PDA

View Full Version : Hooked hulls and donzi,anybody else???

fasttrucker
07-01-2003, 09:36 AM
My boat is a 28zx from 1998.It has a hook..1/8" on the left and 3/16" on the right.On the back of the boat before the first step.Top fiberglass man says $1500 to $2000 to fix.I quess i should have checked this before i bought the boat.The big ?,s i have are:
1)was this an error by donzi?
2)was this put in to keep the boat from
being too flighty?
3)Has anyone else have this happen?
4)I like to talk to someone from donzi
that was around in 1998.
Thanks in advance too all that can help.
My boat is still the best on the bay!
It was the photo cover boat for donzi in 98

Greg Maier
07-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Bill,

From what I saw of your boat last year in the 3 foot seas at 65 mph, you run flat and fast.

1/8 inch is the same thing as 2/16 inch. The port side has a 2/16 inch hook and the stbd side a 3/16 inch hook. Depending on how accurately the measurements were taken, you might have almost identical hook on both sides. Just my speculation, but I would imagine that your hull is designed with a tiny bit of hook. The hook keeps your bow down, trimming the drive gets your bow up.

I think you should step back and re-evaluate the situation. We are talking about relatively crude machines here. By relatively crude, I mean Donzi's aren't designed for supersonic flight and re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere. I would imagine that your hull is within specs for the relatively crude machine that it is. Don't get me wrong, I really like Donzi's, but lets look at the big picture and put them into perspective with regards to manufacturing tolerances and quality control.

Air 22
07-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Interesting.... :rolleyes: This sounds like a question for our resdent engineering expert...CDMA? :D Chris...this can't be a quality control issue? eek!

mattyboy
07-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Fast,
is the hook at the transom, or at the end of the step?? and are they closer to the keel or the water line??
the reason being hooks are usually in the water when getting on plane then out of the water once on plane.

Matty
a 16 hooker

Walt. H.
07-01-2003, 11:34 AM
F.T,

1/8" & 3/16th" over what length? To small to even concern yourself with. Most likely just from winter storage lay-up. It'll "breath out" once it's floating. Have two Beer's and re-check it in Oct.
Come to think of it! For $1500. to $2000.00 you could buy alot more than two boat soda's for us all Or fuel for yourself. :p Note:Your hull flexes more then that! just cruising in mild water's.
Straighten your engine problem out and don't sweat the rest and enjoy it.
This glass guy must know your eng,push rod guy!
2-thou, my a@#SS!
my $.02
Walt.
"Up date: Fast Trk'r; I didn't say "you should get a second fiberglass shop to take a look." I said "Enjoy what you have don't sweat the rest, Save your money and buy gas instead."

That's not a Hook,& I bet with three on board in the water you'll get a "Rocker"!!!

oldLenny
07-01-2003, 12:15 PM
I have to echo the sentiments above...1/8" ??? over probably 6'...VERY small indeed. Could be from the trailer, or it could have always been there. I wouldn't give it a second thought, and if it were me I would pretend like I never heard about it in the first place and go enjoy the boat.

fasttrucker
07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Well greg is right my boat runs flat+fast, but with added hp i need to get the bow up some.Mattyboy the hook starts at the transom toward the front step.Walt.h.,I agree that i should get a second fiberglass shop to take a look.Lenny enjoy the boat?Thats a good reply :p and we have been so lucky in life.Life is good when your out in the bay on a donzi. :cool: We went out sun+monday,we are going out tomorow morning,then while the kids are in the pool at the marina.I get to wash+_wax the boat.ya! wink

BigGrizzly
07-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Bill, that hook in a double stepper won't give you any speed or handling difference. your boat flexes much more than that on the trailer. You need to save your money and take thoes kids and the wife out to dinner. A second opinion won't net anything but mental anguish. Every boat made has a hook or rocker in it some place on the hull. Fiberglass shops send their kids to Prinston University telling the same story to other people. Dam it enjoy the boat and stop looking for trouble, if it is there it will find you soon enough!!!