PDA

View Full Version : Drive alignment question

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-09-2002, 09:14 PM
I will be be scheduling my 100 hour this week, the mechanic said it is oil, drive fluid change (which I do every 25 and don't need) and the meat and potatoes is the ECM code check and drive alignment check ($260 with all new fluids).

Wouldn't I know already if my drive was not aligned?
Just curious, I will have it done just to protect myself if I have a warranty issue.
ALSO as summer heat arrives my 502 is idling at about 600 hot, vice 700/800.

Great weekend for the Donzi. Not so great for two good friends, one rubbed a bridge thanks to a cruiser not doing the 6 knots (big wake) and another got an anchor chain tied up in two drives.
I did add a good scratch to the rub rail. :o

Thanks... Bryan

MOP
06-10-2002, 07:14 AM
I even today am still fanatical about drive alignment, any drive should be pulled every year greae the U joints and inspect all mounting, bellows, hoses etc. carefully. Cheap insurance! Use light grease on the toll, the spline pattern MUST be even. If you feel the tip hit its is out, the tip contact will tell you which way you must move the engine. I will not tolorate any contact of the tip what so ever, remember the day you must get home is when the hub will cook. I just finished supervising a very good auto now marine mechanic put the drive back on a 24 Outlaw with a newly jucied 502 fuely. I know I am a critical old fart, but you have only one way to that is RIGHT!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
06-10-2002, 08:58 AM
MOP, thanks, I didn't realize wear would be an idicator of something bad which would come over time. A couple of my buds said it was a waste of time.
Since it is by appointment I may just stick around and watch the guy.
Thanks again.
Bryan