
Mark :cool: (Supreme SEADOG)

G - FORCE 88
06-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Mark
thanks for the 411. I have heard that about madpoodle......its good to have him around.:-) I am looking for the best possible combo out there. Are Mirages supposed to be hight polish b/c mine isnt anymore its pretty dull now. What do you suggest? thanks for all your great advice its great to have a donzi family :D now!!

Last Tango
06-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Tantan99,
Brand new stainless steel props are shiny. Used stainless steel props can get a dull finish after use. A fresh water washdown and toweling will keep your new shiny prop that way for a good long time. Left in the water over a weekend can dull a bit regardless of salt or fresh. I'm certain you can find a polish for stainless at any marie supply (Boat/US, West Marine, Overtons, etc).
Tell us the colors of your hull, stripe, interior.
Mark :cool: Supreme SEADOG

G - FORCE 88
06-12-2002, 09:06 PM
will the prop being dull wont affect the performance of the boat?Can it be buffed out? How about cupping what do you think of that?>>>jon :)

Rootsy
06-12-2002, 09:16 PM
your mirage is already cupped... but i reckon if you wanted you could have more pressed into it... have her labbed if you want a few mph possibly...

G - FORCE 88
06-12-2002, 09:25 PM
If I could have it cupped how much should I do? What will this do to my motor and drive? How about my rpm's? How will this affect the overall performance of the boat? thanks>>>>jon :D :D

Rootsy
06-12-2002, 09:32 PM
for those answers i'd go straight to a professional who does this every day for a living... they are but a phone call away...

G - FORCE 88
06-14-2002, 10:34 AM
:cool: :D

Ranman
06-14-2002, 10:55 AM
It's possible that it is already a labbed prop. My original Mirage Plus had a very shiny polish. almost like chrome. The labbed prop was more dull. The labbed is what you expect stainledd to look like. Here's a pic: standard on left, labbed on right.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ROakpropside001.jpg

G - FORCE 88
06-14-2002, 01:33 PM
coool!! the one on my outboard is a mirage plus and is shinny like that one and the one on my 22 is dull like the other one so maybe it is labbed!!excellent!! thanks :D :D

riverrat
06-14-2002, 01:51 PM
a polished prop won't be as fast a a satin finish.
it has to do with bite or slip. I'm running a 23" mirage plus that has been re-pitched to 25".that gives you more blade surface. I also have a lab 25". On my 18' I like the re-pitched prop better.
both are great props for these boats. our resident ex-donzi tester has told me the no other props work as good on these boats & he has tried them all.
my 2 cents...sd) :D :D

CDMA
06-14-2002, 02:00 PM
My new mirage lab looks more like the one on the right. Not a shinny finish.

Chris