PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the mother ship ?

Sam
06-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Has anyone ever towed a sixteen or an eighteen behind a cruiser type boat. I have a 38' with twin 454 Horizons that I contemplating towing my sixteen with a short distance. I have seen guy's towing dingys,jet skis, and small jet boats but the thought of towing the sixteen scares me a bit. What are your thoughts.

THX
Sam

Dr. Dan
06-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Sam, I would only be concerned if no one was watching it, you really don't want that puppy running into the Mother Ship :rolleyes: , I had my 22 Towed behind a 32 St. Tropez for a short distance last summer in Grand Haven area, again the only concern is when you slow down or rogue wakes! Otherwise I would just have someone drive it along behind like a big water ski! :D ...Doc

MOP
06-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Yup the two line thing works so you can center it up in you wake drive up, if its wagging around you can cure that with line length usually a few feet past the roster tail another trick I have used is to take a third line and tie it off to the stern cleat then a little loose to the bow cleat get one turn and bring it to the big boat. Got you thinking? when you have to manuver you can whip it off the cleat and with a coulple of big bumpers hangin off you transom pull the sixteen side ways up to the transom and tie it off tight you will be surprised how nice that works. Someone with good hands must be on the lines. But no matter what in a following sea line length is very important to keep the heavy surge off the lines. Also three strand has good stretch where as Sampson braid has very little stretch and can put very heavy stress on cleats and eyes. I have towed hundreds of boats some very large and over the years and learned alot of tricks. A few starts and stops for practice are invaluable, don't want to ding either one.

MOP
06-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Yup the two line thing works so you can center it up in you wake drive up, if its wagging around you can cure that with line length usually a few feet past the roster tail another trick I have used is to take a third line and tie it off to the stern cleat then a little loose to the bow cleat get one turn and bring it to the big boat. Got you thinking? when you have to manuver you can whip it off the cleat and with a coulple of big bumpers hangin off you transom pull the sixteen side ways up to the transom and tie it off tight you will be surprised how nice that works. Someone with good hands must be on the lines. But no matter what in a following sea line length is very important to keep the heavy surge off the lines. Also three strand has good stretch where as Sampson braid has very little stretch and can put very heavy stress on cleats and eyes. I have towed hundreds of boats some very large and over the years and learned alot of tricks. A few starts and stops for practice are invaluable, don't want to ding either one.

Formula Jr
06-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Find out where your second or third stern wake is at 30-35. You will want the Donzi to be climbing this wake.

Donzified
06-11-2002, 07:11 AM
All good advise. No reason to leave your favorite toy home alone.I have towed my 18 with the 36' Cris Craft more times than I can count.A mother ship needs a good tender.

Sam
06-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Thank's guy's I'll give it try on the right day. Keith give me a shout, I would like to pick your brain a bit on your tow experience using your Chris.

Sam

harbormaster
06-12-2002, 06:56 AM
another way is to use the lifting eyes to lift it up and store your 18 on the aftdeck of your mother ship. Thats what I do. wink wink wink