PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hull exhaust conversion for 16

Greg K
06-10-2002, 11:50 PM
Recently acquired '95 16 with 5.0 thru prop exhaust only. Had a great time this past weekend with it.
Wanting to go with thru hull only and not have the choice.
Can someone explain what I'm looking at and what's involved. Locating and cutting the holes is the obvious one...what to do with exhaust to drive...have looked at several exhaust tips with flappers, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

MOP
06-11-2002, 07:21 AM
I've been kicking around the same idea for awhile, my boats draw back is the power steering ram and other stuff in the way. One thought I had was to turn the elbows forward, use fiber glass U's then the hose routing would be simple. A little lower and outboard than most. I had asked about this in another post, One of the member said that if you power up onto a trailer water can get back into the engine. I have since seen a few setups like that. Still deciding! As far as capping off the Y I would use a couple of layers of roll rubber roofing hose clamped again which I have used in the past with very good results. That setup would also give you the option of some sort of mufflers if the Noise Police get after you.

Greg K
06-11-2002, 09:00 AM
From what I can see...it's clear from the risers to where they would go with nothing in the way..just looking for a little more detail in what's involved and what is done to remove the existing connection to the drive and is it capped or blocked somehow. Noise police are not an issue around here.

Greg K
06-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Talked to Corsa Performance, extremely helpful and answered all my questions. Looks likes a Quick & Quiet II and a set of tips is the easiest answer.

Rootsy
06-11-2002, 06:30 PM
you want to run thru-hull all of the time? it isnt too difficult to do but you will need to remove the engine. YOu have to remove the wishbone and add a block-off plate. the rest is pretty easy with center riser manifolds... 2 lengths of 4 inch rubber exhaust hose, set of mufflers or tips and a 4 inch hole saw and a drill... marking it all out correctly on the transom is the tricky part and add masking tape to the outside of the hull so you don't chip the gelcoat... the new 16's come with corsa mufflers including my boat and it is fairly quiet you can even listen to the radio at idle without cranking it way up...

Greg K
06-11-2002, 10:26 PM
What's nice about the Quick and Quiet II is you don't need to remove the wishbone exhaust pipe or use a block off plate...it's basicaly a Y pipe that replaces the elbow and to the existing wishbone exhaust and provides and outlet to the transom exhaust tips.
Link to Q&Q II (http://www.corsaperf.com/mbrochure3.htm)