PDA

View Full Version : Donzi marketing? Wouldn't you love to know.....

Donzigo
07-01-2003, 06:53 AM
It's an old subject that we have talked about amoungst ourselves and danced around it often on the board. But, wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall in the board room, to know what the marketing direction is for this wonderful boating ICON.

There is very defintely something to the "Donzi mystic"......I've owned 1987 & 1989 Donzis, and when I pull up to Shell Island or a local restaurant, I get the looks and questions, as we all do; and, people get up to see the boat. It's interesting to see a guy in a $200,000+ Active Thunder, Formula, etc. pull up and people hardly notice.

Given this obvious brand awareness, one has to wonder what the marketing direction is. Campaigning an APBA racing boat isn't cheap. My guess is that the budget would be in the "over $1,000,000 category". So, with all that exposure, is the aim just to sell a few high perormance 38 footers.

It's a philsophical question, for sure; and, they owners have every right to spend their money the way they see fit. But, in love with Donzis since since age 16, and a "Donzi loyalist", I do see a potential to take the brand name DONZI to a higher level.

This is by no means a Donzi Company bashing thread; so, if you respond, keep that in mind. I'd just love to know why this huge marketing potential goes untapped.

"If money is on the table, why not pick it up?"

RickSE
07-01-2003, 10:57 AM
American Marine Holdings (Donzi/ProLine) has been very dynamic these last few years. At times it's hard to figure out what direction the Donzi side of the business is going and who they're targeting to buy their boats.

I'm concerned about some of the recent happenings at Donzi. Within the past year several key people heve left the company and there's been a definite shift in warranty coverage on new and sold boats. It's very apparent that they're tightening their belts. I just hope the racing program pays off and helps sell boats.

On a side note, apparently AMH tried to sell off ProLine Boats recently but the deal fell through.

2biguns
07-01-2003, 11:29 AM
The only money that Donzi is likely to see from me, and a lot of us, would be in the form of merchandise (which does not appear to exist).

That does not mean that I have any intention of owning anything other than a Donzi and does not mean that I would not go through my favorite Donzi dealer (Nelems Marine) to purchase my next boat. I just can't see spending new boat money for a toy that will cost 1/2 or more of what our house costs.

It makes me mad to send $ to Cigarette Racing for t-shirts, huggers, etc. just because they have such a user/consumer-friendly website and lots of cool shirts. I used to place semi-annual Donzi merchandise orders with Jackson Marine until goods no longer available.

Maybe Donzi feels that clothing/merchandise is not a cost-effective marketing tool. That certainly goes against the grain of the huge emphasis that Donzi's partner, Harley Davidson, places upon such marketing. Where else do you get the chance to have people pay you to advertise for you?

Barry Phillips
07-01-2003, 11:46 AM
American Marine Holdings has brought Donzi back from the dead. I have friends who mention to me I saw your boat in some movie. I know it's a ZX and not the Classic series Donzi, but they see the name and that's enough. I work in marketing and advertising and Donzi has the some of the best brand reconition in the marine business, next to Cigarrete and SeaRay. I think the company can thank Don Aronow for this. My 22 never failes to draw questions, people just know it's special, and most of them are suprised that it's American made. Don Arronow allowed the made in Europe urban legend to take root in the 60s when boat reviewers compared the 16 to a Jaguar, the Union Jack on the early boats did not hurt either. I see a Donzi TV spot running on Speed Vision during APA offshore, and in my opinion it's now award winner, at least the factory sticks a Classic 18 and Donzi model April in it, the rest of the add is a crummy canned sound track and action shots of a ZX and a fish boat. I still don't think that factory has recongnized the fact that the Classic still draws most of he attention, no offence to you ZX and Daytona guys.

SO-SLO

smokediver
07-01-2003, 11:47 AM
I agree Donzigo . Donzi is missing out on a huge untapped market.. the merchandise and promoting a lifestyle, like harley has been able to do... There really isn't too much difference in our club and a HOG chapter... We represent a cross section of society from for example myself as a firefighter to say last tango, a finance wiz .. bob , a electrical wiz .. Different incomes and professions but a common interest in taking our donzi's out for a run...Big potential there ... But with the Miller brother's no longer there , I wonder what kind of support we are going to continue to receive..I see Donzi chasing the bigger boat market but I honestly think it is the people with average means who are more loyal donzi enthusiasts...and who will be repeat customers and who will buy the merchandise that goes into ownership.. JMO..

florida gator
07-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Perhaps they could make me (an average guy) an offer to travel around cruising in one of there mid size boats to "promote" it. People will see that Donzi also appeals to "regular" people and not just speed buffs. :)

BTW, I too am in advertising and have started the ball rolling to my own promotional products distributorship. So, if any of the clubs out there need some promo items give me a couple of weeks to get things in place and I'll be able to help you out.

boldts
07-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Like asked, I will not bash AMH, but if something isn't done about the warranty service, I don't think it will matter how much they promote their products. Has a club president, I get a number of e-mails from owners telling me of bad deals with the warranty area of Donzi.

As any of you who are in business for yourselves know, word of mouth is one of your biggest new client attractants. It's true even if you work for a major comglomerate company. The circle always seems to come full circle if your work shines. May take a while, and others may even take credit for a while, but if they didn't do the work or know how to support the product, they are descovered in the end.

Back to the subject. Look at the Donzi merchandise issue. Nothing out there. Dale Earnhardt lead the way in how to get your name out to the public. Every driver in Nascar now sells enough merchandise to support their families through the rest of their lives. The fans love the stuff and supporting their drivers. It's no different with Donzi owners. When we take ours to the lake, we always have a club shirt on. If there were generic Donzi shirts available, we'd wear them also.

AMH's path for Donzi really appears to be unclear. It's great to see Donzi in racing again. It gives us owners something to talk about at the office or even the lake, but does it sell more boats to people who can afford them? I think more used Donzis are bought and sold than new ones. Maybe not. Take a look at the dealer family. They pop up and it seems a year later, they're gone and the boats sold as bank repos.

Sure hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Would be nice just to know who the new marketing persons are at Donzi. Have the Miller brothers been replaced by anyone? Seems to be another hush hush subject. As a club event holder, it sure would have been nice to have some Donzi representation at the gathering.

Cuda
07-01-2003, 07:00 PM
I think Donzi is missing there niche in boating and marketing. In the 16 to 22 foot sportboat, they have no competetion, that I know of. When they press towards fish boats and larger performance boats, there is a ton of competetion. Donzi owners are the most rabid loyal owners, along with Cig owners. ANYTHING that says Donzi on it will sell. Check out the amount of merchandise available at the Formula website. www.formulaboats.com (http://www.formulaboats.com)

Fish boy
07-01-2003, 11:18 PM
IMHO, the mebers here are are probably Donzi's best (although marginally tapped) marketing resource. Most of us are fanatics and many know as muvh or more about the boats and the history/mystique than most anyone at donzi.

I take every oportunity to talk donzi with anyone who wants to know; and as DOnzigo pointed out, lots of people want to talk about our boats. Hopefully DOnzi will continue to reach out with things like the hometown rally to keep us selling. With the departure of Nick and Mike, I am not sure if they will continue to recognize a few crumbs gets armies of dock to dock salesmen pushing their boats.

Lets not forget to pat Scot on the back either. How many people have joined this board looking for a little info and ended up buying a boat? I can think of several just since I joined.

I am not a marketing person, but it seems that there is a trememdous grass roots marketing program going on every time we take our boats out, or have an event. who knows how much better it could be with a little support/direction from donzi. Heck, If I could buy a shirt they would have a walking billboard and I would be paying them for the advertisement.

BigGrizzly
07-02-2003, 12:36 AM
I agree with most of what was said. Just realize how much merchandise cos to start up and produce. Its more than just stick a logo on. Look at HONDA how much F1 stuff do you see in stors. Yes biks have some but it is riding apparel. As for comparing NASCAR and Earnhart to Donzi isn't close. Nascar has a bigger folling than even basball. Everone has a car and most are wantabe drivers.
As for boats some boaters don't even know that APBA exhists nor do they care. The F2 championship was great but doesn't put Donzi on the map for sales to the general public. Just the other day some guy called my Criterion a cigarette boat. You have no idia how long I verbally brutalized him. Then I told him to get rid of that piece of s*** wantabee V hull and get a real boat(he was not in a Bajha). needless to say this is the real norm out there. It cost real money to do clothing, its not just a run of 40 event tee shirts. Agood example is Datona 500. before the race they are $10->14 for a tee , on monday after the race they go as low as 3 for $10 from the sidwalk vendors. Besides Cigarette has been in the chapter 11 status much more than Donzi over the past 40 years, what does that tell you. I can only say that with a Harley partner, maybe they will share the clothing issue. Yes I do like Donzi Duds, and have always liked them. heck I have a shirt from 1966 and 60 pounds ago and still have it.

Formula Jr
07-02-2003, 02:36 AM
Full page ad in Trailer Boats Magazine:

Two Donzi 16 Ski-Sporters, suspended by their lifting rings. The left one is a 1964. The right one is a 2004. Under the left one is the President of AMH. Under the right one is the VP of AMH. Below the script says, "Some boats just started out being perfect. DONZI - Beyond Performance." :)

mattyboy
07-02-2003, 07:59 AM
JR
we need pics of that !!!!! :D

Matty

Shanghied Again
07-02-2003, 10:06 AM
The big problem I see is The Racing Program costs DONZI way to much money. The ZR will never be a big seller,(No Cabin) so there is no sense in throwing big money into a market that doesn't catch the public eye! Poker Runs in Key places always catches the eyes of boaters and the public. The Movie spots and TV are great if they show more then 5 seconds of a clip.. The main Item DONZI has to follow through on is taking care of there waranty issues. There boats are beautiful, The Millers were the best in keeping up with Donzi/Customer relations, They are missed.

Barry Phillips
07-02-2003, 06:39 PM
You don't have to race to market items like prop covers and key floats, plus I can think of a few more like life jacket bags with the Donzi prop logo on it, sunglasses, seat covers, vintage decals for Classic owners, engraved cleats (one of the hottest items at the NY Boat Show, raised logos, I've seen this on just about entry level and mid-priced boat at the NY to. I have Swiss Army watch, Jeep sells these with there logo on it, a watch with a ZX logo would be dam cool. Trailer graphics, I for one would buy a Donzi prop cover in a heart beat, and I know the folks on this board would eat this stuff up. Check out Cigarette's web site some time. Like I said Donzi has great brand reconition, to bad the powers that be don't have the imagination to match. Cobalt has automotive style keys, it's all about the details.

As for warranty issues, maybe Donzi should look to Cobalt also, maybe even hire there svevice manager. If I were not such a Classic lover, I think I would look else where, the ZX line has a lot of competition.

PS is Mike's job still open, I have a lot more Ideas.

SO-SLO

DON N.
07-02-2003, 07:12 PM
GO FOR IT BARRY ! HOWS THE NEW 22' DOING I GOT SIDE TRACKED @ SUNDAY L.GEORGE RUN. ALSO TRIED TO E-MAIL YOU BUT GOT A RESPONSE FROM BECKY .

roadtrip se
07-02-2003, 10:45 PM
The Cigarette logo stuff is a million dollar bidness for them, plus some. Big profits!

I approached both of the Miller's about taking over the apparel business under a license agreement at the Miami Boat Show. Offered to produce a business plan and the works. We have the resources to produce one or thousands of pieces of quality stuff at fair prices.

My suggestion is to buy every piece of clothing you can from Scot and support this site!

I was told that upper management wished to have complete control over every logo design and cloth swatch decision. End of story.

Don't even get me started on their dealer network and their racing program...

Still love my Classic...

Todd

Barry Phillips
07-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Don my e-mail is barry.phillips@verizon.net.

KMLFAMILY
07-04-2003, 06:15 AM
I just saw the July issue of BOATING.Lots of Donzi coverage.They are in ads,review articles,race coverage.Almost looks to be an alliance between Donzi/Boating Mag.? This could be a good thing.
http://www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=13&article_id=341&page_number=1

harbormaster
07-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Does anyone have a prop cover they can loan me? I want to copy it and make some prop covers.

RickSE
07-07-2003, 10:33 AM
It's getting worse.

I talked to my dad last night, he told me there will be no more Z-Care Warranty as of model year 2004. Last year they eliminated Z-Care for the smaller boats and now no Z-Care at all. What is going on?? :confused: The lack of warranty is really going to hurt sales.

Donzi Blackhawk
07-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Scot,

Are you still looking for a prop cover?
Let me know, I have two of them. Call me (941) 780-2886

Bryant