PDA

View Full Version : Buying a GPS, any suggestions?

Tidbart
06-10-2002, 10:00 PM
I need some feedback. I am looking for a handheld with a speed functionality. What other functions should I look for? Who is making a good unit? How much? etc. etc.
What is WAAS?
THanks, Bob

tailwind
06-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Hi Guy:

15 years ago I bought a state of the art Trimble Flight Mate, "aviation unit" , which did save my ass scud running from Ft. Worth back here to Jackson, Ms. With almost 1/2 inch icing on the wings and without carb heat, were here to tell the story. BTW Flying an experimental Wittman Tailwind - 2- 4x8 foot wings with a 90 hp Continental engine. Enough said.

Many changes have been made in the past 10 or so years. Also, there are many manufacturers. For "my" money, "Garmin" is the only and leading way to go. "WAAS" is the next generation GPS, using land based correction signals for increased accuracy. From an aviation standpoint, this is really overkill, for basic navigation, speed, etc. check out there " Street Pilot" if you would intend to use for road use etc. You would have the added database of motels, resturaunts, etc., and also the availability of downloading specific areas.

Bottom Line GPS, $125.00

Stix Magill
06-10-2002, 10:59 PM
Tidbit,

If you want basic functions and accurate speed readout, I have some new Magellan 315 units arriving soon. What do you want it to do? Make sure the unit does what you need it to do because GPS units vary a lot in functions (and price). These are basic, but not bottom of the line. I am going to sell some of my leftover 315s as I am buying a partial pallet.
If there are any left I can sell you one cheap. Email me at stixmagill@hotmail.com if you have a question about the unit.

Stix

Dalelama
06-11-2002, 07:00 AM
TB,

I use the GARMIN E-MAP...

it's less than $200... memory chips are available, as are downloadable CD's for more detail and PC programming.

I use it in the boat AND airplane...

It's small, but has quite a large screen for it's size... available most anywhere... West Marine usually has a good selection... shop around.

harbormaster
06-11-2002, 07:02 AM
I saw a GPS when riding with Polly and Mark Horne that was cool. It created a track on the screen of where you traveled. When returning you could just follow the line that the GPS had made on the screen. Very cool. Would the magellan do that?

Digger
06-11-2002, 07:54 AM
I recommend Garmin. There are many features available for a little more money over the most basic models. Key is go to a store that has them and fat finger them all until you decide what features you "need" vice "want".

p.s.
"The Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) is an FAA funded project to improve the overall accuracy and integrity of the GPS signal for flying in instrument meteorological conditions, primarily during the approach to landing phase of flight. It is a space-based system that broadcasts integrity information and correction data as determined by ground reference stations. At this time the system is still in the development stage with a goal of providing reliable signals with an accuracy of 7 meters (21-22ft) both horizontally and vertically 95+% of the time. Current tests have shown the actual accuracy to be on the order of 2-3 meters." Actually I regularly see accuracy down to 12 ft on my GPS 76map

PaulO
06-11-2002, 08:25 AM
I just bought the Garmin etrex mariner. 12 satelites and waas. Unbelieveble how much more functionality compared to my megellan handheld I bought about 4 years ago. $179 at west marine.
PaulO

rms
06-11-2002, 08:50 AM
Harbormaster, the device you are referring to combines GPS positioning with a chartplotter. I believe Garmin calls this functionality 'trackback', kind of like leaving a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back to the dock.

Forrest
06-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Garmin probably gives the most-bang-for-the-buck on the lower price units. The GPS market is very competitive especially in the under $300 range and for that reason, it's easy to get something that works well for very little money. First and foremost, find a unit that is easy to use. Nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out some Asian ergonomics while running 50 mph. In a larger boat, I like a fixed mount unit. Fixed mount units generally have a larger screen than handhelds and you always know where find it. I just replaced my Furuno GP-30 (http://www.furuno.com/nav/gp31.html) fixed mount in the 27 Magnum, which was an OK-but-not-great non-mapping type unit with a Leica MK-40 (http://www.leica-geosystems.com/gps/product/mk40.htm) color C-MAP (http://www.c-map.com/) NT unit. I haven't had a chance to try out the MK-40 yet (except in the drive way), but it seems to be much easier to use and a lot nicer unit than the low-end Furuno.

Woodsy
06-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Hey Bob!!

Tell Ranya congratS on her new job!!

As far as GPS goes, it depends really on budget & usage. I am looking at the Standard Horizon CP-150 or 150C (Color) Chartplotters. THey use a chip from C-MAP, that accurately reproduces a standard marine chart electronically. The reason I am going with them is that they have some incredible cartography and they make a chip just for Winni. The chips run around $100 or so. THey also make chips for Lake George, Lake Cumberland and just about any other body of water you may boat on. THe units are WAAS enabled and are pretty slick. Just think, no more worrying about running up on the witches late at night on Winni!

Those hand held GPS units are pretty cool too... but what I really want is a chartplotter...

Woodsy

McGary911
06-11-2002, 11:03 AM
I have a Standard Horizon on my big boat, and the C-Map cartridges are great. They can show as much or as little detail as you choose, right down to what facilities are available at marinas in the area. I usually boat in one area, but if you drag the boat to a bunch of different lakes, it could get a bit pricey if you have to keep buying cartridges. Without the cartridges, you still get latitude\longitude and the "snail trail", but lose the details. I believe some units can be flash updated via a website for a fee, but I personally have never used one like this.

McGary

Tidbart
06-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it. I see I have a lot of homework to do.

Woodsy, I will forward the message to Ranya. We will both miss Winni this year and Lake George. Hope the new 22 is running well.

Bob

Stix Magill
06-12-2002, 08:46 PM
Harbormaster,

The handheld Magellan 315 has the "breadtrail" feature you mentioned. Although inexpensive, they are really easy to use and more fun than I expected. You can program it to alarm if you veer off coarse by various distances. Think foggy nights! I assume all the expensive units have this feature as well, but I am not sure.

I love the digital speedometer and the user-programmable waypoints (500). I have programmed all the bream beds that I found this season so I can find them next year!

RickR
06-13-2002, 05:37 PM
I find the GPSs with the keys (buttons) on the front are easier to use when fix mounted.
Currently Magellan has more bang for the buck if you want the map function. And there basic PC software is free. (Garmin $69)
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rryan10gps.jpg
BTW I have had two Garmin GPS 48s fail and I have two other Garmins malfunctioning. :mad: