PDA

View Full Version : 16387

Kong
12-10-2000, 09:41 AM
Wheee!! I think I found a good one. First time I used E-Bay and nobody outbid me. Either I got a dog or it's too close to Christmas for people to spend that kind of money. Less than 8K got me a '67 Sweet 16 w/Ford Cobra. I'm sure most of the Donzi people here on the boards checked it out. What do you guys think?? I travel to OH to complete the deal on Mon. Thanks to all that helped in getting me informed on Donzi's. Rick Ryan - sorry we couldn't complete the deal - I'm sure somebody out there is happy w/your boat. Bruce - Yours looks like a great boat but was not quite original enough (engine)for me. Tony Sporer - I hope we can get together to discuss the commonalities of our boats. Len - There are boats out there within your price range. You just need time and a very good trailer w/the boat to get it home!! Shipping is very expensive. Scot - I couldn't find any Tee Shirts in Japan for you but I go back in Feb for a couple of weeks and will continue my quest. FastEddie - I'm fairly close so I will try to make the early show and get the boat in the water! Thanks to all.

Tony
12-10-2000, 11:24 AM
David,
Congratulations! Yes, it is probably a very good time of the year to buy a boat, especially in the north. You'll have to take some pictures a.s.a.p. to compare similarities between our boats. My Hull # is 16420 so they should be real close in production dates. My work schedule is not too flexible, so you're on your own in Toledo this week. Good luck!

RickR
12-10-2000, 07:25 PM
Kong
Good luck with the Sweet 16!

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

FASTEDDIE
12-10-2000, 08:36 PM
Kong,
Good luck and I hope everything goes well.
We plan on seeing quite a few new boats this year at the Lake George Donzi Classic Club Spring Dust Off and you and your new boat would be a welcomed sight.We will have 16 Awards this year for the first time ever so you never know.

[This message has been edited by FASTEDDIE (edited 12-10-2000).]

Kong
12-12-2000, 09:20 PM
Ok Guys (and Girls!) How does one post pictures in a post. I'm a little on the ignorant side w/web communications. I have completed the sale of the '67 16387. It is still in storage in Toledo w/ a LOT of very expensive muscle cars so it's in good company. I'd like to have you look at the drive and tell me what I have. What exactly is an Eaton/Interceptor and what is an H/M Drive? I'm also not that familiar w/H/M engines. If my drive train is original how do I determine what I've got? How easy is it to swap drives if I want to convert to Alpha. The block I believe is a 289. Hopefully I can get the pictures up and have you see what I'm referring to.

Tony
12-12-2000, 11:00 PM
Kong,
My outdrive is tagged as an Eaton Interceptor, but is basically a Volvo AQ200B. Look here (http://www.hlsm.com/oem_documents/volvo/htm/PicID.htm) to see if any of these outdrive schematics look like yours. Or check the serial # and cross reference it on the same site.

If it's original it may well be the same as mine, which you can look at in the registry under Tony Sporer. Earliest classics had a true Eaton with the crazy pivoting lower unit (leg twisting 180 degrees to point straight up) for trailering. Volvo 200's in '67, 250's in the later 60's, and 270's/280's in the 70's. That's only based on what I own and know about, and what I read here.

GEOO
12-13-2000, 06:02 AM
Kong, Welcome Aboard!!! Now all you have to do is wait for the ice to thaw!!! GEOO

Kong
12-13-2000, 06:36 PM
I'll try this...Photos. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1399096&a=10450866

Danny
12-13-2000, 09:27 PM
Peter
Nice looking boat, don't change a thing, hope mine turns out that well in the spring, then again mine has been sitting in a boat barn with a bunch of red squirrels and old Glastrons as opposed to a heated garage with muscle cars so I have a ways to go.
Danny

Kong
12-14-2000, 08:16 AM
Danny, I've been reading about your Barn Boat. It looks like our boats are very close in production. I wouldn't be surprised if and when you pull your boat out that it will need surprising little to transform it into the beauty it once was. Barns have a way of preserving classic cars and boats. Espically wooden boats. I've grown beyond that now and am looking to get my hair to stand up on end.
Note for Tony : Looks like I have the Volvo AQ200 Drive. I am now looking for a good up to date matching prop to keep me in the 55 mph range and still not dog the engine. Hard to tell what kind of HP the 289 has got. It has a new holly w/edelbrock but have no idea the cam and head setup. May be capable of 250/300 hp w/right heads. What do you all think??

rayjay
12-14-2000, 09:13 AM
Kong,

When you get the boat you will have to check the engine numbers to see if it is a 289 or 302. In 67 Ford produced both 289's and 302's. The 289 and 302 basically used the same block; similar heads and intake; and used different crank and rods. But either engine is capable of producing that kind of hp, and a lot of parts are available. After you get the boat and you can thoroughly check the inside of the engine you will then know what you need to do and can then decide what you want to do. For example, if the valve seats are shot from unleaded gas you decide to get new "modern" heads rather than have seats put in your old heads. Old FSB heads have horrible exhaust ports, and some of the modern heads are much better. You could spend a lot of time and money trying to improve the old head when the new head will work better out of the box than the old head ever will with hours and hours (and dollar$) of work. I raced a 289 back in the 60's and know how much work it took to get the heads humming, plus the old heads will most likely need seats now, or sometime in the future due to the changes in gas and what they have learned about valve seats.

There are lots of other things, but I would wait until after you know exactly what condition the engine is in.

rayjay

P.S. Real nice looking boat. Reminded me of why I always liked 16's!

[This message has been edited by rayjay (edited 12-14-2000).]

Tony
12-14-2000, 09:34 AM
Peter,
My fresh (40 hours) 302 is reputed to produce about 300 hp. I'm not at all an engine guy so I am only going on what the previous owner told me, but he is quite the gearhead and also trustworthy.
My setup spins an aluminum 14 x 21 for great hole shots, skiing power, and wave-jumping...and a top speed of about 50mph. Switching to a 14 x 23 has me being more careful out of the hole but gives a top speed of about 58mph.
I am itching to try a 14 x 24 SS Volvo Ultra prop, but they are hard to find. Also, you will have to modify your prop shaft to accomodate certain types of props...if the shaft isn't drilled and tapped you will want to do this. There are threads discussing it, let me know when the time comes and I can reference them for you.

Kong
12-14-2000, 04:57 PM
Tony and Rayjay, Thanks for your replies. I'm new to the Ford Corral - SBC guy for years but I do think that the SBF is a strong reliable engine. I agree with you Rayjay that there are aftermarket heads that will add about 40 more HP and I have no intention of trying to rework the originals. The previous owner said it was a 289 Cobra. I do have the serial number but must have left it at work. Tony - Where does one find these props? I kinda guessed that the Volvo prop would differ say from a Mercruiser. What about a Raker? Is there a web site that lists out the props and applications? This is such a great web site! I'm glad that I can participate in these discussions before the boat hits H2O.