PDA

View Full Version : Shifter....??????

Scott Pearson
12-11-2000, 10:24 AM
One of the last things I need to get is a shifter. Here is the deal. I love the looks of the Morse, But it doesnt have a trim switch for the drive. So there are a few things (ideas) that Im kicking around.

#1 Taking my stock Morse and machine out a new Billet handle with a built in Trim switch.

#2 Using the Stock Morse shifter with a Steering trim control unit from Bennett. Has anyone used one of these?

I dont like the Mercury 3000 clasic series. Its to black and to euro looking.

Are there any other KOOL looking shifters out there that have trim?

(NJ)Scott

Looped
12-11-2000, 11:06 AM
Scott,
I think you were asking about this before and I mentioned about the Gaffrig Throttles (http://www.livorsi.com/pages/throttles.html).
After that post I requested a Gaffrig Catalog (http://www.livorsi.com/pages/CatOrder.html) that I found a decent looking chrome throttle that mounts on the side just like the original. This Catalog has more in it that what the site shows. Gaffrig also makes these add on switches that clip on to the shaft of the throttle for the drive trim and trim tabs.

Just an idea,
Craig

Craig
12-11-2000, 11:06 AM
Scott,
No help from me, but glad you asked the question. I've also got a Morse throttle and eventually want trim tabs. What Craig (the other Craig) posted sounds cool! Thanks for the info Craig. There is something about the look of the old chrome Morse handle I'd hate to part with.
Craig

Scott Pearson
12-11-2000, 11:11 AM
Craig,
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a catalog and I will let you know how I make out. From what you told me it sounds like they might have what I'm looking for. Kiekeffer...Is that how you spell it? I heard has a chrome one also. But havent found a catalog or someone who knows about that unit.

Thanks again!
(NJ)Scott

BigGrizzly
12-11-2000, 06:50 PM
I use the steering wheel trim on both my boats. The reasion is In a bad situation with both hands on the wheel i can trim up and down with my thum. At a cruise one hand on the wheel I can trim and not touch the throttle. Go for the wheel trim and leave the shifter stock. Big plus is it only takes a half hour.